Sorry if this is confusing but,

A few days ago I wrote down all major scales and keys because I was bored and needed to anyway. Obviously the intervals for the major scale are 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-1.

Well the intervals for the minor scale are 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-1.

I successfully translated the A and B Major scales into the A and B Minor scale

When I got to C I referred to my major scale chart in the key of C and got C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C.

Then I went about applying the minor scale intervals to the key of C and got
C-D-D#-E-F-F#-G#, ok now I run into a problem, the next note in the key of C is B, ok so I flatten this by one interval and get A#, but then the scale becomes
C-D-D#-E-F-F#-G#-A#-C, but that is nine notes, don't all scales have only eight? Where did I go wrong? How do you fix this problem?
You would have C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb.

Or C-D-D#-F-G-G#-A#
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
It's C-D-D#-F-G-G#-A#-C.

There's no E, and that F# is supposed to be a G.
Gotcha so basicall the "code" for the natural minor scale is W-H-W-W-H-W-W, right?
the "code" for the natural minor scale is W-H-W-W-H-W-W, right?

Correct.

You would have C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb.

Correct.

Or C-D-D#-F-G-G#-A#

Its generally considered 'messy' to have scales written this way with the same note twice (D and D#). That is why C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb is more correct.

don't all scales have only eight?

Including the octave, yes. Youre only thinking of major and minor scales though. Dont forget about pentatonics, and others like the blues scale or whole tone scale which obviously dont contain 8 notes.
Quote by NickSK
It's C-D-D#-F-G-G#-A#-C.

There's no E, and that F# is supposed to be a G.

No, because the formula is 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 , notice the FLAT THIRD. That means the third note of the scale is flattened...the third note is E, and it's flattened so it's Eb. You can't have the same NOTE twice in a single octave scale. Likewise there's no G# or A#, its Ab and Bb. Granted they sound the same, but for the purposes of the C minor scale referring to them as sharps is wrong.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com