I'm having alot of trouble trying to musicaly create a chorus for this song I've been working on and a little trouble in finding ways to "work around" or help me with the chords that should be used or can be used. I havent been writing my own songs for long and most of them are simple. This one is the next step up so I'm looking for hel. Can someone point me in the right direction? Or maybe even give me a few examples?
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Well, unfortunately it's difficult to write a chorus that's "chorusy" or "chorus-like" without using chorus chords: I-IV-V and inversions thereof.

Verses and bridges, instrumental sections, etc. are where your musical creativity shines - write atonal, convoluted verses all you want, but if you want a chorus, you must write a chorus, my friend.

I too suffer this dilemma.

For instance in the latest song I wrote, the verses proceed through the major chords of G: G, Am, Bm, C and D in an arpeggiated pattern that simulates rain. Not the most creative thing ever, but it works.

The chorus, though, is quite ordinary: C-G-Em-D, which is the IV-I-vi-V of the key - just a slight variation on the classic I-vi-IV-V of pretty much ever early rock 'n roll song from the 50's.

Ho hum.

I know, boring, right?

But that's how you write a chorus - it's very harmonious and cyclical. Most importantly there is a "hook" - the voice or guitar plays a memorable, usually pretty easy melody over some basic chords and there you have it.

Write out the chords of your key (they start at the name of the key and proceed through like this: Major, minor, minor, Major, Major, minor, diminished)

So for instance in my song, Joy of Foolish Love the verse (in G) goes G-Am-Bm-C-D.

Choruses then go C-G-Em-D

Here are a couple of keys for you:

C: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim
G: G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#dim
D: D, Em, F#m, G, A, Bm, C#dim

...keep in mind that not all songs have a chorus. You could write an Etude or a Sonata, for instance...

Or take a really simple concept from a song like America's "Horse With No Name" and just rock the verse (Em-D6) through the whole song.

Kinda makes you wonder how guitarists get away with such simple writing, but they do. It's easier than you think!

(Sounds like you're a lot like me - making it ten times harder than it really is.)
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Ok... well digg this:

Im tuned half a step down with a capo on the 3rd fret.
Verse chords are:

Dsus-D-Cadd9-G with a few quick hammer ons and pickoff within each chord. Now for the life of my I cannot figure out anything (chorus wise) to go with this. I've tried jsut changeing the tempo and beat of the song... doesnt work... i've tried the little theory that I know... and it doesnt work... I've even pulled stuff out of my ss and have gotten no luck.

What to do?
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Last edited by NotOneWithNames at Oct 4, 2007,