^ suggestions? and also wat pedal should i pair with it for all out distortion?

thanks
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Wherabouts are you and how much do you have to spend?

You could probably get a Crate V8 Palomino or a Peavey Valveking Royal 8. Either of those with some kind of pedal (Metal Muff, perhaps?) would get the sort of tone you're after.
in australia. peavey royal 8 costs around $500 aussie dollars. so ye something around that price hopefully cheaper
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Damn, that's expensive... 0.o

Well, you could try an Epiphone Valve Jr. with a Metal Muff and an EQ pedal. That should come in at a nice price. And the Valve Jr. is a nice amp. Though, if you can afford it, I suggest you look at the head and VJ cab instead, because it has a larger and nicer speaker in it.
ye all guitar gear in australia is a rip off, thats why i try in shops and buy from ebay.

how will a line 6 uber metal sound through a tube amp?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
is the epiphone valve special any good? the normal one seems boring cos its only got 1 knob and no standby, ye sorry im a noob with tube amps.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
It's good, yes, because you get a master volume control and an EQ, as well as the standby swtich. But you'll still need a pedal for metal, regardless of which of the Epis you get. The Royal 8 or ValBee might be able to manage lighter stuff on their own, but for anything particularly heavy it's the same case.
ye i either play full on heavy or super clean. nothing in between, maybe a bit of 80's metal but dats about it.

the 5 watts will be alrite for bedroom playing and recording ye? i'll see about the metal muff.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
5 watts will be plenty for both. Up until a week or so ago, I owned a VJ and I couldn't get it up past 9 o'clock on the volume without my parents yelling at me
Honestly, just get a vox calvetronix, or a micro cube.

The real 5w metal tube combo's cost much more than your budget allows. And the Uber metal is pretty decent.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
lol my parents dont mind me playing loud, its just the neighbours.

is there any point in gettin a high gain tube amp wen im goin to be using a pedal through it? will it sound muddy?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Reincaster
Honestly, just get a vox calvetronix, or a micro cube.

The real 5w metal tube combo's cost much more than your budget allows. And the Uber metal is pretty decent.

valvetronix costs more than a 5w real tube amp. i just did some research and the valbee and epi valve special are all around the $350 mark, which is way cheaper than i thought it would be.

so the uber metal will sound alrite through a tube amp? i just wanna know if i should get my uber metal fixed or just get a new pedal cos its a very long drive to the shop which fixes pedals. if the uber metal is really worth keeping then i'll probably go get it fixed
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
It should do. I've never played one, so I couldn't say. But it really depends...how much would it cost you to have it repaired? It might be easier to just get a new pedal altogether...
i rang the shop and he said he'll have to take a look at it to see how much it'll cost but i really dont wanna drive down and expect a $50+ bill wen i could get a metal muff for around $100
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
It might be worth getting the Metal Muff, then. I've heard that it's better than the Line 6, so that might be something to go by. But I'm not going to tell you which you should go for because metal isn't my sort of thing, and I'd hate to advise you on the wrong product

Edit: You can find some demos of the Metal Muff here.
Last edited by Denthúl at Oct 4, 2007,
ye i'll see about the pedal thing. still not sure about the amp though.

thanks alot denthul
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
You can get the 30 watt for $250.

Even if you get a valve special, you'll end up paying $80 or so for the metal muff., bringing the cost to about $310. If you got the vox, you'd have some effects to play with, a much more versatile amp, should you decide to open up to other types of music, as well as some decent cleans, which you aren't going to get with the valve special.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I really think you should avoid the Valve Junior and go with a Cube, Peavey Transtube or even a Line 6 Spider III if you dig it. The VJ isn't bad, but it lacks bottom end and tightness, making it an only sub par metal amp IMO.
imma change the tubes if i get it. the sovteks that come with the valve special/junior are lower grade ones.

im thinking about the peavey valveking royal 8 now. it seems pretty nice.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by CJRocker
I really think you should avoid the Valve Junior and go with a Cube, Peavey Transtube or even a Line 6 Spider III if you dig it. The VJ isn't bad, but it lacks bottom end and tightness, making it an only sub par metal amp IMO.

The VJ is actualy miles ahead in sound quality and VERSATALITY compaired to the Cube, Peavey transtube and DEFINATELY the Line 6 Spider III. You want bottom end and tightness out of the VJ? get an equaliser pedal and bring up the bass/low end and lower the rest. Tightness? Overdrive pedal to drive the tubes.

And if ever the TS wants to play a different genre, mess around with the equalisers pedal. A plus is that the VJ takes pedals VERY well. It is a very all round amp. Check out the 'VJ thread' too if youre still unsure. I read somewhere there that even without an overdrive pedal, the VJ can do a very good Iron Maiden sound and older Metallica.
If the TS wants a 'modern metal' sound, downtune and get a Metal Muff or other metal pedals. Versatality is the VJ's middle name

Oh and about a sub par speaker, buy the VJ head and make a custom cab with quality speakers. That would a fraction of say... Mesa Traditional Cab or Marshall vintage, yet the quality is there.

Good luck to thread starter on amp choice.

Ps - stay away from Line 6 Spider amps. seriously...
KsE

You know they rock.
thanks alot de.sandman!

ye i noe to stay away from mg's and spiders lol. how will the sansamp gt-2 sound through a tube amp? i'm still trying to make my mind up about a distortion pedal.

i cant afford a head and cab so im gona get a combo. i might just replace the speakers and tubes. if i get the valve junior or valve special.

im deciding between the royal 8 and the epi valves
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Hey Macaroni, if your from Australia a better place to ask would be here:
http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/
You will find that there are people there with a lot of knowledge, especially when it comes to aussie stuff as it is an aussie website.
I know that Duane Ledford has recently finished making 1watt tube amps that are being sold in a kit for $200AUD, I think soonish once he gets through the initial orders he will premake some to sell, and you could always talk to him personally. There is also a very good Aussie pedal maker, MI Audio, could be a decent place to look for pedals as well, some of their stuff is very expensive cos their a boutique builder, but some of it is quite reasonably priced. You will be able to find mroe info on the above forum.

And also, the Valve Junior is good, that and the Crate V8 (but that is about double the price). There probs the only amps available that aren't worth a gizzilion dollars. And in case you didnt know, Billy Hydes sells the epiphone range of amps under the legacy brand (often at cheaper prices too)
Crate:
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=485
Legacy's:
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=2315
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=2316
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=viewbrand&id=Legacy

Umm, not too sure about distortion pedals, something like this maybe..
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=278
I'm not sure, I'm not a metal type person and havent really used many distortion pedals, depending on the amp you might be able to drive it pretty hard with an overdrive pedal...

Oh, and in terms of sound, the epiphones/legacy's will sound much betetr if you plug them into an external 1x12 or 2x12 speaker cab. But this would end up being kidna expensive unless oyu have your own cab allready or are prepared to make one. Most of the cheap cabs are crab, but you still might be better off... The little 8incher in the VJ is small and cheap... you know how it is..

But either way the Epiphone or the Crate would be way better than a Cube, I mean theyre good, but.... not good compared to a good valve amp
thanks johnos,
i'll try the aussie site. about the cabs, i want a quiet amp so i cant really use a 12 inch cab, and its also a bit out of my budget.

i might go billy hyde some time next week to try some of the small tube amps out. oh and the pedal in the link isn't the type of distortion im looking for but thanks anyways.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
If you do go for the VJ get the head not the combo that thing does not sound good.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
they sound good, just better with a cab, and you can get quiet 12inchers. but if its outside of your budget that doesnt help much, lol.

Also I found this. It's 5watts, its got a good speaker... But theres a slightl problem with it... See if you can figure out what the problem is..
http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4884.htm
holy sweet jesus. i could get a friggen 30 watt tube combo with that money lol

i really dont think i can afford the head and the cab.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
macaroni, for best low watt high gain combo you can try the Laney LC15. You can fetch one on ebay for less than £150. Get the one without the reverb it's supposed to be better.

Edit: and Johnos, the Lionheart is aimed at the same market as Cornford Harlequin, Conell Romany, Marshall 18W etc. In that respect the price is not that unreasonable.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Last edited by KazVH100R at Oct 5, 2007,
i think it'll be too loud for bedroom playing
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
5W and 15W are not that different volume wise. If 15W is too loud then 5 would be too. The LC15 has a master volume and gain control so it still sounds good at home. Believe me if you think you can drive the VJ into overdrive without a pedal at bedroom volume you're mistaken. It stayed clean for much longer than I thought. If using a pedal to achieve overdrive it's the same as using preamp gain anyways.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Quote by de.sandman

The VJ is actualy miles ahead in sound quality and VERSATALITY compaired to the Cube, Peavey transtube and DEFINATELY the Line 6 Spider III. You want bottom end and tightness out of the VJ? get an equaliser pedal and bring up the bass/low end and lower the rest. Tightness? Overdrive pedal to drive the tubes.

And if ever the TS wants to play a different genre, mess around with the equalisers pedal. A plus is that the VJ takes pedals VERY well. It is a very all round amp. Check out the 'VJ thread' too if youre still unsure. I read somewhere there that even without an overdrive pedal, the VJ can do a very good Iron Maiden sound and older Metallica.
If the TS wants a 'modern metal' sound, downtune and get a Metal Muff or other metal pedals. Versatality is the VJ's middle name

Oh and about a sub par speaker, buy the VJ head and make a custom cab with quality speakers. That would a fraction of say... Mesa Traditional Cab or Marshall vintage, yet the quality is there.

Good luck to thread starter on amp choice.

Ps - stay away from Line 6 Spider amps. seriously...

I didn't say "RUN OUT AND BUY A SPIDER III YOU FOOL ITS THE ONLY AMP". If he tries it and happens to like it, go for it. Because you don't like it doesn't mean its crap. And I think half the people on here just say what the last person said, even if they haven't used the gear.

I never said the VJ had a sup par speaker. I said for metal, its a sup par amp. Sure you can get an EQ and over drive pedal, $150+ later... And let me tell, the most it can do cranked is Van Halen 1 type tone. I can't hit early Metallica or Maiden without my TS9. It will stand by what I say about it not being the tightest amp in creation. Its a blues/rock amp, not metal amp. It is versatile, but "buy" the time you get the pedals to do so, you've got more money into it, and could of bought a more versatile amp.

And FYI, I use a 1970s Traynor cab with Eminence and Electro Harmonix V30 copies. I don't think its the speakers as it made my Spider II sound half decent with some tweaking.
Quote by CJRocker
I didn't say "RUN OUT AND BUY A SPIDER III YOU FOOL ITS THE ONLY AMP". If he tries it and happens to like it, go for it. Because you don't like it doesn't mean its crap. And I think half the people on here just say what the last person said, even if they haven't used the gear.

I never said the VJ had a sup par speaker. I said for metal, its a sup par amp. Sure you can get an EQ and over drive pedal, $150+ later... And let me tell, the most it can do cranked is Van Halen 1 type tone. I can't hit early Metallica or Maiden without my TS9. It will stand by what I say about it not being the tightest amp in creation. Its a blues/rock amp, not metal amp. It is versatile, but "buy" the time you get the pedals to do so, you've got more money into it, and could of bought a more versatile amp.

And FYI, I use a 1970s Traynor cab with Eminence and Electro Harmonix V30 copies. I don't think its the speakers as it made my Spider II sound half decent with some tweaking.

Although I far prefer the Valve Junior as an amp to anything else in the pricerange without valves, I gotta agree. At 3/4 volume, with an OD pedal at half level and max gain, also a bit of EQ'ing, I got Motley Crue out of it, at band volumes - my bandmate was using a 65w SS amp at 1/2 and I was louder and sounded better in the mix

With high gain pickups like EMG's, with the amp cranked and boosted considerably by an OD and EQ'd a tad, it'll get modern-ish metal. But you're gonna struggle to get anything harder than Van Halen/Motley Crue out of it, it's voiced vintage and it got to JCM800 tone at my band performance. It sounded absolutely stunning, don't get me wrong, and now the speaker's broken in (the stock take about 6 months ) it's a very very good tone.

Just don't underestimate volume. It's hella loud.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by CJRocker

Im not implying that you'd want him to buy a Spider III and forget the rest, but then again I stand by my word the Spider III is inferior compared to the VJ. To back me up, i have a friend who had a Spider III and i borrowed it from him for a good 3 months when i was amp-less. And he's got a VJ too. So comparison is easy to make between those two amps.

The TS didnt mention whether he wanted a 'modern metal' sound or 'classic metal' sound. If so that he'd want a Modern sound, then id agree that the VJ wont be as capable as other amps on its own. But if the OD doesnt drive it enough, then a Metal pedal. That can deffinately get him the modern metal sound compared to the OD.
KsE

You know they rock.
im gona use a distortion pedal with it if i do get a tube amp. and i play modern metal, stuff like machine head, arch enemy and something like master of puppets metallica, and some maiden.

how's the valveking royal 8 with a pedal for metal?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by de.sandman
Im not implying that you'd want him to buy a Spider III and forget the rest, but then again I stand by my word the Spider III is inferior compared to the VJ. To back me up, i have a friend who had a Spider III and i borrowed it from him for a good 3 months when i was amp-less. And he's got a VJ too. So comparison is easy to make between those two amps.

The TS didnt mention whether he wanted a 'modern metal' sound or 'classic metal' sound. If so that he'd want a Modern sound, then id agree that the VJ wont be as capable as other amps on its own. But if the OD doesnt drive it enough, then a Metal pedal. That can deffinately get him the modern metal sound compared to the OD.

Alright, you stand by my opinion and you stand by yours. I think the VJ, tone wise, is a bit better, though I think the Spider III does more. Its all cool

Quote by CJRocker
Alright, I stand by my opinion and you stand by yours. I think the VJ, tone wise, is a bit better, though I think the Spider III does more. Its all cool

When forum discussions actualy have a happy ending.

To the TS, try out the Ibanez Valbee too. Its said to be a high gain lil tube combo. I have my doubts, but try it out. Basically just try all the amps in the darn shop! haha. Dont know anything about how the Royal 8 sounds like though. Sorry
KsE

You know they rock.