yes the fender Frontman 15G that comes with your squire...after almost 5 years...the 8th would have been the anniversary of me starting to play.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyway. im at college, and i have my behringer at home so i brought this up since its small and i had headphones for it. and my electronics tools are back home. so is there any other way to figure out what blew on it and if anything is salvageable? i know its not a great amp by any means...but where i am, its the only thing i have.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Since you're in college, and I guess you have no cash (you're a college student).
I really wouldn't toy around with it, or maybe search for someone who knows that kind of stuff. Just get a mini amp until you get it figured out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
well i do have some savings, but thats going to a new tube amp. the behringer, i like it but i crave tube. plus i took electronics for 3 years in high school so im not totally ingnorant. plus i would like this to be like a re-intro into electronics as i want to start building my own effects and stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well... i'm assuming you live in a dorm, so maybe you should just buy a little 5 watter tube amp for your dorm.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by forsaknazrael
SS amps are usually pretty much done once they break. Repairs usually cost more than they're worth.

I disagree, especially with a little amp like the 15G. I too have my 15G at school, but right before I came back this semester it broke. I opened it up and it turned out that one of the copper strips on the board floated off the pcb and shorted out on a capacitor which burned it up. it was probably from the heat and vibration and the fact that its like 4 years old. I just traced out where that copper strip was going and soldered a 22 gauge solid core jumper wire and now its all good
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
Quote by matticus66
I disagree, especially with a little amp like the 15G. I too have my 15G at school, but right before I came back this semester it broke. I opened it up and it turned out that one of the copper strips on the board floated off the pcb and shorted out on a capacitor which burned it up. it was probably from the heat and vibration and the fact that its like 4 years old. I just traced out where that copper strip was going and soldered a 22 gauge solid core jumper wire and now its all good

And how much do you think it would have cost to have a repairman diagnose that problem, fix it, and service your amp? I don't know how much these things cost in America, but here in Aus thats pretty close to the price of a new 15G
yea. maybe i can just fiddle around with it. or just buy an acoustic. kinda wanted one and never got around to buying it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'd say you should at least give it a shot by yourself before you totally give up on it. Open it up, make sure the speaker isn't blown, then have a look at all the components on the board. Look for funny solder joints, wierd looking components that might be blown, anything that's burned, or lifted PCB traces.
thats what i was going to do today coke. just a quick question, would it be obvious if my speaker was blown, because that might be it. i came home one day and my retard cousin was playing my schecter bass through it. thank god that he used this instead if my behringer, but i know that might be the problem.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Hmm... what kind of sound are you getting out of it? Nothing at all, or just some farty noises? If it's the farty-ness, sounds like a blown speaker. If you're not sure, take the speaker out and look at it. Any rips or something = blown.
You might have fried the power transistor. Those aren't expensive at all, just check the numbers and be sure the new one matches. How did you blow it though? If you plugged a high-impedance load into the phone jack, then it's more than likely the power trans.

Edit: also, the bass might have blown the trans... My 25R can handle a bass though so I didn't think about that on your 15G...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Oct 4, 2007,
yea. im pretty sure its the power transistor....i had a feeling it was that to begin with. because the power LED on the front just kinda slowly got dimmer then it just wouldnt turn back on.

**EDIT**: i just saw a fuse in there. it appears to have blown....attempting extraction. got it. any idea what kind of fuse it is so i can replace it
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Oct 4, 2007,
I think it was a 250 volt, 5 amp fuse.

This same thing happened to my old 15G so I went back to the guitar store and gave the guy the blown amp and $70 and went home with a 25R.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Oct 4, 2007,
heh, maybe i will think about doing that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Invader Jim
I think it was a 250 volt, 5 amp fuse.

This same thing happened to my old 15G so I went back to the guitar store and gave the guy the blown amp and $70 and went home with a 25R.

5 amp Something like 500mA would be my guess. Have a look on the end of the fuse and it should be stamped on there.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Cofflecakes
And how much do you think it would have cost to have a repairman diagnose that problem, fix it, and service your amp? I don't know how much these things cost in America, but here in Aus thats pretty close to the price of a new 15G

It costed me 12 bucks for a soldering iron starter kit and an hour of my time to figure it out. My fix wasnt all that difficult and I've never taken any electronics courses
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
well luckliy for me matticus, i had 3 years of electronics and i have all the soldering equiptment i need that i stole. i was a clepto back then. and i think the teacher knew and just didnt care....o well....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals