Page 1 of 3
i have a dean vendetta xm with a line 6 spider 3 15w amp. i will soon upgrade the pickups to seymour duncan invaders. im looking for some pedals to get some better sound out of my amp. i will also soon buy an ax5g effects proccessor. not very expensive or high end but it will do for a while. im looking for some more pedals to get. i like to play rock and metal. things like slipknot, breaking benjamin, bullet for my valentine, linkin park, the offspring, avenged sevenfold and stuff like that. any ideas??
Everyone here will tell you that if you want a better sound out of your amp, it's going to be much easier and better in the long run to just replace it.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
uhh well..... you should have had effects in mind before you bought youre amp. Ive heard effects dont mix to well with spiders.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
yep save up for a stack or something or a loud tube combo becuase in the long run when your 60 years old and if you still have that old stack with killer distortion then it will be worth lots more soo buying a better amp is bettter investment wise and sound wise
ive had a spider, and my friend currently has one.. there horrid.. save for a new amp.. the only thing really that can be done..
Quote by convictionless
yep save up for a stack or something or a loud tube combo becuase in the long run when your 60 years old and if you still have that old stack with killer distortion then it will be worth lots more soo buying a better amp is bettter investment wise and sound wise

Does it really have to be a stack?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
What's wrong with a nice 15-30 watt tube combo?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
whats wrong with a 100 watt stack that will last you all your life.......and theres a volume knob on it WOW............ -.- you can turn it down and the carvin V3 has a switchable 50 to 100 watt switcher soo thats also a plus at home
the stack argunment is just pointless, the dude is looking for suggestion on pedals

i see you want pedals, but what effects do you want?
well whats the point of getting effects pedals for a 15 watt spider -.- and spiders dont mingle well with effects and also save up for a better amp becuase changing your pickups for a 15 watt ss amp is kind of weird to do and pointless dude soo save up for a good investment amp, trust me it will help lots in the future
Quote by convictionless
whats wrong with a 100 watt stack that will last you all your life.......and theres a volume knob on it WOW............ -.- you can turn it down and the carvin V3 has a switchable 50 to 100 watt switcher soo thats also a plus at home

Yeah you're right. That's the one thing I can't stand about my amp - it has no volume knob on it.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Bleh on the stack. It'll just break your back and break your ears.
30watt Tube ftw.

Anyways, I'd say either get a footswitch for the Line 6 (if you really aren't going to replace the amp), or check out what effects you like whilst experimenting with the Line 6, then get them in stompbox form. I'd also say you'd be better off at least getting a good distortion/overdrive pedal. It'll sound better with OD Pedal>Clean Line 6 than the Line 6's distortion from my experiences with spiders.
ya and now that i just found out about that carvin v3 stack im like *drools* over it and i just want it soo badly now like i would bang 100 fat chicks to get that amp thats how bad i want it........:P
Quote by xTJx
What's wrong with a nice 15-30 watt tube combo?

those are girls amps,once youve stood in front of 8 12 inch speakers (full stack for the noobs) and feel your guitar in your chest everytime you palm mute,you never go back
now if your in a country band ,nothing wrong with a girl amp
^that's great. but there's nothing to discriminate about 15-30 watt tube combos. and it's kinda dumb to just drown out ur drummer with ur 8 12 inch speaker cabs. obviously, drummer will need a PA. if he has it, then u can just mic up an amp too. u can stand in front of those 64x12 inch speaker cabs all over ur stadium and it'll blow ur head off every time u dig in those strings.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Roidster
those are girls amps,once youve stood in front of 8 12 inch speakers (full stack for the noobs) and feel your guitar in your chest everytime you palm mute,you never go back
now if your in a country band ,nothing wrong with a girl amp

Hmm...I can feel the power well enough from my 15W amp thank you very much. I'll come talk to you in 10 years, and I bet your only response will be, "WHAT?!"
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
the spiders and roland cubes are mod. amps and don't like FX pedals...its why i sold my micro cube.

get a new amp before anything else. A combo is fine and tubes are not required but are nice to have.
haha
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
thats were you guys are wrong,i dont have to turn my 8 12's up to hear it,plus i wear ear protection cause drummers cymbal noise does more damage then a guitar rig,with most
combo amps when you play with a drummer who hits hard,you have to put your amp
in a stand on a chair ,or up high on something so you can hear yourself,my rig is over 6 feet high,and i can easily be the loudest guy or the quietest guy in the room and still hear myself
over the drummer and the bass player

just because i have a full stack doesn't mean i have to turn it up,but if i have too i can
and it looks really frickin cool on stage
Quote by Roidster
thats were you guys are wrong,i dont have to turn my 8 12's up to hear it,plus i wear ear protection cause drummers cymbal noise does more damage then a guitar rig,with most
combo amps when you play with a drummer who hits hard,you have to put your amp
in a stand on a chair ,or up high on something so you can hear yourself,my rig is over 6 feet high,and i can easily be the loudest guy or the quietest guy in the room and still hear myself
over the drummer and the bass player

just because i have a full stack doesn't mean i have to turn it up,but if i have too i can
and it looks really frickin cool on stage

you have to realize that you are in a thread trying to help a guy get a better bedroom tone, not play huge gigs. When you get a tube amp, you end up just dying to crank it. In my bedroom with my V16, I can get to an uncomfortable volume in my bedroom, so why even put the 100w all-tube full stack in his bedroom?

