Page 1 of 3
My Edwards E-LP-98LTS (Lacquer Taste Series) came in on Monday, courtesy of Ishibashi. Here’s a quick review and some pics.

It was extremely well packaged. There were a couple of knocks on the outside, but they didn’t seem to make it through to the guitar. Enough bubble-wrap that I could start a business selling it.

Anyway, it made it here safely from Japan- 2 days from Japan to England, and then about another 5 days to Northern Ireland (though to be fair there was a weekend in there).

Anyway, basically it’s great. Plays well, and sounds really good. Very resonant unplugged tone too. I tried a gibson les paul classic antique (whatever the heck it's called) about a week or two ago, they were looking almost £1200 ($2400). This. Is. Nicer. For between 1/3-1/2 of the price (more like a quarter of the price if you're japanese... o_O). The only thing the Gibbo had on this Edwards was nicer electronics, and a nicer bridge pickup. Both of which are easily and inexpensively correctable, for much less than the price difference between the two.

It's not just as nice as that badass £1000 ($2000) Tokai relic I tried a week or two ago, but it's darn close. Closer to the Tokai than the Gibson, at any rate.

The Duncans actually sound good- the ‘59 is very nice, great vintage tone, though it does struggle a little when the gain gets well up, while the JB sounds better than I’ve heard in most other guitars. It’s still bright, and way too hot (for this style of guitar), but it’s usable… its problem is it has two settings, “scream” and “scream harder”… I suspect the pickup covers are helping to tame them a little too.
But yeah, I’m in no rush to upgrade. Not to say I couldn’t get better, but it wouldn’t be the best use of my available (and shrinking ) funds.

Just so this doesn’t appear to be a fanboi review, here are some negatives:

- cheapest looking gig bag ever. My £12 stagg jobby looks like a bespoke version compared to it.

- strap buttons are very small. To be honest, I’m a bit wary of playing at home with it strapped on, let alone a gig.

- the tone and volume pots could do with being upgraded.

-the aging is very rudimentary. It looks like they’ve just put orange paint over the binding at the sides, while leaving it as it is on the top (you can kinda see this on the close-up of the neck). I’m biased because I don’t like aging or relicing at all, but this probably wouldn’t fool anyone. Also, from what i hear, if i take the stickers off the humbuckers, they aren't aged underneath, so there's a rectangle of unaged pickup. o_O also the aged binding just looks like it's been painted- and it's only painted at the side, so along the top it's white, and it actually goes along the side of the nut too. o_O
If you ask me, it'd have been cheaper, and looked better, if they didn't bother.

- the setup was good, but the bridge is a bit high on the bass side, and I don’t think they stretched the strings too well, as they didn’t hold tune well for the first day. But it’s fine now. Bending behind the nut whacks it out of tune, but there’s so little room there, it’s not really a useful technique anyway, you can barely bend up a semitone…

- you can see a little of the maple in the cutaway- the binding should have covered that, I thought. You can see it vaguely in one of the pics. Also it’s not the best book matching job (on the veneer) that I’ve ever seen. Not horrible, but not amazing either. It’s definitely off by a millimetre or two.

-I still suck royally at taking pics.

Anyway, obviously none of these are deal breakers, especially when it plays and sounds as good as this, but it’s just to let you know.

Anyway, it’s great, plays really well, appears to be one-piece mahogany back and neck, good quality rosewood (Indian I presume, but very nice Indian rosewood), quality fretwork etc. etc. Sounds very resonant unplugged, and sounds great plugged in. Very versatile, though obviously if you want single coil tones you’re kinda out of luck. But it does most humbucker tones, from clean through to modern, really well. Loses a little tightness for the really modern stuff, but still usable.

I’d buy another one (or at least, a different model, and I probably will before long).

I think I worked out that with postage and customs it came to about £500 ($1000)... If you’re somewhere where there aren’t customs charges, that’d be more like £400 ($800). I know in the UK, it’s excellent value. So, er, yeah. I’m extremely happy. I got to try a second hand Edwards les paul double-cut with p90’s a while back, so I wasn’t buying just as blind as some others were, but if anything, mine is nicer.

Anyway, some pics (yes, my pic-taking technique sucks, I’m a guitarist, not a photographer):

(worst gig-bag ever)

(an arty one for good measure)

(close up)

(you can kinda see the maple not totally covered with the binding. Hard to see, but I tried)

(Dodgy aging, notice how it’s cream on the front and orange on the side)

Seriously. Buy one.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But the main question is - who is Edwards?

