I'm thinking of upgrading my amp. Right now it's a 25 watt (edit:10 watt, sorry) Kustom "12 Gauge" combo amp.

Is this a decent amp? Can I get anything better than that for $200-$300? What models should I try out?

My guitar is a Stagg strat copy. I also want to upgrade (or perhaps modify) that, but I think it's important to get a new amp first.
Last edited by andersoncouncil at Oct 26, 2007,
If you want a good sounding tube practice amp there is a Crate Palomino 5 watt tube combo for $200. Leaves money for a couple of pedals. You will need a distortion pedal. Its quite loud for its size.
try and save up a little more and go for a used tube amp.

for around $350-$400 you can score a peavy classic 30 like mine on ebay. and probably for less, you can get a valveking (never tried one, but almost everyone hates them)

edit:

I didn't think to tell you about cheap tube amps, anyway, I still say to go used, you can save even more money if you get a 5-15 Watt model used.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Epi Valve Jr head + Cab should be around $260. With an EQ, itll be 300 or so. Or a Crate Palomino V6. only 5w. but cranked, might be louder than ur Kustom.
Yes, it is. It also depends on how big everyone else in the bands amps are. My 12-gauge can obviously outplay every else's 15 watt starter amps.
Quote by deanguy
haha the lead guitarist in my band has a 100 watt marshall
Oh. I guess "a band" was really too little information for me to say anything.

Edit: the 12 gauge is about 25-30 watts
Quote by deanguy

And a scar from his castration?

+1 for the 5 watt Palino. I almost got one, but settled for a slightly used VJ head for cheap.
12 gauge is actually only 16watts
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by andersoncouncil

Is this a decent amp? Can I get anything better than that for $200-$300? What models should I try out?

You can find a better amp for the price. Would I recommend it, NO!

Spending another $200-$300 on a practice amp is not really necessary. Down the road after you've bought another amp, most likely you've moved onto the more professional gear, you're going to neglect your practice amp and just play the good one. Now you have 2 cheap amps and a nice amp while you could have just waited a while longer and went straight for the good amp.

EDIT: My apologies, I didn't realize you were still using a starter amp. In your case I would recommend buying a new amp. I thought the Kustom was like a 30watter or so. My apologies
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
just practicing in a garage? about 10-15 would do fine. it's what i used for 3 years anyway
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by deanguy

what 100w marshall, because if it's an MG, you'll be able to out-volume him with, say, a 30w tube amp and a 15w tube amp if you crank it (this is given that you play rock/metal)
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
yeah it's a stupid mg,so i'll probably get an epi vj if that would be loud enough
Quote by spiroth10
try and save up a little more and go for a used tube amp.

for around $350-$400 you can score a peavy classic 30 like mine on ebay. and probably for less, you can get a valveking (never tried one, but almost everyone hates them)

edit:

I didn't think to tell you about cheap tube amps, anyway, I still say to go used, you can save even more money if you get a 5-15 Watt model used.

I beg to differ. Might be a touch louder then what you're used to though TS.
i have a jv its a great little thing. Right now me and my mom live in a Appt. So my 5150 is collecting dust.

I highly recomend the jv, you'll have 100% better tone then that guys MG