so which is better? single coiled or humbuckers? what's the difference? can't i get the same singled coiled tones on a humbucker or vice versa?
Last edited by laggerbomber at Oct 4, 2007,
Most people will tell you:
Single Coil better for better cleaner tones
Humbucker better for better distortion tones

of course, you can still get a good distortion from single-coil and good clean from humbuckers.
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
it depeds on personal preferences. Single-coils will give u hum if u play loud or distorted alot. and Humbuckers dont have the character of single-coils when played clean.
first of all it's hUmbucker
and they will always sound a little bit different, but you can get close to one sounding like the other with the right amp adjustments
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
in general, humbuckers have a fuller sound to them, singles usually a little thinner, sometimes twangier, but between neck to bridge.. amp and guitar it all varies... u can even get humbuckers stacked to fit in single coil slots.. very broad topic
you can't say that single coils are better than humbuckers or vice versa. they're both unique in their own way. i mean srv or rhcp songs played with humbucker or zack wylde licks on a single coil. it just won't sound right. its all personal preference.
Equipments:
Fender American Telecaster N7
Yamaha CG150
Line 6 Tonecore Echopark
Behringer VAMP 2.0

"There's only two colors around the world. That's pink and green. Making love and making money." - Blacks20
Quote by qotsa1998
Single-coils will give u hum if u play loud or distorted alot.

"noiseless" single coils eliminate the 60 cycle hum
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by laggerbomber
hambuckers

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by ECistheBest
^they're not true single coils.

y not? or what constitutes a TRUE single coil?
Quote by FlamingYouth
y not? or what constitutes a TRUE single coil?

A hum...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
hambuckers taste good
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
the noiseless from fender are not single coil. it clearly has two coils. thats how they make it noiseless. but also with the noiseless, they're kinda chimeless too. no high-end chime like in a real single coil.

now i got a total vintage spec handwound boutique pickups. it's doing great. couldn't be happier for $180.

but there are noiseless single coils that are decent too. i think it was from Kinman or sumtin. $300.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
the noiseless from fender are not single coil. it clearly has two coils. thats how they make it noiseless. but also with the noiseless, they're kinda chimeless too. no high-end chime like in a real single coil.

now i got a total vintage spec handwound boutique pickups. it's doing great. couldn't be happier for $180.

but there are noiseless single coils that are decent too. i think it was from Kinman or sumtin. $300.

i am now a better informed guitarist. thank you ECistheBest. (ha, included ur name so u could sig that if you wanted to) congrats on the vintage hand-wounds btw. must be flippin awesome. regarding the Kinmans, i dunno if id ever spend 300 on PUs, unless they really were the "holy grail" of single coils... i want my half stack first, jaja
Well, there's also some variations of the single-coil to consider: P-90s and lipstick tube pickups....