Hey there, I'm kinda new, so forgive me for being a tad n00b-esque, but anyways.

I was really wanting to ask if it's weird for someone to play nothing but powerchords for 3 years, but than out of nowhere, i.e in 4 months or so, they figure out the basic open chords, some 7ths, minors, a few majors, and start moving into the pentatonic blues and mixolydian scales.

I'm asking this because this is what's happening to me. I only took a few lessons when I was 11-12, now I'm 16, and all I had done between then and now was crank out powerchord-based punk/metal songs, a far cry from my Beatles-esque/Bluesy musical roots. But that didn't mean I didn't have success in bands, I'm lucky noone with talent came along :P

But in April I picked up my much-ignored antique Truetone acoustic, and learned "Wish You Were Here", than "You've got to Hide Your Love Away" and than on and than on, and my appetite for musical expansions was enormous.

Then, after figuring out the beginning of "Crossroads" and repeating it endlessly in my local music store (to everyone's chagrin) a kindly old man showed me a "box scale", later i learned it was blues pentatonic, and I ran with it, and expanded outside of it, I started string-bending and everything, and I learned fingerpicking, alternating minors, 7ths, and open chords in a song.

And now, with everything going smoothly, I feel like I'm stuck in a rut.

Everyone appreciates the diversity in the music I play, and comment nicely about it, but I don't feel like I'm going anywhere with it still. I feel like I wasted 3 years of potential guitar playing progression

Surely some of you have doen the same right? And what can I do to get out of what's possibly another huge rut for me?
Call me: Will

Gear that I'm using most, in their respective colors:
Squier MIJ '62 Strat reissue
Orville '62 SG reissue
1972 Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp with various kinds of pedals.

My band, Cusche!
I did more or less the same thing. I kind of just kept playing stuff I liked, and as my musical tastes changed I got into slightly more complicated stuff and naturally improved from there. Whenever you feel like you're not progressing, just pick out a song that you've always wanted to learn but thought it was too hard and try to learn it. You may not be able to play it perfectly but by trying you'll improve. Hell, you might even find some of it surprisingly easy. For example, I always held off learning Master of Puppets until I had been playing for 5 years because I thought it was way out of my league, and when I went to learn it it took me only a day or two to get most of it down.
you havent wasted your time, i spent a while playing a lot of easy punk stuff too. just continue what you're doing, find new bands, stuff like that. whatever you do, just don't give up the guitar. i know people who get stuck in a rut and then quit, never to play guitar again.

dont do that.
you....my friend are a weird dude. you mean to tell me that you didn't even know how to play the simple open chords for 3 years? what the ****?

i guess it's normal to progress, but this is pretty extreme.
Quote by metallifan1
you....my friend are a weird dude. you mean to tell me that you didn't even know how to play the simple open chords for 3 years? what the ****?

i guess it's normal to progress, but this is pretty extreme.

Yeah, I'm weird, to say the least, I knew G, D, and A.

But I found those by accident.

Let's just say, burn-out teacher plus kid with ADD = no learney for me

Orville '62 SG reissue

My band, Cusche!
Quote by rockon1824
I did more or less the same thing. I kind of just kept playing stuff I liked, and as my musical tastes changed I got into slightly more complicated stuff and naturally improved from there. Whenever you feel like you're not progressing, just pick out a song that you've always wanted to learn but thought it was too hard and try to learn it. You may not be able to play it perfectly but by trying you'll improve. Hell, you might even find some of it surprisingly easy. For example, I always held off learning Master of Puppets until I had been playing for 5 years because I thought it was way out of my league, and when I went to learn it it took me only a day or two to get most of it down.

I've found metal a little awkward to learn.

But I'm shocked at how easily some of Cream and Clapton's stuff comes to me so naturally.

I guess it's soemthing in the water, eh?

Orville '62 SG reissue

My band, Cusche!
i did the same thing for about 2 years , and im working on the blues and mixolydian stuff right now. buy some books on theory , like the music theory for dummies book is a good start. i also have the Grimoire book on scales and modes...good stuff. keep with it dude!
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Medium head

Ibanez RG1570 Black with Green Dimarzios (For Sale)
Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/59)
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)

Ibanez Tube Screamer
Metal Muff
DOD Death metal
Cry baby Wah
yea well me personally never took any lessons just picked up on the **** my bro played
and from there started playing my own **** but ive fallen in a rut too but hell ive found some new bands and heard there **** and ive watch a couple videos for guitar playing and learn new **** like finger tapping which i couldn't do for the first 4 years of playing but now... kay well i still cant do it perfectly but **** takes practice and that goes for anything you do and it always helps me if im in another state of mind like for example being stoned i get more creative but i have friends who dont it depends you jsut gotta find what brings out your creative side in music, or art
Quote by LiVexXxhIgh
yea well me personally never took any lessons just picked up on the **** my bro played
and from there started playing my own **** but ive fallen in a rut too but hell ive found some new bands and heard there **** and ive watch a couple videos for guitar playing and learn new **** like finger tapping which i couldn't do for the first 4 years of playing but now... kay well i still cant do it perfectly but **** takes practice and that goes for anything you do and it always helps me if im in another state of mind like for example being stoned i get more creative but i have friends who dont it depends you jsut gotta find what brings out your creative side in music, or art

True, watching videos of The Doors, and seeing how Krieger can take fairly simple blues progressions and amke it so classical-esue and flowing, it's wonderful, and watching him and learnign to fingerpick has helped me develop as a player.

Orville '62 SG reissue

My band, Cusche!
Try some progressive rock, its more technical. King Crimson, Camel, Floyd, anything progressive really...
Quote by enzoslashslash
Try some progressive rock, its more technical. King Crimson, Camel, Floyd, anything progressive really...

I like Floyd, worship Gilmour's playing, but i think I have a ways to go.

Orville '62 SG reissue

My band, Cusche!
Quote by Kawzmo118
Yeah, I'm weird, to say the least, I knew G, D, and A.

But I found those by accident.

Let's just say, burn-out teacher plus kid with ADD = no learney for me

haha nice rhyme. that is strange though. i've never heard of that.
Quote by metallifan1
haha nice rhyme. that is strange though. i've never heard of that.

Just noticed it, wasn't intentional

Yeah, you think it's strange, think fo how my "rival" friends at school feel when this year started.

I swear, if there guitar had pants, it would of shat itself.

Orville '62 SG reissue

My band, Cusche!
I'm kinda stuck in "the rut "right now, so i'm practicing some dethklok songs for the time being. ( thunderhorse, and duncan hills coffee jingle). that **** is fun once you get it down!!
I'm also working on cleaning up songs I learned a long time ago. that helps me, cleaning and really hard stuff. (i know some of u may not think dethklok is hard ,but i've playing for 1 year on nov. 1st., so it' challenging to me.)
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by rockon1824
Whenever you feel like you're not progressing, just pick out a song that you've always wanted to learn but thought it was too hard and try to learn it. You may not be able to play it perfectly but by trying you'll improve.

That's really good advice. Actually gives people something to work on.

Many people who get "stuck" either give up or ask more experienced players what they should do to progress. And they always get the same answer. "Just keep practicing". They have no idea how aggravating that sounds for the newer player. Plus, it's so vague that they won't know what to keep practicing.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Sorry if I'm overposting, but it's great to find that some people do relate to my situation

And to ibanezguitarkid, I too am polishing up all of my old "standards" and throwing some new stuff into them.

Orville '62 SG reissue

My band, Cusche!