Oh, and I'll buy your bubble wrap if you can beat the retail price.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I'm glad you could peel your sister's hands off of your Edwards long enough to take a picture.

Sound clipssssssssssss.

Those stickers on the pickups are... not so attractive . Take em off and take your chances with the aging
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
edwards are a sub company of esp, although they are basically same quality with SDs stock
whered you get this? Ive been looking for edwards all over the place please msg me a link
so ur going to be an LP man now? ok lemme update my log *scribble scribble*

i like this guitar. i like the look, i can see the SD pups. again not ur usual, so im a little befuzzled here. not digging the case too much.

anyhoo, love to hear it playing. congrats, and wow that is a trippy couch.

10 funky points right there.

sorry if this is scattered im out of it, but couldnt resist posting.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/index.htm

and thanks, guys! soundclips not just yet, but hopefully before too long.

And according to the good people over at HC, that binding issue with the maple is vintage correct, so in fact I'm a retard.

EDIT: haha, yeah it's a badass couch. I'm not really for one style of guitar, to be honest, I like most. i wouldnt' say i'm a LP man... i do like it, though. and yeah, the case is like a plastic tescos bag. o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The carpet is way crazier than the couch .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
hey everything in my house is badass.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Beautiful!

Always wanted to try an Edwards out.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
dave, havnt i taught you anything about taking pictures?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
yeah, austin, i stood with my back to the light this time. I think they're marginally better than last time...

and cheers, jin and don
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
why are they such low res? are you using a camera phone?

pics should be kickasss (with 3 s's) like this

Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Nice one Dave!

I'm saving my money for an Edwards with P90s. Either this:
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/ejr80lt.htm
(in tv yellow)

or this:
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/elp85sdp.htm

Which would you recommend. Also what's the difference between the laquer taste and original series?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^^ i have no idea austin. I suspect i just have to learn how to use the thing. It's like 6 megapixel or something, with a zoom and all (not slr though). it's my sister's, so i don't exactly use it much.

^ cheers gabe! i've tried a LTS lp special with 2 p90's, and tunamatic bridge (like the first one you posted, but with 2 pickups and tunamatic bridge, basically). it was extremely sweet. I did like the neck pickup better though, it was just awesome. The bridge was a little twangy, didn't really have the grunt i expected from a p90. I don't expect super-hot, obviously, but this one was almost half-way to a strat or something!

I think the difference between the lacquer taste series and normal series is the LTS has a coat of nitrocellulose over the poly base coat, while the normal series just has two coats of poly (or whatever way they do it... i'm not too well up on guitar finishing... o_O )... nitro has a smoother, not-sticky feel, and supposedly lets the wood resonate better too (though with poly underneath, it's debatable if it's just for show).

if they would bring out one like the one i tried but with a wraparound bridge, that'd be the one i'd suggest. However, at the minute they don't, and i'm not 100% certain which way I'd go there. I'm kinda in a similar dilemma, the LP custom version of the second one you posted looks badass, but isn't in the LTS series, so I'm not certain what to do... problem is i haven't tried any non-LTS ones... i hear they aren't just as nice, but obviously i don't know for sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Adjust the focus .
Quote by utsapp89
^^ i think it has autofocus or something... i dunno.

^ yeah, i don't like the looks of those either, plus when i inquired about them, i was told they were discontinued and it'd be a 4 month wait for a custom order.

so, yeah. I dunno what to say... you could chance the non-LTS one, or you could wait to see if they introduce the one i'm talking about. Or if no neck pickup doesn't annoy you, go with the single pickup one.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
After all it woill tkae me a few months to save up to it anyway...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah, if you're taking an up close picture, auto focus won't do much for you .
Quote by utsapp89
^^ yeah, gabe. might as well wait and see what they release then...

^ i have no idea... i'm already way out of my depth even pressing the darn button on it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My god, that guitar looks fookin badass. Took your time to upload the pics eh?

Also, if you took those photos with a 6 mega pixel camera.... j00 fail. Use the flash if you have to, or turn on the lights so the camera can focus better.

What kind of music you gonna play with this beast?
Last edited by Mwoit at Oct 5, 2007,
that looks absolutely top notch, sealed the deal on me getting that edwards flying v fo sho, but so many money draining times in the way me and my gf 3 year anniversary, christmas, her birthday, valentines day. god damn relationships.

