Anybody know where I can find any? I got one dirt cheap, so I was wondering if there was any way to improve the sound other than replacing tubes.
I tried to find a schematic, but nothing came up in my search. I'd be able to help you some more if you could find one, maybe by emailing Epi?
Finally got the schematic

Sent it off to Kerry awhile ago, but I thought I'd stick it here to see if anyone else has any ideas.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7enrk0mmtmz

And, I am comfortable soldering & working within a tube amp. May as well make sure thats out there.

I mainly play higher gain stuff, metal & hard rock, but I also play bluesy stuff and use cleans a lot. I have a few pedals (and a few more on the way) but I would like to get the distortion to at least a usable sound, and with a bit more gain. A marshall like tone would be nice too.
Last edited by Cofflecakes at Oct 9, 2007,
How does the So-Cal sound? Ive been thinking about getting one after I get rid of this Vox. Can it do 80's Rock tones? The like of Poison, Autograph etc etc? Seems to be more for metal but I dont know until I can get my hawns on one.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by -heartbreaker-
its not for metal^

Its not? It looks like its a metal amp... Good News then!! *franticly searches youtube for videos*

PSN ID: ArranP
lol it's really not a metal amp. The tone isn't the greatest, but it's the best for the price over here. The cleans are okay, and the overdrive sounds alright, but there isn't much gain available.

I got it for very cheap, $350 AUD cause the epiphone logo was missing the E and it didn't come with a kettle lead. And scratches ON THE BOTTOM.

I really just needed a little extra volume, and it's loud enough, but I figure I want it to be okay stand alone.
Last edited by Cofflecakes at Oct 10, 2007,
I believe its supposed to be like a Soldano SLO100, though I haven't played an So Cal to confirm its close. I would say its more like a Peavey Windsor or something though judging by what I've heard.
Quote by CJRocker
I believe its supposed to be like a Soldano SLO100, though I haven't played an So Cal to confirm its close. I would say its more like a Peavey Windsor or something though judging by what I've heard.

A peavey windsor would have cost me the same as a new DSL50 :S Thank god for the so cal...

But yeah, does anyone else have any suggestions?
It seems to me that the obvious (and not too difficult mods) would be the removal of the stock reverb and the addition of an effects loop.

Quote by CJRocker
I believe its supposed to be like a Soldano SLO100, though I haven't played an So Cal to confirm its close.

No, they're too completely different animals. The So Cal struck me as sounding similar to the mid 70's Marshall JMP's, but quite a bit more bland if that makes any sense (which is expected in this price category). It did respond better than expected to pedals of all sorts.

The connection between the So Cal and Soldano is Mike Soldano was paid a healthy sum of money to do the PCB layout for the So Cal (and Epiphone probably sold a thousand of them just by putting his name on the PCB).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
It seems to me that the obvious (and not too difficult mods) would be the removal of the stock reverb and the addition of an effects loop.

First thing I did to it was kill the reverb, I'm doing the effects loop over the weekend when a friend brings his Legacy Hammerhead 50 around.

Today this stuff is going down:

Change C8 from a 22uF 35v electrolyte capacitor to a 1uF-3.3uF 35v+ capacitor.
Lower R2 from 47K 1W to 22K or 10K 1W.
Make C2 and C12 Mallory 150 Series .022uF capacitors.
Lower R11 from 470K 1W to 100K 1W.

So, any other suggestions? Oh, got the pre-amp tubes for it today, still trying to decide on power tubes.
Quote by Cofflecakes
A peavey windsor would have cost me the same as a new DSL50 :S Thank god for the so cal...

But yeah, does anyone else have any suggestions?

What? Where are you getting prices from? I see a DSL50 for $1699 and a Windsor for $995...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
My local store wont take any cash off the windsor, I've tried

Although maybe its with the cab? I'm not sure, all I know is I called up last week, got told 1,600 for the windsor, $1,550 for the DSL
Quote by Cofflecakes
My local store wont take any cash off the windsor, I've tried

Although maybe its with the cab? I'm not sure, all I know is I called up last week, got told 1,600 for the windsor, $1,550 for the DSL

Yeah, that sounds about the right price for the head + cabinet. I'm so bummed I missed out on a DSL401 for $600 that had just been retubed
Where did you get your mod list from?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Kerry of course I couldn't find anything on the net other than the usual "new tubes, re-bias" so he sent me that so far, and he's going to send me some other stuff later.

Sounds like you missed a good deal on that. I wanted a DSL401 for ages, cause I got sick of trying to get my head & cab to practice, but theres just too many things I'd wanna do to it first. By the time I change all the tubes & speaker, it was easier to build a 1x12.
Quote by Cofflecakes
Kerry of course I couldn't find anything on the net other than the usual "new tubes, re-bias" so he sent me that so far, and he's going to send me some other stuff later.

Sounds like you missed a good deal on that. I wanted a DSL401 for ages, cause I got sick of trying to get my head & cab to practice, but theres just too many things I'd wanna do to it first. By the time I change all the tubes & speaker, it was easier to build a 1x12.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I think I can probably order a kit amp from the US and build a nice little 1x12" for it than I can buy a comparable amp.
Have you considered taking the schem over to any of the amp-related forums and seeing what they can come up with? Kerry is certainly a knowledgeable dude, but I know some of the guys he learnt off frequently visit the other forums
Quote by the_random_hero
Yeah, I know the feeling. I think I can probably order a kit amp from the US and build a nice little 1x12" for it than I can buy a comparable amp.
Have you considered taking the schem over to any of the amp-related forums and seeing what they can come up with? Kerry is certainly a knowledgeable dude, but I know some of the guys he learnt off frequently visit the other forums

I'm not signed up to anything else but melband :S

Any places you can reccomend?
Quote by Cofflecakes
I'm not signed up to anything else but melband :S

Any places you can reccomend?

