Page 1 of 2
Hey, I play mostly metal and im getting a new guitar really soon. I bought a B.C Rich NT Warlock seen here: http://www.bcrich.com/warlock_nt.html
I hear the pickups arent that great and I dont want active pickups so I was wondering, whats a really heavy passive metal pickup? thanks guys.
dimarzio air norton in the neck. dimarzio D-sonic in the bridge. make sure the metal rail is pointing towards the neck. good **** right there
I wouldnt consider Evos or JBs heavy.Too bright.The Duncan SH-5 would be good,so would the DiMarzio D Sonic,Tone Zone,Swineshead X Bucker,Swineshead Warthog,and some Bareknuckles.
dont i need to rewire it so that its active? also, i dont like the fact that i would have to use a battery and actives seem so one dimensional. i was think of getting something like a dimebucker or a duncan distortion sh-6. but what are some ones that i should consider
I love my Bill Lawrence L500-XL. Screaming harmonics. Dimebucker sucks, don't use it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
If you're gonna get any kind of blade pickup, either get a hotrails or a l500xl. Don't ever touch a dimebucker.

...or an invader *shudders*
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I love my Bill Lawrence L500-XL. Screaming harmonics. Dimebucker sucks, don't use it.

If I'm not mistaken...Isn't Bill Lawrence the developer of the original Dimebucker and his L500XL pups are the Dimebuckers with his branding instead of SD's?

I too am wanting to upgrade pups on an Ibanez and like the look of EMGs or Blackouts but don't know if actives are right for me...I don't gig or play in a band, so would I really need actives. If I do get SD Blackouts, do I need to route a battery compartment or would it mount in the trem or control cavity?
Are the EMG passives any good or should I just go for some Lawrence or SDs?

I am a beginner and am playing everything from rock, blues, metal, classic & alternative.
I am not looking for "my tone" yet...I am nowhere near that point.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Gear:
-Ibanez
--RG270DX~Blk
--AGS83 Semihlw~Ant.
--AEF30 AcEl~Trans Blk
-BC Rich ST III~Snakeskin
-Strat~oly wht Hendrix
-OLP Tin Top
-Roland Cube30x
-Epi VJ -modded
-4x12 Marshall cab
-Pocket Pod
-Hendrix Wah
-Slash Wah
much more
d-activators are like emgs but less brittle and just as hot and no battery
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by woopah
If I'm not mistaken...Isn't Bill Lawrence the developer of the original Dimebucker and his L500XL pups are the Dimebuckers with his branding instead of SD's?

I too am wanting to upgrade pups on an Ibanez and like the look of EMGs or Blackouts but don't know if actives are right for me...I don't gig or play in a band, so would I really need actives. If I do get SD Blackouts, do I need to route a battery compartment or would it mount in the trem or control cavity?
Are the EMG passives any good or should I just go for some Lawrence or SDs?

I am a beginner and am playing everything from rock, blues, metal, classic & alternative.
I am not looking for "my tone" yet...I am nowhere near that point.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Dimebuckers and L500-XLs are totally separate things. Bill Lawrence developed the L500 series, and Dimebag Darrell from Pantera used them (easily their most famous user, next to Nuno Bettencourt). Seymour Duncan later designed the Dimebucker, which is a cheap imitation of the L500-XL and asked Dimebag to endorse it, thus the "DIMEbucker."
Quote by dudetheman

i have an evo in the bridge and it plays nicely, but i usually play solos and stuff not heavy riffs so if thats what your into then im not sure how it would work out
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by -heartbreaker-
Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom

Im quite sure Barknuckles are better though

theyre called bareknuckles and they're mega expensive.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
If you decide to opt for either the Bill Lawrence or the Dimebucker, take the Bill Lawrence. Order it directly from the Bill Lawrence website. Not only is it an infinitely better pickup, it's literally half the price.
Quote by dudetheman

What genre of metal? All aroudn good general pickups for metal; DiMarzio ToneZone, Seymour Duncan Distortion/JB, DiMarzio Super Distortion

Bridge:
80s Metal: DiMarzio Super Distortion, Duncan JB
Shred: Duncan Jb or Distortion, DiMarzio EVO/EVO2 or Tone Zone
Modern Metal: DiMarzio Tone Zone, DiMarzio EVO/EVO2, DiMarzio Breed, Duncan Distortion, Bill Lawrence 500XL

Neck:
80s: Duncan '59 or Jazz, DiMarzio Distortion
Shred: DiMarzio Breed, Duncan '59
Modern: Duncan '59, DiMarzio Breed, DiMarzio Air Norton

Also check out what Rio Grande has to offer. I played a Jackson with their pickups and it was sweet, but I don't know too much about their models and what not.
I'm just going to say not to get new pickups, because you don't see anything wrong with them. They barely change your sound, and frankly aren't worth it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Pick-ups actually have a big effect on your tone, just not as big as your amp. My Dimarzios kick the crap out of the stock V7/V8 that came in my Ibanez.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Pick-ups actually have a big effect on your tone, just not as big as your amp. My Dimarzios kick the crap out of the stock V7/V8 that came in my Ibanez.

