I was looking to see if anyone had settings that Slayer use for their Marshall amps, particularly settings that would be compatible with an MG100DFX, I was thinking about getting one and just want to see if there are any sites that deal with Marshall settings for bands or all amps.
Do NOT buy a marshall MG for one, there are tones of amps better for the price.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
do NOT get an MG!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
I think they scoop their mids and play with bass and treble full out. At least I do on my JCM 800 and that sounds allright with the right effects.
Do not buy an MG though, Kerry and Jeff both use JCM 800's.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Just don't get a MG- it is a practise amp, and should stay as a practice amp
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by BeëlzeM
I think they scoop their mids and play with bass and treble full out. At least I do on my JCM 800 and that sounds allright with the right effects.

Actually its totally the opposite. Their mids are boosted.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Just thought I'd mention I have an Boss OD-20 if that helps anywhere.

Looked up JCM800's and they don't have any overdrive/distortion effects on them so how would I get the Slayer type distortion or any other?
^

marshall jcm800s are almost always boosted using an OD or distortion pedal
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by otester
Just thought I'd mention I have an Boss OD-20 if that helps anywhere.

Looked up JCM800's and they don't have any overdrive/distortion effects on them so how would I get the Slayer type distortion or any other?

Every amp in the universe made in the past 45 years or more has distortion. Its "gain" or "over drive", like the JCM800. You can boost with a pedal, but a lot of guys like onboard distortion. That said, for an amp like the JCM800 to sound its best, you generally have to take it to ten, which, is of course, extremely loud

By the way, if you like the MG buy it, but at least buy used as they are over priced new. However, putting distortion pedals in front of a solid state amp = generally crap sounding.
dont buy the mg, i did for my first amp, and even i noticed it sounded like crap about a month after i bought it, just wait more time and save up more, its tough but well worth the wait
Quote by otester

The tubes overdrive, and ofcourse, they are boosted with effects.

Kerry and Jeff use the JCM 800 2203, which has one channel without a gain-control. I have a 2205, which has a seperate gain-control which gives me a decent gain for metal... though I boost it with a modded SD-1 and an MXR EQ.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Slayer use an EQ with the mids boosted to drive the preamp harder. No scooping, anti-scooped actually. Make your EQ bad look like a big frowny face.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Just took a look at the pricing and it's insane.

I was planning on around £200, can I get Slayer out of an MG100DFX?

Btw I am a noob (7 years on and off) and amp would be just for playing at home etc.
Quote by otester
Just took a look at the pricing and it's insane.

I was planning on around £200, can I get Slayer out of an MG100DFX?

Btw I am a noob (7 years on and off) and amp would be just for playing at home etc.

All you get out of an MG is crap...if you have a £200 max budget and want to make the most of your money then you probably want a Roland Cube 60.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-cube-60/12669
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you cant get a slayer tone with an MG... or any other tones for that matter... the only tone you'd be able to mimic is another band that uses mg... but I wouldnt be able to listen to them...

I mean i know this doesnt really answer your question, but in all honesty, youd be better with a banjo and a bunch of bees inside of it...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by BeëlzeM

Jeff and Kerry actually have their mids pretty much maxed out, along with an EQ pedal with a very extreme "frown" shape. Their tone is pure mids.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by otester

You sir have things to learn.
and for your needs, Roland Cube 60 is what you're looking for.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by otester

Marshall JCM800....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gMSRAbBNjdg&mode=related&search=

grnted it's boosted with an SD1, but that's just tightening the sound up a little, it's not adding much gain.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Jeff and Kerry actually have their mids pretty much maxed out, along with an EQ pedal with a very extreme "frown" shape.

I dont get what you mean by frown. If you meant like, eyebrows kinda frown, wouldnt that mean scooping your mids? something like \/ shape on the EQ pedal.
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
I dont get what you mean by frown. If you meant like, eyebrows kinda frown, wouldnt that mean scooping your mids? something like \/ shape on the EQ pedal.

On a graphic EQ, a frown would have the mids at the top and the lows and highs further down.

On the mouth, the middle part is the highest up. Get it now?

Edit -

Like so. This is just an example, of course, but it's what I'm talking about.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Oct 4, 2007,
ah ok, is that an EQ kinda term?
Not really, just a basic description of the shape. A lot of people think of Slayer as having a scooped tone, which would be the exact opposite of a frown, but they really don't.
Quote by dudetheman

init
take a luk the peavey bandit 112 or a vox ad50vt or try a Laney - their great amps but a bit expensive n ud prob need a pedal for slaher tone dou. iv been lukin for an amp for around £200 aswell n these are wat im considering mostly. i agree dont get an mg they are 'good' amps but massively overpriced ud be better of gettin summit in the AVT series but a bit quieter - if u want loads of onboard effects DONT. iv got a spider n id enjoy murdering it if i needed to sell it to buy summit better.
yea slayer use summit like B-5 M-9 T-6 they change minorly across songe but tend to follow that pattern
Make it thunder!
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by STABxYOU
Slayer use an EQ with the mids boosted to drive the preamp harder. No scooping, anti-scooped actually. Make your EQ bad look like a big frowny face.

This man is correct. I read this in a recent Guitar World article about his new amp. Kerry even said it looks like a frowny face lol.
Be cool.
I love how every time a thread has "Marshall amp" in the title, it's referring to an MG or AVT. Whenever people are talking about an actual Marshall, they always tell what model it is.