Page 1 of 2
Flag worship detracts from the true spirit of American Freedom. If I want to show love for my country I'm not going to do it by being reverent to a piece of cloth, I'm going to work for it's people.
Quote by GrungePb
god when will people grow up, its a flag

Only Americans can be free in America, obviously.
Nice banana, Andy Warhol.
Quote by GrungePb
god when will people grow up, its a flag

Exactly. People on both sides of the issue need to shut the **** up.
Quote by GrungePb
you think Americans would have accepted diversity by now

We only pretend to have accepted it.
Flag worship is worse than celebrity worship.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I had thoughts about it yesterday when the same thread was made.
the law is the law.

the flag shouldn't have been flown, and the guy shouldn't have stolen it.

you can't pick and choose which laws you want to follow.

just like illegal immigration. for now, it's still illegal. illegal is illegal.
I don't actually care about flags but when Mexicans come over illegally they should at least leave their ****ty country behind. And learn English.
Quote by kidsthesedays
the law is the law.

too bad were all illegal immigrants, unless its legal to slaughter a race of people and take over their land and then deny others entrance
Quote by GrungePb
too bad were all illegal immigrants, unless its legal to slaughter a race of people and take over their land and then deny others entrance

Bingo.
Quote by GrungePb

lol that response is always used. it's the dumbest logic ever.

we conquered the indians. that's war. not immigration. guess what. the indians fought each other for hundreds of years before us. every one of them got where they were through war. that's how nations get where they are. that's how the anglo-saxons got into england. (the indians also had no immigration laws haha...i'm sure they would have tried to enforce them if they did.)

now we make the laws, and it is our duty to enforce them. duh.

if you don't like the laws, try to change em. that's a completely separate issue.
It doesn't have anything to do with diversity it has to do with the law. We'll let you fly your national flag all you want but you are in America and therefore the American flag's gotta fly higher. The guy did overreact though especially since apparantly the shop owner didn't know of the law.
Quote by kidsthesedays
lol that response is always used. it's the dumbest logic ever.

we conquered the indians. that's war. not immigration. guess what. the indians fought each other for hundreds of years before us. every one of them got where they were through war. that's how nations get where they are. that's how the anglo-saxons got into england. (the indians also had no immigration laws haha...i'm sure they would have tried to enforce them if they did.)

now we make the laws, and it is our duty to enforce them. duh.

if you don't like the laws, try to change em. that's a completely separate issue.

takes lives for land is not a just cause, just cause people did it before doesn't mean its right,

that sort of thinking causes history to repeat it self, so when America gets invaded and everyone is killed and the cycle repeats I dont think you would be making the argument you are now
Quote by Bobbito315
It doesn't have anything to do with diversity it has to do with the law. We'll let you fly your national flag all you want but you are in America and therefore the American flag's gotta fly higher. The guy did overreact though especially since apparantly the shop owner didn't know of the law.

its rather obvious he was flying them in order of this background, you people have to learn to share cultures not kill them,

its a dumb law made by some over proud american
eh, little ticked about this but as a mexican-american i feel that if we do come here to this kick ass nation then we should make adjustments to our lives. or we could wait 10 to 15 more years when theres a black president and most, if not the entire nation goes from white to diverse. so they can try to be patriotic, but more americans like that "vet." who believe in the american dream is a sell out. give him a chance to go on who wants to be a millionaire and that chance to work for his dream goes out the window. the only people that really do believe in the american dream are a bunch of immigrants now. so, they're keepin' america alive, so to speak. but then again this is just my opinion much like those radical white people.
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
See, to me it's pretty logical law. Like I said we'll let him fly his flag, "we people" don't have a problem with that. The problem is when he flys it above our flag therefore breaking the law and becoming a criminal.
And let's get this straight. I love the mexican culture, the food, the lifestyle, the language (even though I can't speak it for ****). So don't start thinkin about me as some white supremist bastard.
wow, thats a fkn stupid law, americans need to gtfover themselves, seriously >.< its a fkn flag, the guy was clearly mexican, isnt he allowed to show his heritage?
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Quote by garden of grey
Where's the logic?

You just said his breaking of the law was wrong because it was breaking of the law...

(Again, he didn't know about it.)

A big round of applause for the land of the free unless I say so!

What's not logical about that? Breaking the law is wrong because it's breaking the law. And you talk about america like we were the only nation that had slavery. It's been legal in just about every nation in the world at some point and time.
garden of grey is ever the smart one. but the whole thing is stupid, a law that tells its people what they should think and choosing their values? its ridiculous!
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Quote by kidsthesedays
the law is the law.

You can't say that breaking the law is wrong because it is illegal. Circular arguing does not hold up in court and it certainly does not hold up here. Why is a law a law? Why do you follow laws, other than the fact that it is a law?