True, to the trained ear it makes worlds difference. But, to someone who wants new pickups just because someone told them they were crap, I think they wouldn't notice anyways.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
True, to the trained ear it makes worlds difference. But, to someone who wants new pickups just because someone told them they were crap, I think they wouldn't notice anyways.

True, he should probably try them first lol.
Seymour Duncan Invaders. And to the poster who implied that invaders were blade pickups, they're not. They're humbuckers, genius.
Last edited by HellRaiser620 at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by -heartbreaker-
Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom

Im quite sure Barknuckles are better though

Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Kid Fisto
theyre called bareknuckles and they're mega expensive.

actually theyre not that expensive for well made hand wound pickups at all, a set of bareknuckle pickups will cost you about £200, my emgs cost me about 150 i think, frankly for bareknuckle quality (not that i dont love my emgs) im happy to pay the extra.

If youve got a decent bit of money handy check into bareknuckle's nailbomb and warpig pickups, great passive pickups for metal
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by HellRaiser620
Seymour Duncan Invaders. And to the poster who implied that invaders were blade pickups, they're not. They're humbuckers, genius.

Blade pickups are humbuckers.

Try a X2N, Evo, or Super 3.
What are the thoughts on Dimarzio D-Sonic pups in bridge with a breed or evo in neck and a Fast Track 2 in mid. on an Ibanez
Gear:
-Ibanez
--RG270DX~Blk
--AGS83 Semihlw~Ant.
--AEF30 AcEl~Trans Blk
-BC Rich ST III~Snakeskin
-Strat~oly wht Hendrix
-OLP Tin Top
-Roland Cube30x
-Epi VJ -modded
-4x12 Marshall cab
-Pocket Pod
-Hendrix Wah
-Slash Wah
much more
Not to be the know it all here, but do yourself a favor and get a Bill Lawrence L500XL. They are $40 and they quite simply can't be beat. Not that i'm on the Dime bandwagon, but I prefer active EMG's, and with all of the swapping, money spent and such over the years, the only passive that i've been satisfied with for metal is the L500XL. You really can't beat the price and the tone is just monstrous. So many of the pickups everyone here has been recommending really tend to be so finicky and personal in taste, nevermind expensive. If you are young, on a budget and want to sound like what you hear in your head, try one out. For half the price of the big brands, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. SD' always sound thin, muddy and noisy to me and Dimarzios are more of the same, maybe a bit better, but expensive nonetheless. And you will be pissed after you spend $100 and still don't like how they sound.
Definitely don't get the SD JB, that pickup is too thin for metal in my opinion.

Maybe for crazy hair metal or something, but there are better pickups that are cheaper (L500XL being one of them).

You also may want to check out customizing your own pickup at www.highorderpickups.com.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by ESPaxeman
Seymour Duncan's are good for metal. The JB and 59 combination is sweet.

Agreed... It matters what your going for like Lamb of God/Arch Enemy sound I'd say get the JB bridge, and the 59' neck... Maybe a Scream demon in the bridge and still 59' in the neck... either way 59' in the neck...
Quote by HellRaiser620

they may not be blade humbuckers, but they do suck. really bad.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

did you get yours from BLUSA or Bill and Becky?
if you can affordd it, bareknuckles warpig, but if you dont want to spend all that, a dimarzio x2n and a 59 should be good. but actually play the guitar before you go get new pickups for it, you never no what they'll be like
Quote by dankerfarker2
did you get yours from BLUSA or Bill and Becky?

Bill and Becky, homie. Nothing else will do.

Edit -

Quote by HellRaiser620

You're an idiot. Not only are Invaders plain old junk, "blades" and "humbuckers" are not mutually exclusive terms. Pickups can be both, genius.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by HellRaiser620

I think you are the one who is the "genius" in this case...
Ok, so ive heard alot of good things about the Bill Lawrence L500 on here and from some friends, but ive also heard that there are good and crappy versions of it. Which website is the "right" one to buy it from? I googled it and about ten different sites came up, and evidently the original is the good one so I want to make sure I get the right one. Anyone know where I can get that?

Also, I already bought a SD 59 (still looking for that right second pickup), how good would the Bill Lawrence (in the bridge) work together with the 59 (in the neck). Another question, lol sorry, anyone know how good the Bill Lawrence works for cleans? Like how versatile is it and etc?
Last edited by football4224 at Jan 25, 2009,
Page 1 of 2