hey guys, its time I start researching Tube amps

need a cabin and a head, theres some that come together and theres some in combo's doesn't matter to me, just need good tone for practice volumes at home

any suggestions on some models to look at for my price range with $700 being the most expensive, I'm really just going to use the amp at home but I need some good tone definition of tubes

But I do not want an amp that will have a short life and have breaking problems, which some Randall's and B-52's seem to get

yes I know I need to try amps out, but I need general ideas so I can hit them all in 1 day in a store as I live 1hour 30mins from a guitar store

p.s I play dark Nu-Metal and of course everything else to a certain degree but 90% metal ha
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Oct 3, 2007,
Try get a used 5150.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Try get a used 5150.

but would also need a cab too, which means over $700 , im just using it for home practice but just need the tone
I didn't say you needed a stack.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by hardcoredarrell
but would also need a cab too, which means over $700 , im just using it for home practice but just need the tone

Theres 5150 combos.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i see the combos go for $500-$600 (600 on the high side). but they're 120 watts. my 50 watt'er is WAY too powerfull for me. i can't imagine what 120 would be like.

edit: those prices i've seen where on newyork craigslist
yeah I don't really need a huge wattage amp, just one that has the crisp chugg chugg tube sound with distortion, my current amp doesn't do that to well as it is SS not true tube

but all the 50watt true tube combos I looked at seem to have reviews were they break where every single revier said something broke on it on the first day and they paid like 500 to 600 for them

so I have no idea what to look at the moment, I mean it would just be for home
Quote by Erock503
5150 combo is 60W isn't it?

yeah, I always feel iffy looking at used items and that small combo weighs 84 pounds which is quite heavy for not beeing huge btw =P
I would wait a little while for the Line 6 Spider Valves to come out. I believe they will be promising.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^The Spider Valves are totally up in the air at this moment, as no one has tried them. I most certainly wouldn't buy one without trying it first (though that's true for any amp).

I agree with Jin, used 5150 combo sounds perfect.
Quote by which ones pink
^The Spider Valves are totally up in the air at this moment, as no one has tried them. I most certainly wouldn't buy one without trying it first (though that's true for any amp).

I agree with Jin, used 5150 combo sounds perfect.

I'm just stating he should probably wait a few more weeks to try one out in hopes that they are good.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
They don't make a 50-Watt version of the EVH 5150 head do they? I don't need a cabinet, just a head, and I certainly don't need 100 Watts.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto