Page 1 of 2
then what do you pit dwellers think he would have to say about today's music scene, which guitar he would b playing in today's day and age, would he have helped make marijuana legal, or got arrested in the process??? let the whole of UG know what you think!!!

and in my humble opinion, i think if hendrix were alive today, he would piss upon all those who are a shame to the guitar community(i will not name names people), and we would be sticking to his guns playing the strat, but he would have experimented with loads of different guitars, and may have gone more soft and acoustic by now(like eric clapton), and he would still be getting high on cannabis, with or without much legal hassals, anyhoo, that's what i think, peace out
I think you're wrong on every count.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
He'd have sold out and made guest appearances in krunk music videos.
He wouldn't be half as famous as he is now
The mystery of him wouldn't exist if he hadn't died and it's likely his music would be much overlooked

It's the same with many bands, Dimebag only got very widespread fame after he was shot, the same with Kurt Cobain, the reason nevermind became as popular as its become is due to the fact media only took interest after he'd died

So there'd be very little legend in my eyes
Quote by philipisabeast
The mystery of him wouldn't exist if he hadn't died and it's likely his music would be much overlooked

It's the same with many bands, Dimebag only got very widespread fame after he was shot, the same with Kurt Cobain, the reason nevermind became as popular as its become is due to the fact media only took interest after he'd died

Really? So.. those millions upon millions of copies Nirvana sold before Kurt died..

That was a fluke, right?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Dude..If he wouldn't of died when he died...He would of died sometime within the next year

Think about it
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Really? So.. those millions upon millions of copies Nirvana sold before Kurt died..

That was a fluke, right?
Pearl Jam sold millions of copies in their hey day as well.

But which band gained the definitive "legendary" status?
Quote by yawn
Pearl Jam sold millions of copies in their hey day as well.

But which band gained the definitive "legendary" status?

Oh, I dunno.. Both. Seeing as how Pearl Jam has a Grateful Dead like following with their tours and what not.

Though, he did say that the media only take interest AFTER Kurt died.. Which is just plain wrong.
Quote by vintage x metal

Well, I don't think anybody would care what he had to say since without dying young, people had no reason to immortalize him like they did and thusly he wouldn't be looked upon as favorably as he is. He would've lived a longer life (obviously) and had the chance to put out more music, some of which would be sub-par, and it'd piss off fans and people would argue over whether "Old Jimi" or "New Jimi" was better, and he'd play a "come back" show at the VMAs every couple of years, and comedians would be making snide remarks about how old he was and how he needed to retire.

Even if he campaigned for the legalization of cannabis, I don't think that'd affect its legal status. How many lawmakers do you know that listen to the opinions of musicians? He'd probably be jailed a few times and get off light 'cos he's a celebrity.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
If Jimi Hendrix were alive today, he'd be doing the same exact thing every other musician is doing. Writing, touring, and smoking. He'd still have had a magnificent impact on rock and metal, and he would still be considered a legend. But I highly doubt he'd be as popular as he was in his prime, from a mainstream standpoint. His fame would be more along the lines of Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, and Rick Derringer. Popular, well-known, and talented folks, but you're not going to hear them on your average rock station. Jimi was highly experimental, and at some point he'd either become so obscure that nobody would be interested anymore, or he'd be forced to go back to a more mainstream sound.

Still, the possibilities are endless. He might actually have formed a death metal band and grew dreadlocks and a ten foot long braided beard, who knows?
Quote by Mud Martian
If Jimi Hendrix were alive today, he'd be doing the same exact thing every other musician is doing. Writing, touring, and smoking. He'd still have had a magnificent impact on rock and metal, and he would still be considered a legend. But I highly doubt he'd be as popular as he was in his prime, from a mainstream standpoint. His fame would be more along the lines of Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, and Rick Derringer. Popular, well-known, and talented folks, but you're not going to hear them on your average rock station. Jimi was highly experimental, and at some point he'd either become so obscure that nobody would be interested anymore, or he'd be forced to go back to a more mainstream sound.

Still, the possibilities are endless. He might actually have formed a death metal band and grew dreadlocks and a ten foot long braided beard, who knows?

HEY! I know you! 10!

Anyway, I dunno why everyone is so convinced Jimi would still be using drugs.. Plenty of other musicians who used in the sixties are clean and sober now.

Eric Clapton even played the Narcotics Anonymous World Convention last year. And ZZ Top played at the last one, along with Kenny Wayne Shephard, and a bunch of other badass musicians.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill

That was a fluke, right?

I never said it wasn't popular, but it only got stratospheric worldwide attention, as did alot of his work after he died

I said "as popular as its become" - back in the early 90's was it really that popular that pretty much every teenager across the western world owned a copy?
Quote by philipisabeast

My point is proven.

Anyway, I don't think Dimebag Darrell is anywhere near the level of fame as Kurt is.. Guitarists have always known who Dime was.. I know plenty of people who still have no idea who Dime is, so long as they don't play guitar.
Quote by vintage x metal

if jimi we alive today he would walk up to u threadstarter and bit*h slap the hell out of u for making this thread... im j/k if he were alive he would be doing wut he loved most and thats either drugs, playing guitar, or having sex with many anonymous women at one time.
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
As i said, as popular as it has become, there are many biographies of the band that tell how it was just accepted by mainstream media as an average album and wasn't fan fared up or anything - you cannot say that it had sold the majority of its huge sales figures before 1994 when he died - the fact he killed himself was bound to bring in more media focused attention, who was this guy? they asked

And dimebag was well known to metal guitarists or those that way inclined, but its not about total fame, i was making a point that he is far more wideknown now in the music community than he was
i like to think if he were still around today he'd be more of a producer working with young talent to help them become the next Hendrixs...He slowed down he playing in the 70s to pursue other arts but came back in the 80s because hair metal made him want to ram a strat down the throat of every member of Motley Crue....so he went around playing new stuff like funky but all hendrix like,then he came across frusciante in 89' and turned him into the next Hendrix,up until the John Frusciante Experience broke up in 91' when JF ironically choked on his own vomit in his sleep...
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

-UG-Sumphead,Miggy01,Bostonrocks

-HC-sdresdre,XMahkaihX,Juan_M,mmcquain,teletaylor,frankiej
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Oh, I dunno.. Both. Seeing as how Pearl Jam has a Grateful Dead like following with their tours and what not.

Though, he did say that the media only take interest AFTER Kurt died.. Which is just plain wrong.
Kurt Cobain's the one that every 14-year-old-I-just-got-into-older-rock-music kid idolizes, not McCready or Vedder.
Quote by yawn
Kurt Cobain's the one that every 14-year-old-I-just-got-into-older-rock-music kid idolizes, not McCready or Vedder.

That's because they wait until they're fifteen or sixteen to get into Vedder.

As for what the other guy said:

Um.. I guess you don't remember the nineties.. like.. at all..
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
That's because they wait until they're fifteen or sixteen to get into Vedder.
Exactly...

(I don't think this discussion is getting anywhere. o.O )
Quote by yawn
Exactly...

(I don't think this discussion is getting anywhere. o.O )

You should have pointed out that everyone has at least heard of Kurt Cobain, but there are plenty of random people who have no idea who Eddie Vedder is..

There, I argued for you.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You should have pointed out that everyone has at least heard of Kurt Cobain, but there are plenty of random people who have no idea who Eddie Vedder is..

There, I argued for you.
Well, I guess I showed you.
to everyone here who says that jimi would lose the god-icon status that he now enjoys sittin up in rock heaven, i totally agree, it's the mistique of the early death of an influencial musician that seals their fate among the masses, not only kurt cobain, but bon scott, jim morrison, these guys were already famous, along with the bands they were in, but their deaths, ironically, were the little push that was needed to bring about superstardom and immortalization, n this was intened as a fun 'what if...' thread, no need to get all 'i'm ****ing right, hence i bitchslap you', please, maintain an amount of decency here!!! no matter how absurdedly low!!
Last edited by spider666 at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by philipisabeast
As i said, as popular as it has become, there are many biographies of the band that tell how it was just accepted by mainstream media as an average album and wasn't fan fared up or anything - you cannot say that it had sold the majority of its huge sales figures before 1994 when he died - the fact he killed himself was bound to bring in more media focused attention, who was this guy? they asked

And dimebag was well known to metal guitarists or those that way inclined, but its not about total fame, i was making a point that he is far more wideknown now in the music community than he was

Good point, because when it happened to Shannon Hoon and Layne Staley, it really brought the Media crawling.
Quote by vintage x metal

Hendrix would still be playing guitar.

Does it really matter what else he would be doing?
But there's no sense crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
My point is proven.

Anyway, I don't think Dimebag Darrell is anywhere near the level of fame as Kurt is.. Guitarists have always known who Dime was.. I know plenty of people who still have no idea who Dime is, so long as they don't play guitar.

10!

Yeah, Dimebag Darrel is nowhere near as popular as Kurt Cobain is. But they don't really have a lot in common, other than they both had long hair and played guitar.

And Kurt Cobain was insanely popular before he died. His death merely ensured that popularity would thrive through the next two decades and possibly further. There is a vast number of kids listening to Nirvana today that weren't even alive when he died, or were still in diapers.

Kurt Cobain was an image, and the music he made and the words he sang, as confusing and meaningless as they may seem to be, meant something to the kids of that generation, myself included. Like Jimi Hendrix, he liked to try new things. In Utero is a vastly different piece of work from Nevermind, which is a vastly different piece of work from Bleach. That kind of evolution and progression doesn't have much success in the mainstream music scene for very long, obviously as Nevermind is far more popular than In Utero is.

I believe both Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain would've kept a legendary status, but would be too obscure / different to keep mainstream interest and thus... Well, they end up like Black Sabbath, Alice in Chains, and Johnny Winter. That's my opinion anyway.

Dimebag, if he were alive, well, as much as I hate to say this... it wouldn't mean much at all. His death is making Dunlop and Dean a ton of money, but if he were alive, he'd be just as obscure from a mainstream standpoint as he is now. I mean seriously, ask people on the street if they know Dimebag Darrel. Only way they'd know him is if they were Pantera fans or played guitar.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Good point, because when it happened to Shannon Hoon and Layne Staley, it really brought the Media crawling.

Actually, Shannon Hoon and Layne Staley got very little attention. My uncle knew that Layne Staley died, and has heard tons of Alice in Chains in the past 15 years, but only actually knew Layne Staley's name a few weeks ago when I told him. It pisses me off because, now that Alice is back, a lot of the kids that are listening to them now don't have a clue who Layne was. A shame.

Shannon Hoon, forget about it. Most people don't know who Blind Melon is. Most people know No Rain, but not Blind Melon, and definitely not Shannon Hoon.
Last edited by Mud Martian at Oct 4, 2007,
If Hendrix was alive today, he'd be dead by now.

/thread
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Quote by Mud Martian
10!

Yeah, Dimebag Darrel is nowhere near as popular as Kurt Cobain is. But they don't really have a lot in common, other than they both had long hair and played guitar.

And Kurt Cobain was insanely popular before he died. His death merely ensured that popularity would thrive through the next two decades and possibly further. There is a vast number of kids listening to Nirvana today that weren't even alive when he died, or were still in diapers.

Kurt Cobain was an image, and the music he made and the words he sang, as confusing and meaningless as they may seem to be, meant something to the kids of that generation, myself included. Like Jimi Hendrix, he liked to try new things. In Utero is a vastly different piece of work from Nevermind, which is a vastly different piece of work from Bleach. That kind of evolution and progression doesn't have much success in the mainstream music scene for very long, obviously as Nevermind is far more popular than In Utero is.

I believe both Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain would've kept a legendary status, but would be too obscure / different to keep mainstream interest and thus... Well, they end up like Black Sabbath, Alice in Chains, and Johnny Winter. That's my opinion anyway.

Dimebag, if he were alive, well, as much as I hate to say this... it wouldn't mean much at all. His death is making Dunlop and Dean a ton of money, but if he were alive, he'd be just as obscure from a mainstream standpoint as he is now. I mean seriously, ask people on the street if they know Dimebag Darrel. Only way they'd know him is if they were Pantera fans or played guitar.

Actually, Shannon Hoon and Layne Staley got very little attention. My uncle knew that Layne Staley died, and has heard tons of Alice in Chains in the past 15 years, but only actually knew Layne Staley's name a few weeks ago when I told him. It pisses me off because, now that Alice is back, a lot of the kids that are listening to them now don't have a clue who Layne was. A shame.

Shannon Hoon, forget about it. Most people don't know who Blind Melon is. Most people know No Rain, but not Blind Melon, and definitely not Shannon Hoon.

Yes.. I know, I was being sarcastic with my Layne/Shannon comment.

But uhh.. There's no way anyone who is listening to Alice in Chains has no idea who Layne is, dude. It's not like the new AIC has been releasing new material..
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Yes.. I know, I was being sarcastic with my Layne/Shannon comment.

But uhh.. There's no way anyone who is listening to Alice in Chains has no idea who Layne is, dude. It's not like the new AIC has been releasing new material..

Oh. Well what can I say, it's the Internet. Hard to see these things.

And, you'd be surprised.. I've talked to people who have gone to shows where nobody knows the words to any of the songs. But yeah, I would hope everyone eventually figures it out. The newer fans that is.
Last edited by Mud Martian at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by Mud Martian
Oh. Well what can I say, it's the Internet. Hard to see these things.

Well, that's why I put the little angry man smiley at the end of my post. I thought about including Brad Nowell in on my list.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Well, that's why I put the little angry man smiley at the end of my post. I thought about including Brad Nowell in on my list.

Ah, my bad. Sorry, it's 5 AM and I'm beat.
he ll stilll be a ledgend as his guitar skills would increase as time went on, as he was the birth of rock he would have been the end of it instead loads of shread loosers copied his techniques and ruined his style. Remember in woodstock purple haze solo was the little shread but didnt know it was shread.
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
he would quit playing guitar take up violin and have play 123782345782345678234567 and a half concerts a year naked and screw at least one catfish monthly i know i asked him when he was still alive what he would do in october 07
Member #12 of the Can't we forget about punk, emo, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK? group. pm rockon1824 to join

Quote by Taoistic_Beer

HEY GUYS, DANI CALIFORNIA ON MAX VOLUME, 100 % CLEAN. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
i personally think if jimi was still alive today, his music wouldnt have made a bigger impact to the world. and if he we're still alive i think he'd be like santana, kinda the respected famous, not "omg brad pitt" famous

anyone know what i mean
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by CowboyUp
I wouldn't care. I don't like Hendrix.

go away! lol
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
He would have made a pile of shit records IMO, one of the reasons he's considered such a legend is that he died before he could turn shit and only left his good records behind.

Or he could have not, the possibilities are teh endlesszorz.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by spider666
then what do you pit dwellers think he would have to say about today's music scene?

"Excuse me while I kiss this gun.."
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Page 1 of 2