So I was reading for class and found this to be something worth sharing

Yeah, so anyway, I was reading for my Biblical Backgrounds class, and I was reading a section on ancient Syrian mystery cults and there traditions and found this hilarious.

this is quoted directly from Everett Ferguson's Backgrounds Of Early Christianity on page 281.

"Lucian's On the Syrian Goddess 51 tells how men became Galli (priests for those who don't know). While the pipes were wailing and the men were dancing, frenzy seized many of them. The man who was seized stripped off his clothes, grabbed a sword, and castrated himself. He ran through the city and threw what was cut off into any house he chose and took from the house women's apparel. Thereafter he belonged to the goddess and wore woman's clothes"

Just seemed interesting to me, lol. Especially throwing your nads through someones window.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Damn. And here I thought I was original.

I know right. How do you top that? Might sig something in there too. not sure...
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
I just made a post similar to this in the religion thread...

Imagine how Christianity must have stood in such stark contrast to the religious ideology of the day.

Quote by denizenz

Christianity was very revolutionary. So much so that it's a wonder we have it at all. However, it wasn't started by Jesus or even close to that time frame. It was begun in a pagan era in the heart of pagan Mesopotamia. The ideology of Abraham and later the transcriptions by Moses would have been not only completely against the cultural norm, but also widely refuted by the not so peace loving natives. Yet another reason that either The Bible a) is the work of revolutionary human literary and philosophical genius or b) God breathed.

Pfft, that's not interesting. You don't post everything you learn in school and think everyone else cares, or I would have posted the research I'm doing on a talking parrot.

He can fucking talk! does that make it interesting though? no...
Perhaps that is part of the reason why Christianity had so many "regulations" and laws. Given the context of other A.N.E. faiths it would make sense. I seriouersly burst out laughing when I read this in class though. There were some extremely strange practices in A.N.E. religions. Some of the Greek mystery cults were pretty messed up too.

EDIT: To MistressIbanez, I simply posted it because someone throwing their nads through peoples windows seemed a pretty Pit worthy thing to talk about, given that half the people feel the need to talk about their wanking, butt rashes, or whatever.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by Bloodshed
Perhaps that is part of the reason why Christianity had so many "regulations" and laws. Given the context of other A.N.E. faiths it would make sense. I seriouersly burst out laughing when I read this in class though. There were some extremely strange practices in A.N.E. religions. Some of the Greek mystery cults were pretty messed up too.

That's exactly why Christianity had so many regulations. The nation of Israel is/was to be holy, or set apart, in order to glorify God.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Pfft, that's not interesting. You don't post everything you learn in school and think everyone else cares, or I would have posted the research I'm doing on a talking parrot.

I know whose window I'm going to throw my balls through.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by denizenz
For some reason I always thought you were a chick. My bad then.

A surprising number of people seem to make that mistake, and I have no idea why .
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

the word "nads" made me crack up
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Actually I think you're quite wrong. A guy dancing around, cutting his balls off, running with them through the streets, throwing them through someone's window and taking the women's clothes and wearing them is very interesting.

A talking parrot...of course you're right there, who the hell cares about a talking parrot? Why would you do research on that?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Hey lighten up it's all pretty interesting to me ! so what about that parrot?