if you had a music store, where you would charge a monthly subscription fee, say $30, and anyone could come in a trade a cd they brought in for another in the store without paying for it, just "trading it" ... would that be illegal?
LISTEN:
A Myspace introduction to:

LEARN:
It's not always rainbows and butterflies,
It's compromise that moves us along. -- Maroon 5
I can't see why it would be?

But im no expert.
hendrix was overrated and grohl is better in food fighters than in nirvana
Quote by buckethead_jr
Technically, yes.

why cause no royalties are being paid?
LISTEN:

LEARN:
I'd Imagen the whole declaring the value of any given album would be a problem. Lets say i came in and traded a NOW THATS MUSIC! 95' for the new 50 cent or another big selling name. After awhile people will get smart and start doing these things and you'll be stuck with the bull****, and no one wants bull****...so your whole campaign is ruined.
Yes and terrible business planning.

I'd like to trade this box of Britney Spears albums I bought for a fiver on ebay and trade them for 30 new CDS of my choice and cancel my membership please.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by kiennM
I'd Imagen the whole declaring the value of any given album would be a problem. Lets say i came in and traded a NOW THATS MUSIC! 95' for the new 50 cent or another big selling name. After awhile people will get smart and start doing these things and you'll be stuck with the bull****, and no one wants bull****...so your whole campaign is ruined.

I could keep that from happening, if I owned the shop i'd only take like 10 of a certian cd "in stock" as in, they couldn't trade it untill someone traded it out and only have 10 of a cd in at any one time. Plus, I'd be making the money from the subscription fee, not the selling of the cd's themselves so they would have no value except for 1 "unit" I got a great business plan, but I need to find out if it's illegal or not LOL
LISTEN:

LEARN:
Quote by Rankles
Yes and terrible business planning.

I'd like to trade this box of Britney Spears albums I bought for a fiver on ebay and trade them for 30 new CDS of my choice and cancel my membership please.

I actually have a stellar business model, my dad is in banking and he said that a bank would lend me the start up capital, but he doesn't know if it illegal or not ...
LISTEN:

LEARN:
Quote by aksuperstar
I could keep that from happening, if I owned the shop i'd only take like 10 of a certian cd "in stock" as in, they couldn't trade it untill someone traded it out and only have 10 of a cd in at any one time. Plus, I'd be making the money from the subscription fee, not the selling of the cd's themselves so they would have no value except for 1 "unit" I got a great business plan, but I need to find out if it's illegal or not LOL
The point is, you're getting money, and the companies of the CDs you're trading aren't.
That would be called renting, and it's illegal without license/permits to rent the content.

Also you're arguments wouldn't hold up in court. That's like someone arguing they weren't buying sex from a prosititute, they bought a condom for $500 and she just happened to like you.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Quote by yawn
The point is, you're getting money, and the companies of the CDs you're trading aren't.

yes I know, but is it illegal? The subscription cost would cover overhead and if needed any kind of royalties ....
LISTEN:

LEARN:
It would basically be like P2P file sharing online, except you exchange the actual CD. The initial process of you pay 30 bucks and can go in and take from a library-- that is legal because they are getting it for their own use, such as with iTunes. The illegal part is the trading of CDs because even though someone did pay for it, YOU didn't... which is P2P file sharing, and people get arrested for that-- don't think that makes it legal.

Sort of like how if you bought a CD and burned a copy of it for a friend-- that truly is illegal, even though they bought it. You buy the rights to listen to the music for yourself, the purchase of a CD does not give you distribution rights for the product.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by hethamulburton
The initial process of you pay 30 bucks and can go in and take from a library-- that is legal because they are getting it for their own use, such as with iTunes.

Nope this is still illegal. Technically the store owns the CD so "lending it out" or whatever would be illegal to do without a permit.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Quote by krims0n
Nope this is still illegal. Technically the store owns the CD so "lending it out" or whatever would be illegal to do without a permit.

Well, I was thinking more of you buy from a library-- such as a download site. A retail store set up like this would fail in less than a year. People would just trade CDs, leave you with the crap and since P2P sharing went on because of your store, no record companies are going to restock you... ultimate failure of a store.

Quote by hethamulburton
Well, I was thinking more of you buy from a library-- such as a download site. A retail store set up like this would fail in less than a year. People would just trade CDs, leave you with the crap and since P2P sharing went on because of your store, no record companies are going to restock you... ultimate failure of a store.

But you never purchased a cd you purchased a month membership to the store. You can try to twirl the logic all you want, but what's being described is a rental service, plain and simple. Why don't all the video rental stores save some megabucks and all take this new approach of selling and rebuying videos!!! I know why... because it's illegal.
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Quote by krims0n
You can try to twirl the logic all you want, but what's being described is a rental service, plain and simple.

that's what I figured, but then tell me this. If being a "rental" store is illegal, why can I go down to my local library and check out cd's from current artists? I could go rent Justin Timberlake if I so wish, I just have to go and check it out. They have some kind of permit or something?
LISTEN:

LEARN:
Quote by krims0n
But you never purchased a cd you purchased a month membership to the store. You can try to twirl the logic all you want, but what's being described is a rental service, plain and simple. Why don't all the video rental stores save some megabucks and all take this new approach of selling and rebuying videos!!! I know why... because it's illegal.

I'm talking about it would be smarter to make a download website. The business would fail because of the illegal activity that would surround it. I'm not trying to find a loophole in the system... cause the RIAA will just shut it again .

considering in a X amount of years (soonish) CDs will be pretty much extinct, its a **** idea
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Hmmmm, what if you only worked with lets say two or three major labels. You'd only take in trades and gave trades out from these three. Maybe work out some type of plan with these companies where you would pay a lump sum every so often. It just might work. The CD market is so ****ed these days. Maybe simply trading, like the old tape trading days would breath new life into it. I'd look into it, and stop posting your plans online. Oh yeah don't forget about me dude.
Last edited by kiennM at Oct 4, 2007,
****, they might even like this idea...They don't have to produce anything yet still make a profit. Let me get down on this.