I find it cooler to show people that my cream tolex V16 can punch them in the face harder then the metal looking Marshall MG.

I hope to hell you don't have a MG...
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Oct 4, 2007,
u carry ur fullstack on ur back in that bus huh. watch out ur head. (the amp head.)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
/\ XD

To me it just seems unneccesary to have a stack at all. Sure, you'd use it at gigs, but if you need to be THAT loud, then there'll definately be a PA. Might as well save the money and get something else.

@ TS: Hmm, didn't notice you'd get the ax5g processor. In that, I definately reccommend getting a good Overdrive/Distortion pedal. My RP50 has pretty crap distortion on it, the ones in single pedal form sound so much better.

You could go for a Boss SD-1 or DS-1, or maybe a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde for heaps of versitility. If you're not going to get a nice tube amp to crank, then I wouldn't really bother with any really expensive overdrive pedals, wouldn't do it justice imo.
Quote by convictionless

50 watts is still probably too loud for home
thanks to those who actually stayed on topic about the pedals. the amp would have to be the last thing i buy out of all of this because i dont get money often so its rare that i have lots of money so i can really only buy the less expensive parts first. im not giging at all im just looking for more sound options i can get and accuracy to the tones of the bands i listed earlier. i willl eventually buy another amp but LATER right now i want some PEDALS.
Quote by tzmen23
thanks to those who actually stayed on topic about the pedals. the amp would have to be the last thing i buy out of all of this because i dont get money often so its rare that i have lots of money so i can really only buy the less expensive parts first. im not giging at all im just looking for more sound options i can get and accuracy to the tones of the bands i listed earlier. i willl eventually buy another amp but LATER right now i want some PEDALS.

What's the point of putting gas into a car that has no wheels? What's the point of putting many pedals infront of something that sounds poor as is?

I understand money is an issue. Put it away. Don't waste it just because you want to have something in your hands. That's like buying an expired lottery ticket.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
First of all, LAWL at the guy with the Krank head and Behringer cabs. And Secondly I have a 1x12 50 watt tube combo and it pack more of a punch than most half-stacks, and you can hear it like 300 yards from my house when its only half way up. But to stay on topic, to the TS, save for a new amp. Like a nice 15-30w tube combo....
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by Roidster
hahahahahahahahaha i do own a MG,but its 10 watts i live in a apartment
great little amp for that,but thats it
this is my live rig

MEGA LOLZ
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Those of you rambling on about how stacks are better you can just turn them down blah blah blah blah are completely lost. What is the point of getting a tube amp (for distorted music) anyway? Power tube saturation. Why would you buy a half stack tube amp when you can only turn it up to 1.5? Your best tones will come from a lower watt tube combo. You can crank 30 watts a lot easier than 100 watts.

Now, back on topic:

I know it's frustrating to hear it over and over again when all you want is some cool pedals, but trust me, you will be much better off in the long run to save every cent until you can afford a good tube combo.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by tzmen23
i have a dean vendetta xm with a line 6 spider 3 15w amp. i will soon upgrade the pickups to seymour duncan invaders. im looking for some pedals to get some better sound out of my amp. i will also soon buy an ax5g effects proccessor. not very expensive or high end but it will do for a while. im looking for some more pedals to get. i like to play rock and metal. things like slipknot, breaking benjamin, bullet for my valentine, linkin park, the offspring, avenged sevenfold and stuff like that. any ideas??

1) Don't buy invaders. They will most likely sound worse through your amp than the pickups you have now.

2) Don't put a multi-fx processor in front of a modeling amp. Perfect recipe for sounding like crap.

3) Save up for a new amp. It doesn't make sense to buy pedals for a little practice amp that you are going to replace soon because you don't know if the pedals will sound good with your future amp.

4) Babies die every time you play through a Behringer Cab (and he has 2 of them! ). At least he "looks cool"
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Roidster
hahahahahahahahaha i do own a MG,but its 10 watts i live in a apartment
great little amp for that,but thats it
this is my live rig

Laff i bet you don't turn it past 3 when you play live

EDIT: i just found a picture of you looking br00talz in front of said rig, although the entire myspace calls it the best rig ever, but i'd probably get in toruble for posting it
Last edited by philipisabeast at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by philipisabeast
Laff i bet you don't turn it past 3 when you play live

EDIT: i just found a picture of you looking br00talz in front of said rig, although the entire myspace calls it the best rig ever, but i'd probably get in toruble for posting it

I just looked at his myspace, also.

He has 6 pictures of his rig, 3 of them with the titles "The Surpreme Guitar Rig", "Best Guitar Rig EVER!!!!", and "the ultimate guitar rig".

Delusional much?

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
OK first off, DO NOT PUT INVADERS IN A DEAN!!!! Invaders are pretty **** pickups when compared to almost every participant in their competition.

Secondly, focus on the purchase of a new amp because:
1: You need something a little bigger to hear everything more clearly. Effects turn to mush when plugged into anything under 30W solid state.
2: The Line 6 Spider Series is very unconvincing and unalterably condemned because it sounds digital, muddy and can't take any outside units very well. You need something clearer and probably valve, especially since you are putting pickups in and looking for effects. If you don't change amps, you won't hear much difference, if any.

Thirdly, you should look at overdrives first up, then wah, delay, chorus and maybe a phaser later on. Post again if you want to know some specific brands or models of each and I'll respond later because I'm going to band practice soon and can't be bothered to type too much now
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Page 1 of 3