So I've got a Yorkville/Traynor YBX1510. It's got 2x10 and a 1x15 in a single enclosure. Handy, but Yorkville-heavy at around 85lbs.

I bought it for $300 used, and it's served me fairly well for less than half a year, but I find that it's just not convenient to move around, considering it only handles 400W @ 4 Ohms.

I'm thinking of getting a DR Bass cab (http://www.drbasscabs.com/), as they're cheap and they ship to Canada, unlike Avatar.

They've got good reviews all-round on Harmony Central so it's really just about which one to get.

I'm thinking of either the RX 212 or the RX 310. I'd be playing through a 90's (I think) Ampeg SVT 3-Pro. I play all sorts of stuff, but mainly more prog-type music (in the vein of Tool, 65daysofstatic, etc) and grooves. Nothing crazy fancy or tech. I like having a middy tone with some bottom (eg. attempting Justin Chancellor or Brian Cook).

Also, does the material the cab is made of make a diff? The RX cabs are made of MDF, while the BL cabs are 3/4" Plywood.
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Oct 5, 2007,
you think that cab is inconveinient to move around? try an 8X10... 165 pounds of sheer unnecessary bulk. it's ridiculous. but i'd go RX for the cab..
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Yeah I know there are worse cabs, which is why I never understood why people buy 8x10s except for the visual value... unless you have a pickup truck and are immune to hernias.
You only need a 8x10 if you play Wembley. Don't hassle. The 2x12 will work wonders if you set up your EQ nicely.
The jazz student
I'm just worried that a 2x12 is too "boomy." Or do 12's have almost the same articulation as a 10?
Recent 212's are great. They were flappy in the 80's, when I wasn't born yet, but modern ones can be great. I played 2 gigs on a Genz Benz NEOPAK3.5 and NEO 212 and they were great. The 212 was just as clear as my 210 (but the head was much better). Again, it's all in the EQ.

And yes, MDF vs Plywood is important. MDF has no advantage over plywood. It's cheaper and can make the bass sound well the stage. It doesn't vibrate nicely and can be fragile. Plywood helps the bass project forward or, if ported, where it's supposed to be.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Recent 212's are great. They were flappy in the 80's, when I wasn't born yet, but modern ones can be great. I played 2 gigs on a Genz Benz NEOPAK3.5 and NEO 212 and they were great. The 212 was just as clear as my 210 (but the head was much better). Again, it's all in the EQ.

And yes, MDF vs Plywood is important. MDF has no advantage over plywood. It's cheaper and can make the bass sound well the stage. It doesn't vibrate nicely and can be fragile. Plywood helps the bass project forward or, if ported, where it's supposed to be.

Is it worth the extra $100 for plywood?
Not quite sure how much percentage wise that is a price increase, but it's $100 a better cab, yes. If it's worth $100 more to you is another story.

Sometimes I kick myself because I could have got more powerful gear for the $800 or so dollars I spent on my Fender Bassman 250. However, not much of it would have been plywood.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
They look nice, but you have a bracket in your link, so it comes up with a page not found. And you're right, they have gotten good reviews, whats their custumer service like?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
You could've just taken the bracket out... but I've fixed it anyway.

Evidently their customer service is pretty good. I emailed the company just to make sure they ship to Canada, and I got a quick reply from one of the owners, and he seems pretty friendly (as friendly as one can be through an email.)

What does it meant to "sound well the stage?"
Quote by Charlatan_001
You could've just taken the bracket out... but I've fixed it anyway.

Evidently their customer service is pretty good. I emailed the company just to make sure they ship to Canada, and I got a quick reply from one of the owners, and he seems pretty friendly (as friendly as one can be through an email.)

What does it meant to "sound well the stage?"

I meant swell. Sound can bleed through MDF and your tone can lose some serious focus.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by bite_the_bullet
you think that cab is inconveinient to move around? try an 8X10... 165 pounds of sheer unnecessary bulk. it's ridiculous. but i'd go RX for the cab..

^this uninformed reply is ridiculous.

bass is not an instrument of conveinence or light weights. if you have a SVT 3Pro, you need a serious cab to get the most out of that amp. i suggest a 4x10 at the very least. 2x12's might be ok for practice, but it's not going to get you through the gigs that only use the P.A. for vocals, unless you also have a sub cab, (single 15" or 18").
as far as woods. MDF vs Plywood? Multi Directional Fibers is a nice way of saying
particle board. it is basically wood chips and glue, pressed together. plywood is multiple layers of thin sheets of wood, stacked together with the grain running at 90 degrees of the layer below, pressed together with glue. which one is better? who knows, because both tend to impeed sound waves. sound waves do best with solid wood(Mesa). but who can afford that? for overall sound quality, the Ampeg 8x10, Rules the world, in it's price range. for easier to move, good sound, i suggest an Ampeg SVT 4x10, matched with an Ampeg SVT 1x15" or 18" cab. with bass sound, the more mass, the better.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

bass is not an instrument of conveinence or light weights. if you have a SVT 3Pro, you need a serious cab to get the most out of that amp. i suggest a 4x10 at the very least. 2x12's might be ok for practice, but it's not going to get you through the gigs that only use the P.A. for vocals, unless you also have a sub cab, (single 15" or 18").
as far as woods. MDF vs Plywood? Multi Directional Fibers is a nice way of saying
particle board. it is basically wood chips and glue, pressed together. plywood is multiple layers of thin sheets of wood, stacked together with the grain running at 90 degrees of the layer below, pressed together with glue. which one is better? who knows, because both tend to impeed sound waves. sound waves do best with solid wood(Mesa). but who can afford that? for overall sound quality, the Ampeg 8x10, Rules the world, in it's price range. for easier to move, good sound, i suggest an Ampeg SVT 4x10, matched with an Ampeg SVT 1x15" or 18" cab. with bass sound, the more mass, the better.

Okay well I realize that I'm being somewhat unreasonable with my demand for convenience and weight, it's just that I really don't have a budget for anything like that ATM.

I suppose it can always wait....
Markbass

seriously the smallest best sounding cabs/amps ever
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

bass is not an instrument of conveinence or light weights. the Ampeg 8x10, Rules the world, in it's price range. for easier to move, good sound, i suggest an Ampeg SVT 4x10, matched with an Ampeg SVT 1x15" cab. with bass sound, the more mass, the better.

that'd be my choice........invest a few bux in a collapseable two wheel dolly and a motorcycle strap to ease moving
Quote by Charlatan_001
Okay well I realize that I'm being somewhat unreasonable with my demand for convenience and weight, it's just that I really don't have a budget for anything like that ATM.

I suppose it can always wait....

your current amp is not too shabby. 400watts with 2x10's and a 15" is gig worthy.
i played through a Peavey Mark IV series amp matched with a Peavey 1810 cab.
the cab had 2x10's and an 18". i gigged with it for about 5yrs. it served me quite well.
btw, your current amp is way better than most young players have. good luck!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
your current amp is not too shabby. 400watts with 2x10's and a 15" is gig worthy.
i played through a Peavey Mark IV series amp matched with a Peavey 1810 cab.
the cab had 2x10's and an 18". i gigged with it for about 5yrs. it served me quite well.
btw, your current amp is way better than most young players have. good luck!

Yeah I haven't gigged with this stuff yet - I've only ever played small places that had amps there. Just worried that I wouldnt have enough headroom...

I trust the opinions of you guys though (83 and fitz).

Thanks for all the advice and whatnot guys, I appreciate it.