I have a current budget of $448, will have $650 very soon, so thats $650 maxy

I am looking at tube amps to get some awsome tones, but I'll need a head & cabs, or head and cab together, or a combo amp, just as long as it has good metal sound,
but I also do not wan't something that will break quickly, nor do I trust used gear
so I have $650 to spend, please help meh, any tube amp would be better than this lame SS amp I have , but I do know how to play even though my current setup sounds like crap well it sounds good on single strings but not palm muting

I can fit,

28 to 29" wide

32" high, can be lil higher as just clothes are above that

20" Deep
used 5150 combo, I know you said you didn't trust used gear, but those things are built like tanks, are fairly cheap and are VERY good metal amps.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Symmetry4321
how about a peavy valveking?

is there any quality difference on tone type sound between the 212 and 112??

I can use a pedal if needed, but I am pretty good at getting sounds that sound pretty good even with crap , just right now I have no tone for deep palm muting which is lame, my guitar is nice mahogony with humbuckers

I just need something with some tube

Quote by redneck516

hear those break ^ bad quality but good sound

Quote by _KurtCobain_77
used 5150 combo, I know you said you didn't trust used gear, but those things are built like tanks, are fairly cheap and are VERY good metal amps.

yeah, but most of those on ebay were around 500 to 800 for just an head, and theres no 2X12 combo for 5150 on ebay at moment, I don't need the best amp, just something that gets the job done with a nice low volume sound that has Tubes
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by hardcoredarrell
is there any quality difference on tone type sound between the 212 and 112??

I can use a pedal if needed, but I am pretty good at getting sounds that sound pretty good even with crap , just right now I have no tone for deep palm muting which is lame, my guitar is nice mahogony with humbuckers

I just need something with some tube

hear those break ^ bad quality but good sound

not that i know...
the 212 will probably sound 'bigger' though.
i don't like the valveking personally, apparently it's a hit or miss...

how much watts do you need ?
Quote by The red Strat.
not that i know...
the 212 will probably sound 'bigger' though.
i don't like the valveking personally, apparently it's a hit or miss...

how much watts do you need ?

watt doesn't really matter, as I'll play it at low volumes..... just need good tube amp for metal that wouldn't BREAK as B-52's seem to have that reputation on combo amps

just have the $650 price arena for a cab and head or a combo, just need tubes that sound good and not break easy, although I am a pro at electronics
B52's 212 break sometimes i heard yeah, but not the 112. don't quote me on that though.
anyway for bedroom practise, get a 5 watter (or less ?), no higher. that way you'll push your tubes harder = better sound.
mayba high-gain modded valve junior plus a pedal for versatility ?

good luck
Quote by The red Strat.
B52's 212 break sometimes i heard yeah, but not the 112. don't quote me on that though.
anyway for bedroom practise, get a 5 watter (or less ?), no higher. that way you'll push your tubes harder = better sound.

I thought you could get good sound at low volumes if you warmed the tubes up from what I've heard, all sorts of hype
Quote by hardcoredarrell
yeah, but most of those on ebay were around 500 to 800 for just an head, and theres no 2X12 combo for 5150 on ebay at moment, I don't need the best amp, just something that gets the job done with a nice low volume sound that has Tubes

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-212-Combo-60-Watt-Guitar-Tube-Amp-w-Wheels_W0QQitemZ260167269902QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
just found that one on ebay. A 5150 isn't the best amp, its just the budget metal amp. You might also want to look at the Peavey Windsor.

You can get the Windsor Half stack for $700
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-HalfStack?sku=485059

another option would be to wait till the Windsor combo version comes out, and see how it compares to the head version, and then pick up one of them.

You will want to be pushing your tubes hard for a good tone, but you can get a decent tone at low volumes with a tube amp, you'll just have a better tone when you play it loud.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-212-Combo-60-Watt-Guitar-Tube-Amp-w-Wheels_W0QQitemZ260167269902QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
just found that one on ebay. A 5150 isn't the best amp, its just the budget metal amp. You might also want to look at the Peavey Windsor.

You can get the Windsor Half stack for $700
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-HalfStack?sku=485059

another option would be to wait till the Windsor combo version comes out, and see how it compares to the head version, and then pick up one of them.

You will want to be pushing your tubes hard for a good tone, but you can get a decent tone at low volumes with a tube amp, you'll just have a better tone when you play it loud.

I hear windsor's suck and they also look very ugly imo
Quote by hardcoredarrell
I hear windsor's suck and they also look very ugly imo

When I tried one out, it sounded good to me. Cosmetics mean little to me personally, as long as it sounds amazing.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
When I tried one out, it sounded good to me. Cosmetics mean little to me personally, as long as it sounds amazing.

yeah, but you never know what it's been through to if it will sound good much longer
Quote by hardcoredarrell
I thought you could get good sound at low volumes if you warmed the tubes up from what I've heard, all sorts of hype

well warming up a 100 watter won't get you power amp saturation...
i don't get what you're trying to say.
Quote by hardcoredarrell

I'll sell you mine if you live in AZ

The B-52s used to have a bad rep of breaking, I haven't really heard much on the newer ones, they seem to be much better and B-52 has seemed to work out the kinks in them. It's the best new amp in your budget for what you play (imo). Very nice cleans and lots of gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'll sell you mine if you live in AZ

The B-52s used to have a bad rep of breaking, I haven't really heard much on the newer ones, they seem to be much better and B-52 has seemed to work out the kinks in them. It's the best new amp in your budget for what you play (imo). Very nice cleans and lots of gain.

shame I live in Louisiana , yours looks in great condition though

yeah that may be true, but wonder if online stores would have the new ones rather than the old ones

I hear the Randall RG50TC is Great for metal, but that one also has flaws as the old B-52's did least from gathered info from various people