Hi, I don't play bass, but my friend does. We play metal. I was wondering what would be a decent bass amplifier to buy for around $400-500, maybe more, Thanks.
Ibanez SR500 series.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by bassburton
Ibanez SR500 series.

He said bass amp.

I'd recommend looking into Ampeg, Ashdown and Gallien-Krueger. I dont know any specific models in your price range though.
Quote by __Ronnie__
He said bass amp.

I'd recommend looking into Ampeg, Ashdown and Gallien-Krueger. I dont know any specific models in your price range though.

There are NO good sized Ampegs in his price range. People really should stop name dropping Ampeg every time an amp question comes up.

There may be an Ashdown combo in that price range, though.
No need to look, you'll probably end up buying an Ashdown combo anyways.
They are the best in that price range.
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
Quote by henkschins
No need to look, you'll probably end up buying an Ashdown combo anyways.
They are the best in that price range.

I agree

Take a look at this amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C115300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485032

Excellent quality and sound.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I have the Ashdown Electric Blue 180 and I play metal. Mess with the EQs long enough and it works great.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Dr bass and Avatar make VERY affordable cabs (under $500), but I'm assuming you're looking for a combo.

The aforementioned Ashdown combos are good deals.
Look up the models in my sig... I know some people aren't fans of Hartke, but it plays beautifully for me, and I play various types of metal.
Quote by treebranch13
the Ashdown is good, or you can get a lower end GK

I'd advise against a low GK...if you're not going for the Goldline or SBX series, don't bother. I love GK and all, but the Backline series amps are less than good
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Ashdown MAG series, I''d go for the 4x10 if i were you, rather than the 1x15.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
The ashdown is nice, but warwick makes a 250 watt amp with 1x15, 1x8 and a HF horn. It will play the upper register really better than the 1x15 ashown, plus it has a built in compressor. I can buy it for cheap here in Europe, but I don't know for you guys. Anyway, here it is.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Ashdown all the way. Ashdown give a great rounded tone that can cover all bases for a price that's hard to beat. If you can stretch to buy the MAG head and cab setup, as opposed to the combo, you'll be set up for almost any gig you're ever likely to play as an unsigned band, and have an outstanding array of tonal options by mixing and matching speakers to taste. If not, the combo option is still damned good and plenty to keep you going for most gigs, which you can mic up and run through the PA if you want and/or need to.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by rblair17
berhinger br450 watt head sounds awsome!!

Mmmm I beg to differ. Behringer stuff doesn't sound good, and it's more unreliable than a french car, I wouldn't recommend it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!