Poll: Which Do You Prefer, For Home Recording?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Do You Prefer, For Home Recording?
Logic Pro 8
7 44%
Pro Tools LE
9 56%
Voters: 16.
Right, so i dont know if this has been done properly before, i searched and didnt really find anything that helped me much...

So what are the pros and cons of these two programs?

And which is better for what application?

Which is the most reliable, easy to use and compatible?

For the home recording artist,- which would be better (vocals, guitar, bass, ocasional MIDI, and maybe drums?)

Which allows for the best selection of interfaces and compatability with other gear you might already have?

Dont let cost influence your opinions too much.

How do they run plugins in terms of performance and reliablity

So, Logic Pro 8 seems to work with any audio interface right? is that really a good thing? where as Pro Tools LE needs to use the Mbox or some M-audio stuff? Can you use the Mbox with other software and will it still sound good?

Does the Line6 tone port work well with Logic Pro 8? and what is the best interface for Logic Pro 8?

What is the easiest to learn to use properly? What gives the best quality recordings (regardless of the engineer)?

Obviously Logic only works on MACs but what OS does Protools work best with?

Thankyou, please help us people out there trying to decide
I think Logic is best if you don't have professional training in sound. Pro Tools can do a lot, but it's mainly intended a Digital Multi-track Recorder, for use with real studio outboard gear.

- Pro Tools doesn't support VST plugins (common software instruments). It uses very expensive higher quality "RTAS" plugins which are often uncrackable.
- Pro Tools is far from easy to use. You need to take a course in it just to know the basics.
- Pro Tools only works with Digidesign's interfaces (Mbox2, 002 rack etc.) or M-audio if you get the M-audio version of Pro Tools.
- 80% of Pro Tools functionality is controlled through thousands of keyboard shortcuts. It's a nightmare unless you spend months learning them.
- I prefer using Pro Tools with Windows, but using it with Apple is pretty much the same except for shortcut use.
- For your purposes, there's no difference in quality of recordings.

Maybe someone else can fill you in about Logic. As a Windows user, I haven't seen much of it. But it includes much better synths and I think you can teach yourself to use it.
Last edited by Ki' at Oct 3, 2007,
Thankyou, can the Mbox be used with logic?
what is the line6 toneport like for use with logic?
which program suports MIDI best?
Mbox can be used with Logic I am pretty sure. Logic is wayyyyy beyond the league of the toneport - in my opnion it is the most powerful sequencer out there since the upgrade to Logic 8 which added many key features from Protools whilst still retaining the amazing midi capabilites from previous versions. So yes - I think it is definitely better for midi, and I think even diehard Protools fans will admit midi is not its strong point.

Just a note - but look at the cost of the two - Logic Studio is $500 cheaper than previous version making it more affordable than Protools. I don't mean to bash Protools at all - I think it is very powerful software - I just think that after the new upgrades to Logic Studio and the lower price point that Logic is better.

Also note that both sequencer will take a WHILE to learn - they are not toys. Expect to spend quite a bit of time learning either one.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

well at the price they are fine - but they are definitely at the bottom end of the recording gear chain.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

ok, could you point me in the direction for the best inteterface for Logic?
can you use analog effects/hardware AFTER the track has been laid? or are you then just limited to using the digital effects in the software and plugins?
appearently alot of protool and cubase people are switching over to logic now. I haven't tried it myself, but protools is way overrated, and the most recent version of logic seems quite stunning from what I've seen and heard.
Yes thankyou, thatd be cool, have you had any expierience with a protools setup Brianapocalypse?... is your logic session in 7 or 8?
Turns out the new studios are pro tools too.

So I cannot comment on the merits of logic.

Anyways, Pro Tools.

It's quite a steep learning curve, and will take you about 6 months to get the hang of every common function.

You can enrol on a course, as many are available, or you could buy a book, there's some good ones on the market at the moment.

MIDI is certainly an overcomplicated area of Pro Tools, and undoubtably its achilles' heel, while aside from this, it's more or less top class in everything.

I've never had a crash with pro tools. Wish I could say the same for pretty much anything with computer chips in it.
Oh, just a note - the Mbox will require you get an "M powered" version of protools.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Quote by thrice_removed
Oh, just a note - the Mbox will require you get an "M powered" version of protools.

No, the M-powered version is only if you'll be using the M-Audio interfaces. The MBox was the original LE version, and that little box had killer Focusrite preamps. Buying the MBox today you get a standard ProTools LE version 7.

Quote by gnr_axeman74
anyone else notice he said the LE version of pro tools?......

