Page 1 of 2
I was thinking the other day and i finally found out what got me playing
guitar..I was inspired by two songs as a kid.

1) Welcome to the Jungle----> Guns and Roses
It was impossible for me to sit still and listen.

2) lmao...believe it or not... The Spiderman theme from the saturday morning
cartoon show. I played air guitar to it...
see it here----> http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUkSzbLfOxs
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 4, 2007,
None, really, I just always thought it was an interesting instrument.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
i saw a stairway to heaven cover played at a talent show, bought a guitar that month
I never really wanted to start playing guitar, as a young chap I always hoped that one day i would be a drummer but my stupid parents made me start guitar and now I'm pretty decent at it
hmm.... i saw my cousin when she first started playing 'house of the rising sun'

but what got me started was that i could play john butler trio's 'zebra' riff first go when i first picked up an acoustic.

smoke on the water and seven nation army had their influences.

i now hate john butler lol, and hence, i've got an electric, and dont hug trees... but thanks for the inspiration nonetheless
Quote by Blackvelvet

That could be the single most logical, helpful response ive ever gotten from UG.
Thank you very much.

Quote by Nor'Easterbass
wow. i don't give these out much, but...an e-cookie to GruntFuttock for being an EPIC good friend and a genius beside. bravo.
One- metallica wasnt really the guitar more of the singing
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by GruntFuttock
hmm.... i saw my cousin when she first started playing 'house of the rising sun'

but what got me started was that i could play john butler trio's 'zebra' riff first go when i first picked up an acoustic.

smoke on the water and seven nation army had their influences.

i now hate john butler lol, and hence, i've got an electric, and dont hug trees... but thanks for the inspiration nonetheless

Your guitar is made from a tree........

and for me it was John Frusciante and the solo from Sweet child o mine, which is still one of my favourite solos ever.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
System of a Down got me into wanting to play music.

The think the moment I decided to play guitar was hearing Aerials again for the first time since it came out, maybe two years ago.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
I think my influences go back to Paul Weller and The Jam. 'All Around The World' made me want to play guitar, and 'Start!' and 'Town Called Malice' got me into bass.
Yeah..I think that's what got me started.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

Hehe, I used to watch that as a kid. I guess the thing that got me into guitar was guitar hero. It sounds kinda stupid, but I thought that if it feels this cool to play a fake guitar, how good would it feel to play a real guitar? It was generally just a mix of different things, not a certain song.
War - Joe Satriani

Found it by accident. Really hit the nail on the head in what I was looking for in music at the time. That was the song that got me started on rock guitar. However, I didn't take up interest in learning to play until early the next year. I went around and had a listen at some other stuff my friends showed me and starting buying CDs and eventually thought, 'this is something I'd like to give a try'. But Satriani was the catalysta and i'll never forgive him for it.
Mandatory gear list
Ibanez S470
Vox AD30VT
Vox V847

"There are people that I know won't hurt me. I call those people corpses."
My friend started playing guitar, then I started soon after him.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
sweet child o mine-guns n roses
bohemian rhapsody-queen...maddest riff ever
duality-slipknot
the way the guitarist gets the girl...
Quote by Alex The Red

If it doesn't have to do with tube amps or sex most of us don't really care..

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Looks like Lars Ulrich decided to become a hacker.

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

Last edited by morrison27 at Oct 4, 2007,
I saw an SBC commercial with Eric Clapton (you guys know it! 2 years ago.) playing layla, and I begged my dad to buy me a Clapton CD. whaddya know, i bought my strat (black with maple neck) a month later.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
For me, I wasn't inspired by any songs. I was always hanging out with my friend Dustin, and he got a Squier Strat for his birthday a few years ago... I was at his house once, and he hooked that thing up to his little 15-watt amp, turned on the distortion, and struck a power chord. I was like "WOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I immediately stole my dad's acoustic guitar and started looking at tabs online. I had no instruction at all, I learned how to read tabs by trial and error, and I learned how to play by reading simple tabs. Once I learned how to play power chords, I spent the majority of my formative guitar playing years figuring out how to play Nirvana and Green Day songs.

So yeah, I wasn't inspired by songs, I was inspired by the sheer awesomeness of electric guitar and the allure of jamming with people and being in a band.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
drive by incubus started it
everlong by the foo fighters was the first song i really put effort in to learn though
I watched Pink Floyd - Pulse and during the Comfortably Numb solo all I was thinking was: Must learn to do this. NOW!
im not quite sure of the song, but there was something about collective soul that inspired me to play guitar, i was and still am a huge fan of their music.
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Last edited by malmsteenkid at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Hehe, I used to watch that as a kid. I guess the thing that got me into guitar was guitar hero. It sounds kinda stupid, but I thought that if it feels this cool to play a fake guitar, how good would it feel to play a real guitar? It was generally just a mix of different things, not a certain song.

+1 For Guitar Hero LOL

Though now it's just lame =\...I can no longer sit and play it. It just bores me.

Real guitar has taken over I guess.
*watches TS video*

man, what has happened to theme songs these days? they used to be damn awesome!

anyway, mine wasn't really any song. i started playing because my brother played piano and my family wanted to give me equivalent lessons. so i took up classical at like 10/11. i got an electric when i started listening to Led Zeppelin and stuff a few years later if that counts?
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Reptilia by the Strokes got me into it, One Big Rush - Live in San Francisco by Joe Satriani got me REALLY into it.
I was personally interested when my friend was playing Unholy Confessions by A7X (personally i dont like em that much but that CD Waking The Fallen is good). anwho i had had a guitar for abou 5 years and never touched it. i started goofing around with it when i saw him play that. then I heard Satch. Now other than Halo its all i want to play
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
hmmm well it was my dad and my friendssss as far as people....

but songs.....hmmm they'd have to be:

Heartbreaker-Led Zeppelin

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)-Jimi Hendrix

now ive got them down almost perfectly haha....big steppp from scales rite?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
2 songs

knights of cydonia

and

dirty deeds done dirt cheap
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
i don't think it was a song but i know part of the reason i wanted to get serious about playing guitar was a guitar class at my middle school. that was an awesome class. and it had an awesome teacher.
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
Quote by GruntFuttock
John Butler > You
overure by rush, saw it in dying to live and said i hae to be able to do that, now ive got it almost down cept im so far from the solo...
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks
Guitar Hero.

and the song that actually hooked me to guitar, was Master Of Puppets.
i popped up on UG one day and looked up a tab, it was surprising because ive never seen
a tab in my life, so i never learned how to read them, yet i understood how it worked within about 3minutes.
so i slowly learned the song over a course of a month (yeah, i seriously JUST picked up a guitar when i learned it)and kept at it.

the other songs would be everything on the Ascendancy album by Trivium.
Quote by revan1013
System of a Down got me into wanting to play music.

The think the moment I decided to play guitar was hearing Aerials again for the first time since it came out, maybe two years ago.

Same
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
i remember when i listened to my moms Led Zeppelin III album. Tangerine. learnt it in about a week. (pretty good for a beginner)
Holiday by Green Day

For sure

lol I didn't learn it until a year though my career
Quote by neopowell
Killing yourself seems like the only simple solution.
Page 1 of 2