Hey guys, my birthday is coming up and I'm asking for a couple of pedals from my parents, so I have a few quick questions for you all.

First, I'm looking at a wah, I'll be using it for rock as well as some metal that uses wah, such as Metallica or Trivium. I know the Fulltone Cyldes are supposed to be great wahs, and are true bypass which I've heard is important for wahs, but can they handle the stuff I'm going to play with it? Most of the people I hear talk about them play softer blues. And if not which wah would you guys recommend?

Secondly, about the EHX Small Stone and Small Clone, I know they make a Nano version which looks interesting (as its slightly cheaper and takes up less room on the board), but are they the exact same thing in a different casing? Or are they lacking something that the full sized versions have? Thanks in advance.
The Fulltones are more of a classic rock/blues wah IMO. Not sure it would cut through metalish gain that well if at all. Perhaps give RMC a look (realmccoycustom.com) instead.
+1 to dunlop wah
My gear:
gibson sg
fender stratocaster
vox AD30
crybaby wah
Quote by juckfush
the ibanez weeping demon wah is supposed to be pretty kickass, it's got tone controls, so you can always alter your wah sound, and auto or manual wah selection, and best of all it costs about $217 (australian). personally, i'd say try one of those out, but make sure you go to a guitar store and experiement until you find one that suits you best.

That's actually the wah I'm using right now, it's complete crap.
Not really. Although modded Crybabys are awesome, doesn't look like that guy did much to it to change the tone.
the dimebag wah is great, i have that, but get a crybaby 535Q instead, its the same thing, just alot cheaper...
and see if you can get a digitech whammy too, its a great pedal..

Im guessing that you might as well get all the expensive pedals first while you can take advantage of your parents...
Sigs are too hard to think up
For the wah, your best option is to get the cheapest Dunlop Crybaby, and get it modded at local guitar shop so that it is set to handle high gain, rather then get a signature pedal such as a dimebag or zakk wylde

Heres why to get a modd rather then a signature:
Well for starters, suprisingly with Crybaby's with the Signatures the price jack is actually not completely because of the name, they actually are good for heavy sounds, but In a couple of years time you might want to try playing some different styles of music so if you have a signature crybaby, its gonna suck **** for anything other then high gain, where it's cheaper (probably $20-40 cheaper) to get a normal crybaby, get it modded for high gain, and then get it modded again in a couple of years.

PS. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET A SIGNATURE SLASH CRYBABY, apart from the fact it's one of the most expensive signatures and the fact that it needs a 18 volt batter source, YOU CANT USE THE WAH WITHOUT USING THE DISTORTION, SO IT IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A CLEAN WAH SOUND. Not too mention it's distortion would blend in with yours which would be a mess.
Last edited by tom-the-lawn at Oct 3, 2007,
Quote by juckfush
the ibanez weeping demon wah is supposed to be pretty kickass, it's got tone controls, so you can always alter your wah sound, and auto or manual wah selection, and best of all it costs about $217 (australian). personally, i'd say try one of those out, but make sure you go to a guitar store and experiement until you find one that suits you best.

A normal Dunlop Crybaby at a local music store here in Newfoundland is only $85 Canadian.
Quote by tom-the-lawn
For the wah, your best option is to get the cheapest Dunlop Crybaby, and get it modded at local guitar shop so that it is set to handle high gain, rather then get a signature pedal such as a dimebag or zakk wylde

Heres why to get a modd rather then a signature:
Well for starters, suprisingly with Crybaby's with the Signatures the price jack is actually not completely because of the name, they actually are good for heavy sounds, but In a couple of years time you might want to try playing some different styles of music so if you have a signature crybaby, its gonna suck **** for anything other then high gain, where it's cheaper (probably $20-40 cheaper) to get a normal crybaby, get it modded for high gain, and then get it modded again in a couple of years.

PS. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET A SIGNATURE SLASH CRYBABY, apart from the fact it's one of the most expensive signatures and the fact that it needs a 18 volt batter source, YOU CANT USE THE WAH WITHOUT USING THE DISTORTION, SO IT IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A CLEAN WAH SOUND. Not too mention it's distortion would blend in with yours which would be a mess.

i thought it was the other way around... you couldnt use the distortion without the wah..
Sigs are too hard to think up
How does this sound, a Crybaby 535Q, and then modded for true bypass?

Will guitar shops with techs there normally do something like modding a pedal for you?
Quote by the_crimison
i thought it was the other way around... you couldnt use the distortion without the wah..

well they actually mean the same thing

but put into the easiest terms

the pedal has two features, wah, and distortion

but you can use one without the other

making it really ****ing stupid.
Quote by JoeBender
How does this sound, a Crybaby 535Q, and then modded for true bypass?

Will guitar shops with techs there normally do something like modding a pedal for you?

Some shops might, the 535Q is annoying to work with it so they might not.
Seems like the best solution is just to never use a wah pedal.

All of the good gain-handling wahs aren't true bypass, Crybabies can be modded but I can't do that, but neither will guitar techs. All of the Morleys either have a weird auto-off function or the button is on the side.

Why can't anyone make a decent well rounded wah?!
RMC....! Pricey but worth it, probably could get one fairly cheap on eBay.

Try the 535q anyways, you may find it doesn't need true bypass. The buffer does help some...
Hmm, alright, I think I'll go try out a 535Q. The RMC seems like overkill to me, not only would I have to order it without playing it first, it's also more of a blues wah according to that ultimate wah thread... I don't know, I'll ask the guy at the guitar store if they carry them, I know they carry Fulltones.
man i swear by simple dunlop crybaby wah for like 80 90 bucks, i have tried a bunch of other high dollar wah my friends use and my tones KILLS theirs. simple is better. never tried the mod though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Teese makes different wahs for different applications, that review was probably for the picture wah. Check his site realmccoycustom.com
Wah-RMC Wizard Wah
Stone-Nano small stone
Clone-Full Sized small clone
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Ah, okay I wasn't aware that RMC made more than one wah. I know you recommend Wizard, so I assume thats made for higher gain styles, but whats that Wheels of Fire one about?
i havent tried one, but i know it as adjustable volume, Q, and low end emphasis, and is supposed to mimic the English Macari wahs from the 60's and 70's

http://www.alpha-music.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=1037&idproduct=3606
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by tom-the-lawn
well they actually mean the same thing

but put into the easiest terms

the pedal has two features, wah, and distortion

but you can use one without the other

making it really ****ing stupid.

you can use the wah with or with out the distortion and you cant use the distortion by itself oh well i doubt he or any one really wants to use the distortion other than as a boost anyway so its not fuking stupid you are
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12