Page 1 of 2
so i bought guitar hero and played it last night...grabbed my real guitar today and for some reason, i sounded and played a lot better...has anyone else noticed improvements?
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
I think Guitar Hero will help you keep rhythm and time (if you play on the more difficult levels) but I don't think it will make you play guitar better.
No
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
It can make your forearms sore which, after recovering, gives you more strength (another thing that does that is playing your regular guitar). As far as making you more skilled, the two aren't anything alike; unless you just play in drop D and plan on barring the whole fret all the time.
Nope. None at all.
The only thing it'll really help is rhythm, because it's really a test of rhythm more than anything. It might also help small hand movements if you play on expert, but aside from that I don't think it would really help that much.
Not really, I can only think of 2 things it does. Increase your ability to use your pinky if you're a begginer and increase finger speed if you really get into it. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else.

I 5 starred jordan on espert btw =P muahaha. I only dont have 5 stars on six =\

yeah see ^^ he beat me to it
I think alot of guitar pro is just memory, alot of the time people arn't viewing the screen to seee what they have to do, they jst know through playing it soo much, so your not really helping yourself alot there.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
ya, i play alot better too

mostly due to the fact that i have more than 5 notes on a real guitar
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
definitely! it improves your dexterity/hand-eye coordination and its what actually got me into guitar!
ya...i didnt think it would make u a pro...but certain skills might slightly improve....or maybe im just getting better...who knows
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
so i bought guitar hero and played it last night...grabbed my real guitar today and for some reason, i sounded and played a lot better...has anyone else noticed improvements?

-Maybe you're all suffering from a placebo mass-effect.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
I most definitely think it does. Ive been playing expert for a long time now and I noticed that Im a lot faster than I used to be.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by whatadrag
definitely! it improves your dexterity/hand-eye coordination and its what actually got me into guitar!

thennnn....you probly dont know crap

but i think it helps finger speed..kinda
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Christ all-f*cking mighty, not this sh1t again...

...NO IT DOES NOT HELP.

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Even if it does slightly help, one things for damn sure: it doesn't help as much as real guitar, and if you had spent all of those hours of playing video games playing a real guitar instead, your skills would be much better.

It's common sense; it may help, but if you face the facts you should be practicing your guitar 24/7 instead of being on a game console in the evening.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by steven seagull

...NO IT DOES NOT HELP.

why even bother replying....
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by steven seagull

...NO IT DOES NOT HELP.

Dude, have you even played the game. Sure on medium it wont help, but I know what Im talking about, and its helped my speed a lot.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by philipp122
Even if it does slightly help, one things for damn sure: it doesn't help as much as real guitar, and if you had spent all of those hours of playing video games playing a real guitar instead, your skills would be much better.

It's common sense; it may help, but if you face the facts you should be practicing your guitar 24/7 instead of being on a game console in the evening.

noones saying u all of a sudden become clapton....but how can u deny it will improve finger speed and timing?....also stamina....if anything at all...its at least finger exercises...
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
^He doesn't deny it will improve finger speed and timing?!

He says that playing guitar is more beneficial to playing guitar than not playing guitar. Makes sense, no?

I completely agree with philipp122. Fun game though
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
No, it's way too different. On a real guitar, you have six strings that are made of steel and resist both your fretting and picking hand.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Like everyone already said, it helps a bit but you can't switch it for real practice instead.
Quote by Rhitard
Like everyone already said, it helps a bit but you can't switch it for real practice instead.

You forgot the /thread.

Seriously, it's a fun game, and it may help a little bit, but don't go playing it to help your playing skills. Go play your real guitar. Meh, it's 10 times more fun anyways .
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
^ That depends. I would have more fun with some beers, mates and guitar hero that I would just with my guitar. I have most fun with some beers, mates and real guitars, drums and an audience.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by philipp122
You forgot the /thread.

Seriously, it's a fun game, and it may help a little bit, but don't go playing it to help your playing skills. Go play your real guitar. Meh, it's 10 times more fun anyways .

I haven't done that before. I'm not worthy of /thread-ing
im sorry,,,, this thread went way way beyond what i was thinking..in no way was i saying playing the game would make u good at guitar...or its better than practicing the real thing...i was mainly talking about sharpening certain things.....like fingers speed and stamina...i should have been more clear...
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Ænimus Prime
^ That depends. I would have more fun with some beers, mates and guitar hero that I would just with my guitar. I have most fun with some beers, mates and real guitars, drums and an audience.

absolutely.....i just bought the game off craigslist for the 360...$40 for the game and two guitar controllers...i couldnt pass it up...alcohol is a must for the friend to friend battle
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
you know i think it does. it helps with timing especially if you use "alternate picking" when ur doing it. and really having a good sense of rhythym is what guitar is all about isnt it? all music for that matter
i would imagine it would help to some extent
But i doubt you should play souly as as a practice tool
Quote by Ænimus Prime

-You are spot on about Guitar Hero, it's a party game and a very fun one but I doubt it has any grand effect on my guitar playing.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Actually, I find Guitar Hero is a brilliant warm up. 10 minutes of playing and my fingers are nice and stretched for the real thing.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
....My god. I wish that Guitar Hero was never made. Drunk idiots everywhere think that they are guitar gods now. It's not even close to a real guitar. It's kind of guitar shaped, but that is where the similarities end. I can't believe that some of you actually think it is improving your actual guitar playing.

If guitar hero is improving your playing, I think that it would probably be a good idea for you to drop the instrument forever. Please.
FYI, I once read an interview with a studio guitarist who was in support of Guitar Hero because he thinks it can improve your rhythm when hanging out with mates who can't play.

Point is, someone better than you has a different opinion to you.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by mrkaizoku
....My god. I wish that Guitar Hero was never made. Drunk idiots everywhere think that they are guitar gods now. It's not even close to a real guitar. It's kind of guitar shaped, but that is where the similarities end. I can't believe that some of you actually think it is improving your actual guitar playing.

If guitar hero is improving your playing, I think that it would probably be a good idea for you to drop the instrument forever. Please.

Its a game man, and thats all it will be. I know it has helped me improve my finger speed and dexterity. Dont dismiss the idea if youve never played on expert for a year.

So you are saying because I play a game, I should just give up my passion when I could be headed for bigger and better things?
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by mrkaizoku

im sorry that a video game would cause so much pain a frustration in ur life....
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
no not the guitar PLAYING, but the coordination, stretching and pinky use..

and yeah this is what got me into playing too so...

but NEVER say youre a guitarist just because ur good in guitar hero! thats ****ING ASSFACED!
Page 1 of 2