I'm just wondering if there is a common understanding amongst musicians when discussing chords - common knowledge etc etc.

For example, if someone said play this progression: F C#m Gm.

Would you play it with a barre on the 1st, 4th and 3rd fret or would you play them open?

Whenever I look at tabs on this site, it always appears that an F is never played x03211 - the way I initially learnt it, and C#m is played with the barre on the 4th with an Am sahpe as opposed to xx2120 same applies with Gm.
Are you reelin' in the years?
if they don't specify, play whatever voicing you want, especially if it's a band environment so a bass may be playing the root..
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Which ever is most comfortable... ALot of acoustic pop songs will have them in open position as they're easier to play, most jazz wont use open position chords.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

^ +1

In jazz I never play open chords, but in pop/acoustic/country/folk I play almost all open chords (If I have to play something like Bb I toss a capo on the 3rd fret and play the G chord shape).

If it doesn't say how you are to play the chord it is really up to you to decide which position you'll play it in (because there are tonnes of voicings for each chord).