I need some help with wiring my new setup. I would do it myself, if i had the knowledge :P

Sound card: M audio 2496

Preamp: Audio Buddy

Microphone: Shure 57

What kind of wires would i need? It would really help if someone had enough time to draw a small scheme to all this.
1. XLR male to XLR female to connect the microphone to the interface/preamp.

2. it looks like you'll need to come out of the preamp with the jack cables into a mixer,
then out of the mixer with RCA to the inputs of the soundcard.

3. then you'll need 2 MIDI cables to connect your keyboard to your computer.

4. set up the routing of your sequencing/audio program so that it reflects the routing
you set with the cables.

hope that is helpful.
MBOX2 - PRO TOOLS LE 7.3.1 - CUBASE SX3 - REASON 4
ATTACK_DECAY_SUSTAIN_RELEASE_
Could i do i this way:

XLR male to XLR female to connect the microphone to the preamp. Then ill use some kind of big jack cable - RCA wire to connect the preamp to my sound card?
why not swap out the preamp for a small mixer...you could get the Yamaha MG 10/2 with usable preamps in it which will give you more XLR inputs and EQ as well as an RCA record out perfect for going into the 2496.

I used to use that setup but now that vista is on my PCs theres no drivers out for that card yet.
Im planning on getting the Mackie firewire interface for Christmas anyways.
Thats not an option, because i just bought all the items and im just not ready to change anything. But the jack - RCA would work right? So its Jack -> two RCA male ? or just Jack - > 1 RCA male?

And i do not need more then two XLR inputs i already got from my preamp.

Thanks
Quote by BrianApocalypse
It's not XLR male to female.

It's XLR female to male.

what I mean is that to interface the microphone and the pre amp,
one would require an XLR microphone lead with both a male and female end.

You could try the RCA/Jack thing, I'm not too sure about it though.
Sounds like you don't really need much help to set it up then.
Cool mate, just wanted to point that out, because people get the ends confused, and this is going to create nightmares in studios.

Male has the three pins, not the protruding part.
Yeah, i know how it could be done, theoretically, but would it work in practice.
Thx for the help.
trial and error.