Poll: What do you prefer for onstage presence as a bassist?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you prefer for onstage presence as a bassist?
Crazy antics and Insane stunts (Jumping off drum kits, amps, crowdsurfing, bass flips)
36 33%
Movement but not as aggressive. (Headbanging or hopping in place)
56 51%
Little to no movement (Bobbing along to the beat)
18 16%
Voters: 110.
i prefer little movement. jumping around is just annoying and childish.

that doesn't mean you can't have energy or stage presence though. interpol's guitar player...daniel kessler...he doesn't jump around...but he has a weird little dance he does, and it gives him character and such.

just little movements with the beat, that's where it's at. not head bobbing as the poll suggest though.
Depends on the music you play. If it's heavy, you should jump around, if you're playing jazz or softer jusic, stay put.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I prefer the intense asshole demeanor. That's my UG and on-stage presence. I look like I'm enjoying myself but not by smiling like an idiot, or, like my guitar player, running around in an orgasmic trance.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'll walk around and groove for slower songs, and I'll generally jump around a bit for fast stuff (come on...there's no way to can't get an adrenaline rush during an At The Drive-In cover )
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
not a bass player but....if you can jump around and groove without making heaps of mistakes...then by all means go for it...but then if you're making heaps of mistakes without moving...you probably shouldn't be onstage
In my band I sing too, So when I'm not singing I have to go as crazy as possible to make up for it. Or so I tell myself.
What ever happened to facial expressions and looking like you OWN the stage?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
im in for the crazy antics if im the one onstage (hooray straplocks)...but i really don't mind when watching the show. its all part of the mood of the band. for instance, i play in a ska-punk band and a funk-rock band, so that kind of energy exists in our playing and our music. when im playing with a side project thats just alt rock, a little headbanging is fine
I'm very succeptable to dismissing a band when their stage antics seem choreographed. I've seen screaming bands at gigs I've played and they would all do guitar flips in synch and it just looked bloody cheesy. Do whatever you want on-stage, but make sure it comes natural.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I'm very succeptable to dismissing a band when their stage antics seem choreographed. I've seen screaming bands at gigs I've played and they would all do guitar flips in synch and it just looked bloody cheesy. Do whatever you want on-stage, but make sure it comes natural.

But that all depends. If they're just up there having fun then I love it. If if it's some blues band or something like that and they all have a pause and strike a pose, without being able to keep a straight face, they're obviously just up there having fun and you gotta love that. Beyond that I agree, most choreographed moves looked gay.
I just groove with the beat. If the song is more fast or intense, it'll reflect in what I'm doing on stage. Things like this shouldn't be forced, so just react to the music and do what comes naturally.
I like to jump up on monitors, until I realize they aren't anchored down and then I fall on my ass.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
The whole jumping off drum kits is a little to punk for me .
Im just you usual mosher which moves around my side of the stage and does weird facials hahah

Good stuff all up tho!
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
i am by far, the most animated person on stage in all three of my bands. it's never practiced or planned. it's just me, doing what i do. i'm not the singer, so i'm not chained to the mic stand. but thats only because my singing sucks. i prefer to see a bass player having fun. the walking groove is very effective, as long as you keep your head up, and look confident. spazzed out antics are great, if you can do it without screwing up. if the band really kicks ass, whatever the bass player is doing, is ok by me.
Depends on the song. If the song calls for me to play something a bit more intricate and requires precision, I'll probably just bob my head and sway a bit, maybe put a foot up on a monitor or something basic.

However, if it's a song that is pretty simple, I'll thrash around with the bass and probably play a bit sloppily.
Jumping around like some kind of doosh bag takes away from the music, you should be 100% focused on the MUSIC and not being a try hard.
Quote by Guitar Hero 69
Jumping around like some kind of doosh bag takes away from the music, you should be 100% focused on the MUSIC and not being a try hard.

Well, chances are the music your band is playing is not amazing, so you'll have to do SOMETHING to garner attention.

Bands like Tool, Isis, Rush and Dream Theater can pull off not doing anything because they're amazing musicians.

Also, are you saying that metal bands who headbang while playing are "trying too hard?"
Leave the attention seeking stuff to the guitarist. Just rock out/whatever is appropriate for the music you play.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Given the size of the stages at most of the venues near me, I'd be hard pushed to attempt anything really wild without crashing into something and looking a fool, not to mention pissing people off.

Also, jumping on monitors you don't own is a wonderful way of pissing off sound engineers and venue owners, to the point where they may not let you play there again. But who cares if you can't play anywhere, as long as you looked 'cool', right?

Sorry, my hangover is making me cynical today...
Even though I havent played live before (damn not motivated band), I see myself being as high energy as I can get away with. Though Im limited to the things I do without looking slightly retarded comsidering I wear my bass kinda high now... But as long as Im having fun and the crowd loves it, who cares right?
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I just don't move, although in a really groovy bit I tend to involuntarily bob my head... I just can't help it. Apparently I look bored though.
I don't seek all the attention on stage, I tend to just sit back, groove and occasionally walk around a bit, in a more energetic song I might become a little more animated and jump around though. Personally I agree with xifr in saying that the attention seeking is for the guitarists, I enjoy being understated. That's not to say that all you bassists who really do go crazy on stage are epic phail, it's just the way I do things.

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I've a phobia about being too far away from pedals or mic, in case I need to do something with them. Like sing, or stamp on one. I tend to focus on the bass, lean into it, beat it etc.
Tho' I heard recently about a bassist who got over excited, started leaping about and caught the singer square in the face with his headstock. Thus breaking the singer's nose. During the second song. While they were supporting...Flood of Red?!?

I usually just groove or jive my way around, unless if its a high energy song, then im everywhere.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I dont do anything

If you want to see some stage presence just look up a Sparta song on Youtube, Jim Ward does a pretty good job of holding the stage and he doesnt act like a douche.

Lots of wierd facial expressions sometimes though hehe
Quote by wolf986
I dont do anything

If you want to see some stage presence just look up a Sparta song on Youtube, Jim Ward does a pretty good job of holding the stage and he doesnt act like a douche.

Lots of wierd facial expressions sometimes though hehe

At the Drive-In had the best stage presence... mostly due to Omar and Cedric's awesomeness, although they did get sloppy since they went so nuts.
really depends on the song for me, but usually headbangs, jumping around, weird dances, anything else i can think of
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
when your on stage infont of an auidence you have to give them everything u have, i prefer to throw myself around the stage willy nilly until i start to slow down, eventually progressing to headbanging and by the end of the set im just trying to stay standing.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"