Page 1 of 2
Who do you think?

I reckon John Frusciante is overlooked by most "shredders" because he doesn't play sweep arpeggios but I reckon he's pretty awesome and I don't really like the Chilli Peppers that much!

I also think behind the crappy pop facade John Mayer is an amazing Blues guitarist.

Lastly James Hetfield, he has the most insane rhythm and timing, Metallica could easily manage without Kirk but without James they would be nothing.
John Mayer should go all Dylan, and ruin his voice in a car accident.

And by ruin I mean make better, cause anythings better than what he sounds like right now.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
claudio sanchez. he really got some skillz. thing is i dont think many people have heard of coheed and cambria let alone his playing.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Mayer, Frusciante, Omar Lopez are a couple that come to mind.

In the mainstream people like Paul Gilbert, Satch, Al Di Meola, ect. are virtually unknown.
Quote by snipelfritz

And by ruin I mean make better, cause anythings better than what he sounds like right now.

haha, yeah he needs to start smoking 40 a day and eat some pineapple skin!
I don't think Hetfield's underrated; everyone knows he's the master of rhythm guitar. Lol.

Yes, they could without Kirk, but I don't think I'd appreciate "Fade to Black," "Master of Puppets" or "One" as much.

But, to be honest, Robert Flynn and Phil Demmel are -insanely- underrated, even after putting out a classic.
EL HEFE/ERIC MELVIN (Nofx) most underated guitar duo in music. They're over shadowed by the fact they're in a punk band.
Quote by lanzaa
claudio sanchez. he really got some skillz. thing is i dont think many people have heard of coheed and cambria let alone his playing.

+1

no one ever mentions poor claudio
Lanzaa completley agree! claudio has some serious skill
My gear:
Line 6 spider 2 75 watts
ibanez rg 570
fender hss hwy 1 stratocaster
washburn acoustic
john frusiciante is VERY under rated
Adam Jones too.......i think
but i cant beleive people say that kurt cobain was a great guitarist
he wasnt he was just a great songwriter
Id say john 5 is pretty underrated.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
I think people overlook Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge a lot because of his former band being Creed. But if you listen to the stuff he's playing now, a lot of it is pretty complex stuff to play and Mark has always had a great sense for melody. I also find his playing a bit unique with his massive use of open strings, even in his shred-tastic main riff to "One Day Remains"
Dart of the Dragoons Pm big_deth to join
Quote by Drew Dolezal

+1. John5 is a great guitarist.
Be cool.
Quote by Drew Dolezal

Yeah I agree with John 5 although his solo albums are a little bit nuts sometimes, but then again no more crazy than Buckethead. I listened to Giant Robot yesterday some crazy tracks on there!

Yeah I suppose James Hetfield is known to be a great rhythm player but people who dislike metal probably wouldn't realise just how good he is. Also he could easily switch to a different style of music like country which I hear he loves and fit right in.
what about billy corgan? sure he's a goos songwriter but they always overlook his amazing guitarwork especially live.
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
John 5 and John Frusciante, as well as Mark Tremonti are not under rated. they have all sorts of signature items, and have been in countless magazines. Under rated? Heres a few:

Robbin Crosby
Amir Derakh
Richie Sambora
Jake E Lee
Mick Mars
Vito Bratta
Phil Collen
Richard Z
Greg Howe
Prince
Uli Jon Roth
Paul Gilbert and Bruce Bouilette or however you spell it.Pauls a little more known than Bruce,but unless you listen to Racer X you probably have never heard Bruce.

Also Billy Corgan.
oh please, everyone worships Frusciante, so much that it has turned me off their music and him as a person.
Quote by lanzaa

That is my vote. He's one of my favorite guitarists of all time.

Claudio Sanchez is just great, and he can still improve alot.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Mikko Lindström, HIM's guitarist. His playing isn't ultra fast or technical, but it sounds great and you can tell that he loves playing guitar.
Last edited by Kinderfeld at Oct 4, 2007,
matt bellamy owns quite a lot and i dont hear his name much. then again hes also one of (imho) the best rock singers of our time.
oh yeah i should have mentioned matthew bellamy as well. i also think hes underrated. i believe he has written some great music with muse
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by -heartbreaker-
oh please, everyone worships Frusciante, so much that it has turned me off their music and him as a person.