Following a law just because of the simple fact that it is a law is how things such as segregation were allowed to exist. It's why people have been executed in the US for having political opinions that were not endorsed by the US government. People have died for having opinions and for trying to spread them. Why? Because when you don't question the law, when you don't disobey laws that are outdated, un-necessary, and unrealistic, you offer complete control to the government, which is not supposed to be the case in a democratic republic such as ours.
Last edited by skeptopotamus at Oct 4, 2007,
Haha peace man. I just don't think we have the same logic my evidence would be the law itself.
And I understand that the man didn't know about the law and my deepest sympathies go out to him, but just cuz he didn't know about it doesn't mean that it doesn't apply to him.
^ but its a fkn stupid law? it shouldn't exist
Quote by hug a llama

Quote by Burpin'Worm
You still haven't justified your opinions. Can you even justify them to yourself? Have you ever questioned the law? Questioning does not have to lead to disobedience. It CAN lead to disobedience, but does not have to. The most important thing about questioning laws and practices is that it should lead to a better understanding of how you feel about right and wrong. Until you can detail your opinions without using fallacies (circular arguing, etc), you will have no truly logical way to back up your opinions.
Maybe so I dunno, but it's a law nonetheless, whether you like it or not and I obviously beleive that it's reasonable because yes we'll let people fly foreign flags but since you are in America you have to pay proper respects to the country that is allowing your living in it, and if you're not willing to then you shouldn't have come in the first place. and I'm not saying the shop keeper should go back to mexico because, as the article said, he didn't know about the law.
Quote by Kulvin
I don't actually care about flags but when Mexicans come over illegally they should at least leave their ****ty country behind. And learn English.

I disagree. When people come here, they are welcome to bring their culture, because that is what America is about. Why should they learn English? It's not the national language. To incinuate that they must conform to you because you are superior, is pure ignorance.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by skeptopotamus
You still haven't justified your opinions. Can you even justify them to yourself? Have you ever questioned the law? Questioning does not have to lead to disobedience. It CAN lead to disobedience, but does not have to. The most important thing about questioning laws and practices is that it should lead to a better understanding of how you feel about right and wrong. Until you can detail your opinions without using fallacies (circular arguing, etc), you will have no truly logical way to back up your opinions.

I question many laws, such as some of the death penalty laws but I won't go there. I just happen to agree with this one.
People seem to have lost sight of what America is. We shouldent worship presidents, flags or have pledges. The flag is just a piece of cloth and it shouldent stand for our country. America and its ideals can stand on their own.
oh so, maybe he was running away from poverty? or violence? you reckon just because its "your" country and he's foreign he should go back to that?
who are the government to decide the people living inside the country to decide their values?
many immigrants come to australia and they dont go around flying the aussie flag, no one gives a flying f*ck, many of them don't even speak fluent english we dont fine them or let alone have a law against it. But notice how he was also flying the American flag? maybe he was paying his respects to the country "as he should" (according to you) but he just values his home country above america, i know i would if i moved there.
Quote by hug a llama

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Quote by CORT noob
I disagree. When people come here, they are welcome to bring their culture, because that is what America is about. Why should they learn English? It's not the national language. To incinuate that they must conform to you because you are superior, is pure ignorance.

this guy is spot on
+100
Quote by hug a llama

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Quote by Taylz24
oh so, maybe he was running away from poverty? or violence? you reckon just because its "your" country and he's foreign he should go back to that?
who are the government to decide the people living inside the country to decide their values?
many immigrants come to australia and they dont go around flying the aussie flag, no one gives a flying f*ck, many of them don't even speak fluent english we dont fine them or let alone have a law against it. But notice how he was also flying the American flag? maybe he was paying his respects to the country "as he should" (according to you) but he just values his home country above america, i know i would if i moved there.

Well assuming the man knew of the law and did it anyways, yeah I would say he should go back to it, or take the fines of course. I don't mind immigrants one bit, but if they don't pay respects then yeah they should go back.
Only in America...

I don't like the USA sometimes...

I just really loved the fact that he's all, "WooT! FLAG!!! FIGHT ME FOR FLAG!!! *wipes knife on flag* I LOVE THIS FLAG!!! THEY WILL FIGHT ME FOR FLAG!!!! *wipes knife on flag* AMERICA A NUMBA' ONE!!!

Yeah...
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by GrungePb
you think Americans would have accepted diversity by now

You think you'd stop being an elitest pig by now.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Bobbito315
Well assuming the man knew of the law and did it anyways, yeah I would say he should go back to it, or take the fines of course. I don't mind immigrants one bit, but if they don't pay respects then yeah they should go back.

*sigh* you are missing my point
which is
THEY DONT NEED TO RESPECT YOUR COUNTRY AND FLYING A FKN FLAG IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT YOU FKN IGNORANT DOUCHEBAG OF AN AMERICAN FK TARD
Quote by hug a llama

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Quote by Taylz24
*sigh* you are missing my point
which is
THEY DONT NEED TO RESPECT YOUR COUNTRY AND FLYING A FKN FLAG IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT YOU FKN IGNORANT DOUCHEBAG OF AN AMERICAN FK TARD

BITCH!!!

AMERICA WILL SEND !40357657656734767659867 TROOPS TO YOUR HOUSE AND SHOVE NUKES UP YOUR ASS!!!

THAT'S THE WAY AMERICA SOLVES ITS PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!

Then we'll poster our flag all over your property and claim it as our own and then pretend we've been there all along...

Yup. America A Numba' One!!!!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Page 1 of 2