i need some help with my tone on my upright. its a peice of crap school bass but it gets the job done. but anyways my bowing is iffy, always has been, and my pitz. is amazing. problem is im having troubles projecting my sound. i can get it over all the other puny instruments, but when im playing with a couple other players, i get drowned out. any advice would be appreciated
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
You could maybe sign up for lessons. I get some every nkw and then and it helps a lot. That way he would show you the correct technique.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Rehair your bow, and rosin it up.
I'm in orchestra myself. [cello]

I thought you're supposed to blend in with the other players when you play together.
Can't do it. When you're in orchestra you need to get it: You. Will. Not. Be. Heard. That is why the orchestra since the beginning of the double bass have always had 8-10 if not 12 double bass players playing a unison part. Nowadays 5-6 is agreeable if one or two have amps.

To give an example of how badly you will not be heard I give you one of the two or three bass phenoms of Winnipeg Steve Hamilton. He played in an orchestra and he purposely played a half step up from the proper notes the whole way through to prove a point. No on noticed. Now, this guy ain't no noob just lightly touching the strings, he is a fabulous upright player and wouldn't have been shy, and he still still wasn't heard. Nor were the people he were playing around earless noobs. They were all professionally paid players.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Oct 3, 2007,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Can't do it. When you're in orchestra you need to get it: You. Will. Not. Be. Heard. That is why the orchestra since the beginning of the double bass have always had 8-10 if not 12 double bass players playing a unison part. Nowadays 5-6 is agreeable if one or two have amps.

To give an example of how badly you will not be heard I give you one of the two or three bass phenoms of Winnipeg Steve Hamilton. He played in an orchestra and he purposely played a half step up from the proper notes the whole way through to prove a point. No on noticed. Now, this guy ain't no noob just lightly touching the strings, he is a fabulous upright player and wouldn't have been shy, and he still still wasn't heard. Nor were the people he were playing around earless noobs. They were all professionally paid players.

That reminds me of last year when I was in orchestra, one of our bass players liked to screw around. In the middle of any given song, he would bow across all four strings as hard as possible and no one noticed. At some times he even turned around his bass and pretended to play on the back and still no one noticed. It was pretty funny. The ironic thing was that he was by far our best bassist.

EDIT: But rosin I guess?
8-10 basses?
Jesus, my orchestra has only 3 basses
and it's huge, well. one of the biggest in texas. :O
haha.
Quote by brentonkim
8-10 basses?
Jesus, my orchestra has only 3 basses
and it's huge, well. one of the biggest in texas. :O
haha.

Ours has 6, biggest in Texas.
Quote by brentonkim
rosin it up.

People made fun of me a lot cause at any given time my bass would look like an ash-tray because I used so much Rosin.

Seriously though it just might not happen in a full orchestra, I liked playing in chamber groups so I could actually be heard, you might sign up for something like that.
my chamber group is the full orchestra.
like the chamber group gets a few band players, and then it becomes a full orchestra.
I do see your point in which you won't be heard during full orchestra, or in any large orchestra, and it really does suck. But nothing will help that, i'm pretty sure the director won't make everyone softer so you can hear bass.
...we have 16....anyways it was the bow, just snapped today...bloody french bows, goin with a german this time around. spendin a little extra on a better bow. better be worth it.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
yeh its different. i know both, i like german cause i can get more power, but its defly harder to hold haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I think you get a much better tone with a french in difficult sections, because it gives you so much more control than German, and I've played both for 2 years each.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
French>German

Germany took France in under a week

German >> France
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.