There must have been a thread on soul music at some point of time, but looking for it would be a pain. I know that soul is a broad genre and it stretches from a while back until now, but when I hear that word I think about the 50s, 60s, and early 70s stuff like Motown and Stax and whatnot. Too many good songs to count. Discuss your favorites here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbOYIo7SD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BukSsV4-aw
Amy Winehouse, no matter how odd she may be, is a really soulful singer. if u dont kno who she is, u should.
Personally, I find Motown stuff like Martha and the Vandells pretty bad... it's up there with wall-of-sound Elvis in terms of bad. That said, Mavis Staples' new stuff is fantastic. I got her new album recently and my god it's good.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
my favorite soul singers are Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, and Aretha Franklin. in my mind, they flippin' rock!!
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
My favourites are Otis, Aretha, James Brown, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Wilson Pickett, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson 5 and the Supremes (and the Temptations) (and Sam & Dave) (and Sam Cooke)
Wilson Pickett is my favorite at the moment. Love his voice

Gotta get me some Otis, though.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Cornell Dupree and Eric Gale have to be the best soul guitarists out there
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Soul's awesome, funk and ska is basically all i listen to.

Obviously stuff like Otis Redding, Sam and Dave (some of it :p) Wilson Picket etc is just awesome.

Some great videos on youtube of Otis Redding live, truly awesome. Quality is ****, but it doesn't matter. Also, MG's are the greatest backing band, ever :p
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Forgot to say, Steve Cropper is the best soul guitarist ever! What he plays when Otis sings "...sitting on the dock of the bay...", that man owns!