So just because people like him, you don't listen to him and RHCP just because its the "cool" thing to do? You have the word tool written all over you.
Be cool.
Quote by CJRocker
John 5 and John Frusciante, as well as Mark Tremonti are not under rated. they have all sorts of signature items, and have been in countless magazines. Under rated? Heres a few:

Robbin Crosby
Amir Derakh
Richie Sambora
Jake E Lee
Mick Mars
Vito Bratta
Phil Collen
Richard Z
Greg Howe
Prince
Uli Jon Roth

Anyone known well enough to be the headliner at the fucking SUPER BOWL is not underrated. Everyone knows Prince, he's huge.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
Anyone known well enough to be the headliner at the fucking SUPER BOWL is not underrated. Everyone knows Prince, he's huge.

How many people go "Oh yeah Prince, now he can play the guitar!"

EDIT: Now as a song writer, I think he borders on over rated, but the dude can play guitar.
Mick Mars ??
Vito Bratta ??
Phil Collen ??

oh come on, Mick Mars certainly isn't underrated, he's just not that good.
Vito Bratta, jeez White Lion is scraping the barrel a bit!
Phil Collen, well I loved Def Leppard when I was a kid but I'm not convinced.
Quote by CJRocker
How many people go "Oh yeah Prince, now he can play the guitar!"

EDIT: Now as a song writer, I think he borders on over rated, but the dude can play guitar.

The world has always known he can play as well as the best of 'em. You clearly have just never heard of him in that context. I've never heard him referred to as anything less then an excellent player.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Jawshuwa
I don't think Hetfield's underrated; everyone knows he's the master of rhythm guitar. Lol.

Yes, they could without Kirk, but I don't think I'd appreciate "Fade to Black," "Master of Puppets" or "One" as much.

But, to be honest, Robert Flynn and Phil Demmel are -insanely- underrated, even after putting out a classic.

Hetfield would also make a good lead guitarrist if he purposed to it
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Satriani is quite underrated, IMO.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
I doubt anyone here listens to them, but the guitar work in Subset Rubdown is cool. It's a very unique style. I don't think I've heard anyone play melodies quite like him. Maybe I should find out his name...

I also love all of the guitar in Akron/Family songs. Tiger Bear Wolf is another one of my favorites.
Epi Les Paul Standard with BB Pros
Vox 847A Wah->Fulltone Fulldrive 2->EHX Big Muff Pi->DD-3->EHX SMMwH->Fender Blues Deluxe
both these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FRoqkZy0zQ

Christophe Godin and Tristan Klein
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by -heartbreaker-

+1 he has way too many fanbois that worship he atm which is absolutely turning me off RHCP.

Underrated guitarists: Ritchie Blackmore
All the guitarist named here seem tobe well respected them selves.
I belive that guy in MCR is pretty decent, he can whip out some decent solos, but he'll get dismissed because his band is too emo.

I dislike the band but he's a pretty decent guitarist.
Quote by snipelfritz

I find that quite funny because his bad voice (according to you anyway) has sold millions more records than you have. Not to mention he is a great player. So how about if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all.
Claudio & Tremonti are both good votes... The guys in All That Remains always amaze me, but I couldn't tell you their names without looking it up.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

All the guitarist named here seem tobe well respected them selves.
I belive that guy in MCR is pretty decent, he can whip out some decent solos, but he'll get dismissed because his band is too emo.

I dislike the band but he's a pretty decent guitarist.[/QUOTE]

Uhh MCR's not emo btw just so you know, =P

Im prolly gonna get pulverised out here for this but..Tom DeLonge is definitely the most under rated guitarist i know ...Sure he only plays power chords is what everyone says and the solos of his songs arent great, but he plays whatever he does excessively well, he sounds better live than on studio tracks which is not something a lotta guitarists can do especially when your singing and playing and jumping around and playing the guitar lower than your crotch...(whatever its his style stop criticising it xD) sooo yea heck take MCR or RHCP for example, they sound really crap live IMO..but yea thats only me...and also Synyster gates of Avenged Sevenfold, i only hear "yea hes a great guitaraist...uhh...so whatsup?" and thats abt it, no one seems to 'worship' him as such....
Page 1 of 2