Also that couch looks unbelievably comfortable, despite it looking like the seats that will be used in the next mercedes s class
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^^ wtf? i thought i replied to you already, mwoit?

anyway, assuming it's not a warp in the space-time continuum, i'll be playing mainly classic and hard rock, and a little blues and jazz. probably leave my legra, ibanez and kramer for the heavier stuff. though the heavy stuff sounds pretty decent on this too.

and yeah, epic phail with the camera.

^ storm: haha, yeah, it's a nice couch. cold though, especially since our weather always sucks. as i said in your thread, i can't say for sure that eddie v will be as nice as it's not lacquer taste series (and even anyway, each guitar will be slightly different), but hopefully it is.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ is it leather? i hate falling asleep on leather sofas, then you have to peel your face off of it, spend the rest of the day double-checking that your cheek isn't still attached to it
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yeah. my dad's idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dave i hate you so much right now, not only because you own an edwards, but you are also giving away the secret of edwards and companies of that stature. I thought i only knew about edwards
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/eex105e.htm

Me Wanty!

It costs £442 but not sure about shipping. How much do you reckon it'll cost to get it in white? Reckon I could get it with shipping for less than £600, if so its within my budget.

And yeah, the japanese writing makes that site very confusing. I have no idea how to contact them. Must ... find .. a way ....

Oh yeah, That Les Pual is Beautiful
finally pics!

it's awesome Dave, i'm not a fan of the color, but it still looks damn good.

congrats
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Thats nice!I hear ESP is stopping the importing of their Japan only guitars.So your lucky you got this.
everytime i come to a decision on what i'm going to buy next, something else amazing pops out of nowhere and i hate being a starving college student/club musician.

nice guitar!
Just want you to know that I love you Dave and thanks for the review. Was looking forward to it and as i expected the guitar delivered.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
That guitar looks...Legendary!

Congrats hombre
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I almost bought an Ibanez Prestiege a few weeks back, I'm kinda glad I didn't.

I was just looking through the edwards series and came across this.
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/ecy155ctm.htm

In natural, It looks absolutly amazing! Incredibly cheap too.. 'round £600 converted (if that is Japanese Yen)

So, would you say that's a good buy? It looks pretty great, although looks can be deceiving... Last thing I need is a poor quality axe that dissapoints with a crappy Floyd that fails after a bit of Trem wankage...

-Paul
Quote by SublimeGuitar
dave i hate you so much right now, not only because you own an edwards, but you are also giving away the secret of edwards and companies of that stature. I thought i only knew about edwards

haha, i only found out in the past few months, from HC and similar places.

Quote by littlemurph7976
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/eex105e.htm

Me Wanty!

It costs £442 but not sure about shipping. How much do you reckon it'll cost to get it in white? Reckon I could get it with shipping for less than £600, if so its within my budget.

And yeah, the japanese writing makes that site very confusing. I have no idea how to contact them. Must ... find .. a way ....

Oh yeah, That Les Pual is Beautiful

i think i worked out it'd be around £500 including postage and customs. Though I haven't been charged for customs yet, so I can't say for sure.

Postage is around £65 (16,000 yen) for it with a soft case.

Customs is supposedly 21% (roughly) of the purchase price + potage.

To contact them, click http://www.ishibashi-music.com/ and email with "International Question" as the subject- and don't email from hotmail, from what i hear they don't answer to hotmail addresses.

^ that eddie looks good on paper, but i haven't tried it- i'd consider it myself if it didn't have abalone everywhere. bear in mind, postage will be at least £65 (more if it comes with a hard case), and you have to add around one-fifth onto the final price for customs.

price is around $1000 for you americans, though you might not have to pay customs in the US, and have a slightly cheaper postage charge, which'd bring it down to around $800. At least that's what the guys on HC say- though i think an odd unlucky american has been caught for customs. I don't think it's as much as UK/Europe customs, though.

i had heard that ikebi were stopping exports of edwards... not too sure if that's only to the USA, and/or whether ishibashi will follow suit. I'll be pissed if they do, there are another several I'd like, and I don't have enough money for all of them at the moment!

Thanks for all the kind words too, guys, I appreciate it. I think I answered most of the questions there- if I didn't, just ask again!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, basically enough of it is english to get by, and there's an english page. and if you email them to the correct address, they speak english. and yeah, that v's very nice, i already have a floyd V, though.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 3