Have a Fender P-bass, got a new pickguard for it, the screw holes don't all line up, blah blah blah.

I need to drill new holes, for all but one screw. How will that effect my bass, should I do it, what tool do I need to do it effectively, anything else I should know... ?
Quote by treebranch13
return it for another pick guard.... one that fits

+1
it probably won't effect your sound either way and unless it's a MIA, it probably won't effect the resale value. but re-drilling a $400 to $1500 bass to fit a $20 p-guard, doesn't sound very practical(smart). if you wanna do it, the only tool required is a drill with a slightly smaller diameter drill bit, of the hole required, a steady hand, and a keen eye. having said that, i'll add....
Quote by treebranch13
return it for another pick guard.... one that fits
Wow, for a second I didn't see the "b" in your title. I should probably be going to bed now...
Quote by yawn
Wow, for a second I didn't see the "b" in your title. I should probably be going to bed now...

Yeah, maybe you should.

But drilling wholes in your Bass sounds dangerous, what if it goes wrong??

But if you are handy, DO IT. It's you bass.. not mine. You might want to go to the local musicstore (one for instruments and not for cd's k) and ask it there.
K well I put the old pickguard back on. Both the pickguards are black, only I covered my first one (was gold) in black mylar contact paper to make it a different color. It looks all right, but it also looks like it was something I did. The pickguard I bought is gloss black.

I'm thinking of returning the guard, only, I kind of "widdled" the pickguard to fit my bass right. I took a pocket knife and shaved off some area around the pick-ups and the controls. So they probably won't take it back. I am screwed out of $15, I believe?

Another route I thought of taking was just telling them that when I got the guard, it was like that. But I don't know if I want to do that or not, I would feel bad about it. Plus, it's a nice, "mom and pop" shop.
Sly Taco says, dont drill. Return that cheapo guard. Get a fender one like the man above me said.

Change yer sig sonnyboy!! Im back beeeeiiiitches!!!!!!!!!
Well, I've posted about this before, and it's hard to find a guard that fits my bass perfectly. I have a Fender P-Bass Special, so it has 4 knobs to deal with, and also the screw holes don't always align up right, it's a lot to mess with.

Just going there today and going to see if they can't help me figure something out without having to reroute my bass.
I've really done a lot of research on it. I've found that Pickguards.us do it, but they require me to send them my pickguard and wait a month and a half before I get my orriginal or my new guard back, plus the cost of shipping and the $45 for the new guard.

That is a lot of mess to go through to get the new guard, I can't really go a month and a half without having a guard on my bass, because I don't want to damage it.
if you want to drill - drill slow and smooth. What you don't want happening is to drill too fast and you crack the finish. Then if it cannot be hidden by the pick guard, youre ****ed.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9