Yes, and the difference between LE and the TDM version (is it even called that these days?) is not much in terms of functionality. The most basic things for the standard user is that LE has a lower track count and that it is missing some commands and shortcuts. (I know that there are more differences but for most users this is what it will come down to.)

Now for pros and cons:

ProTools LE:

- Excellent audio recording and editing.
- Very stable as long as you keep the host computer relatively free of other, for music recording purposes, useless applications. The "marriage" of hardware and software, and the proprietary RTAS plugin standard means that there are far fewer problems overall.
- Fairly intuitive as far as setup and connectivity is concerned. It will take a bit of time getting used to but it's not as hard as people make it out to be.
- Still, and this includes the latest version 7 upgrades, almost beyond crappy when it comes to MIDI editing. Anything can be done but it will generally take two to three times as long as in Logic (and I've worked in Logic far less than I have in ProTools).
- Memory locations is an outstanding piece of work that will ease workflow like mad once the user learns the possibilities. (Haven't seen anything similar in Logic so far.)
- Ignition Pack is a great value. The BFD Lite package alone is more than enough value.

Logic:
- More open-ended than ProTools but also less stable because of it.
- Originally designed to simulate the analog studio recording setup and the various windows handle different things. Unless you've actively worked with a physical patch bay it is a bit hard to come to grips with how to set up MIDI ins and outs and various routings.
- Outstanding MIDI editing capabilities. Easily the best I've worked with. If you're a programmer, like me, then working with velocity and timing changes, which are necessary to give parts a more or less "live" feel, then this is the s***.
- Audio editing is still not quite up to par in my opinion. It's gotten better but it still is a step or two extra compared to ProTools. (Granted I haven't spent much time in the Logic universe from version 7 onward; perhaps I'm missing something.)
- The EXS 24 mkII is an excellent software sampler. ProTool's Structure hasn't quite gotten there yet (and, of course, the EXS 24 mkII is free which is mind-boggling).
- Overall the plugins in Logic are better and more versatile. Using only the stock plugins in Logic you can actually master your own work, even as far back as the version 5 plugins, something that just isn't possible with the stock plugins in ProTools.

In the end both programs are hard in their own way and choosing one over the other before actually trying them out for yourself is a bit of a craps game.
Quote by ebon00
No, the M-powered version is only if you'll be using the M-Audio interfaces. The MBox was the original LE version, and that little box had killer Focusrite preamps. Buying the MBox today you get a standard ProTools LE version 7.

My bad - I'm got the "m"box and "m"audio versions confused - thanks for pointing it out so that I didn't provide bad info.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

The actual reason that pro tools is more stable is because it's virtually the only program that is completely re-built when a new version comes out.

Other manufacturers just make ammendments, which creates flaws in the code.
anyone got Logic 8?
so how often does a new version of Pro Tools get updated? would you get it for free or would you have to buy the whole program again? along with a new interface?
can you use analog effects/hardware AFTER the track has been laid? or are you then just limited to using the digital effects in the software and plugins? *in any program not just the 1ns in this thread*
^yes if you have the hardware routing options at your interface.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

The Pro Tools interface doesn't outdate.

Upgrades, I believe are about $60 for an entire new version.

If new patches are about to come out, you'll get an amnesty upgrade.
IMO basically logics interface is daunting and if you dont know what your doing stay the HELL away from it coz basically... its on par with protools HD not LE i mean hell... digital performer is better than pro tools LE (and yes i have used protools LE and im not particularly impressed)

Better idea for you is to decide how many ins and outs you want, get a soundcard depending on that, decide how serious you are. If its just to lay down a few of your own recordings... stick with logic express or pro tools nice and easy. pro tools is easier to use but i still say logic wins. thats me personally it alll depends what you wanna do. and im assuming you actually run a mac.

but if you dont want protools and still have an audio interface, look at alesis, presonus or motu, theyre all pretty decent quality. RME is there if you have the money to burn but yeah. Dont get stuff you dont need. like if your not using midi and only just recording your stuff and MAYBE using plugins... then you dont really need logic 8, express or pro tools will do you fine. Personally i like logic better, coz you wont need to buy extra hardware and it works out cheaper if you know what your doing.

thats my 2 cents. and i dont get why people are saying pro tools LE is hard... its reeaally not that hard. neither is logic overly but the interface is daunting.

oh yeah also.. if you ARE using midi... do NOT get protools LE

logic runs circles around protools HD itself... stay the HELL away from protools if you intend to work with midi and your serious. (btw logic 8 comes with something like 7 dvds of instruments and grooves and all that jazz so if you do use midi you dont even have to buy stuff)
Last edited by doommaker at Oct 10, 2007,