Fender Twin Reverb II, 105 watts. One of my four O/D tubes is busted, one of the others doesn't light up very brightly. I've never had an amp long enough to have to replace the tubes so I'm ignorant to them. If I'm not mistaken they are 6L6's. Any recommendations on what tubes to replace them with and how many I should replace would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a bluesy/rock player by nature. Playing with some guys right now that are into hard rock and old metal. (no metalcore.) things like sabbath, maiden, megadeth. I really dig Tommy Iomi's sound. My amp now has a really good AC/DC sound to it but I'd like a little richer tone, not so bright, on the over drive.

Also is there anything special that needs to be done when replacing tubes other than just slapping the new ones in there? On a budget too but not the cheapest. I believe you get what you pay for.

Again thanks in advance!
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
i would probably just take it to a store and have someone replace them for you, he'll know what tubes they are, you can ask his recommendation on what kinda to replace them with. And chances are your tube amp runs off class A/B circuitry to you would need to bias the amp after replacing the tubes. If you feel up to it then just do a little research, i believe there is some kinda electrical setup you buy to bias the amp kinda looks like a volt meter with tube connectors flooping off it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Taking it to a store is probably a good idea if you don't want to attempt it yourself. Personally, I would email Bob at Eurotubes.com, and Doug at Dougstubes.com. Bob only sells JJ's, but he has some good info on his site about biasing. He also sells the Weber bias probes, and Eurotubes own simple version. I bought one, and it was very easy to bias my amp with it. http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-video.htm
Dougs sells different types of tubes, and usually likes to recommend a variety of different preamp tubes depending what you're after. Both are excellent to deal with, although I've heard more positive things about Doug's customer service. Bob has always been fair to me though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ok cool. i actually found a tube sticky i've been looking over since i posted this. i will do some research. i also called the local music store (small town here) and he said he has some ruby reds, $40 bucks a pair, and that they are pretty versatile with their tone. thanks for the advice. more is appreciated from anyone who knows this stuff!
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
If you want to get older school metal sounds out of that amp, JJ's might be your best bet. I've dealt with Bob over at Eurotubes, he'll set that amp up nicely. I had a Fender Concert from the same era that I put JJ's in, and it sounded great. Definitely bias it, though. If you're not confident doing that, a tech should do it for you for $25 or so. It's not a big job. Find someone who'll let you watch if you can.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.