You can try www.ax84.com
Quote by Cofflecakes
First thing I did to it was kill the reverb, I'm doing the effects loop over the weekend when a friend brings his Legacy Hammerhead 50 around.

How did this work out?
Hmm you really like messing with amps ay,
selling your modded valve jnr set up and getting a so cal...
I have multiple valve juniors

The So Cal is long gone though, but it came up pretty nice. Couldn't get as much useable gain as I'd have liked though.

TBH, buying a So Cal 50, modding it & retubing is a waste of money & time. The Randall RH50T was a heaps better amp, and it would have cost less.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
Finally got the schematic

Sent it off to Kerry awhile ago, but I thought I'd stick it here to see if anyone else has any ideas.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7enrk0mmtmz

And, I am comfortable soldering & working within a tube amp. May as well make sure thats out there.

I mainly play higher gain stuff, metal & hard rock, but I also play bluesy stuff and use cleans a lot. I have a few pedals (and a few more on the way) but I would like to get the distortion to at least a usable sound, and with a bit more gain. A marshall like tone would be nice too.

Hello from Spain

I need the EPIPHONE SO CAL 50 schematic.

Please, someone can send the schematic.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by baratijas at Jun 6, 2008,
Hi folks,

first post here, after finding the site through a link for so cal 50 mods...

I bought one of these amps a few months back , well its branded a grainger (here in Europe, although ther Epiphone brand is also available). However, having opened up the amp, not only are the controls etc exactly the same, but the pcb is also the same but has had parts of the designed by mike soldano and eipphone so cal 50, gibson musical instruments etc scratched off...

Anyway, I decided I would mod this amp when the warranty period was up and was part of the reason I bought it... I paid equivalent of $200.00 new, which in UK would not buy me the transformer set, let alone the choke, reverb pan and reverb driver and the tubes../ the two EH power tubes would cost me equivalent of $36 - £40.00 at trade. I have got another one on way now for same price (my mate got one of the cabs too for $120.00 - I paid $200.00 for my cab ), so its time to seek improvements...

So, I was planning to mod the amp, hence the search. I acquired the schematic from Gibson (the Jpanese site always seem to respond quicker, with European in second place and the U.S. last)

Having had a browse, there are several things I plan to do... although I was originally going to do a few smaller mods for more gain and less boomy bass, I have decided to go the whole hog and remove the pcb, in order to make several more involved mods... as follows:

Fixed to cathode bias switching...

I am considering adding a pair of EL84 in cathode bias and also possibly a valve rectifier (switchable - but of course would need to switch bias supply also...)
The 6.3volts heater only supplies the two EL34's so should be adequate for the EL84's and there is a 5v 2A heater supply for the valve rectifier that is unused and just terminated at the board ( I assume they used the same PT for other amps)...

With regard the preamp stage, we see up to input of second gain stage, it is pretty standard marshall style, with exception of the 5uF bypass cap on cathode.

The first things that sprung to mind where that there is no by pass cap on the third gain stage (already experimenting with different values here ) I think a pair of switches will be going on front panel for the 2nd and 3rd stage by pass cap different values... The on off on dp switcxhes from China make it cheap and fun to do - only same ones that sell for much more here...

The second was the 22uF cap on the second stage. I have decided I will probably put a smaller value here, to try and tame the muddy or flappy bass...

Also, in combination with this, I will probably change the de-coupling cap from the second stage anode from a 22nF to a 10nF for the same reasons/ goal

Again, between the second and third stage is the Marshall style 470, 470 R and C, but there is also a second 470K resistor here, which will also attenuate the signal, reducing disssstortion generation in the next stage, so this is another candidate for experimentation.

I have a couple of ideas about the contour and tone control networks as well, but will get to that later....

Anyway, I see the schematic has been posted, so no need to do that...

Has anyone had any success with mods? After all, there are four gain stages here, a lot of gain to be tapped... pcb is a soldano design after all

anyway, hopefully the thread still has some life left in it...

Enjoy and greetings from UK
Last edited by male33lancs at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by male33lancs
Has anyone had any success with mods? After all, there are four gain stages here, a lot of gain to be tapped... pcb is a soldano design after all.

I have had some luck with modding this amp and I will be putting up some sound clips soon.

I basically have had to change almost everything. I don't exactly know what Soldano was gong for, I found the amps tone unusable when I first got it. Now it has something that is usable.

I replaced the OT with a Mercury Magnetics and I can now use just about any power tube in it.
Last edited by jctaudiodesigns at Oct 12, 2008,
Anyone got a version of the schematic that's not jpegged to unreadable-ness? I can't actually make out the component numbers, it's so pixelated. I got it from the 2nd link posted on this thread (the 1st one has gone 404 or whatever)

Once I can actually read the schematic I can get somewhere!

Any news on the sounds people are getting from their mods?
on the theory that this thing is a relation to a real Soldano, I put the schematics for the SOCAL and a SLO100 side by side, stared at 'em for a few minutes, and decided to change resistor R10 from 470K/1W to 1M/1W. yeah, that was the ticket alright, V1 now hits V2 noticeably harder. Put a big smile on my face.