Who thinks of amazing solos,riffs in your head. But couldn't play it if your life depended on it? I know i am, im the kind of person who would rather talk about guitar rather than playing it because it actually makes me seem like im better than i am.
My Setup

Guitar-Jackson Dinky *Black*

Pickups- 2 Seymour Duncans

Tremolo- Floyd Rose

AMP- Line 6 Spider II

Men are monkeys, monkeys are monkeys.

Wait.. WTF?!
i do that all the time, especially when im chonged

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
i don't really talk about guitar much. i'm one of those other people who can play damn near anything, but could'nt write a riff if my life depended on it. funny thing is, the other guitarest in my band has your problem. he'll think of something really cool, and hum it to me, and i can sorta figure it out better than he can.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
I just use powertab to write them all out. Then I challenge myself with them later once I've forgotten them.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
if you mean thinking of the riffs/solos and then not knowing the notes they are, then yeah.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Yeh, like im can think of riffs/solos 24/7 if i felt like it. And SOME! i can actually do. But others i refuse.
My Setup

Tremolo- Floyd Rose

AMP- Line 6 Spider II

Wait.. WTF?!
When this happenes to me, I hum the riff/solo into a mic connected to my recording system. Then I play it back, that way it's 'saved' and won't go up in smoke. Then, I usually apply the 'hum riff' to guitar, using my ear. I work with it note by note, and it begins to piece itself together. If its hard to play, I will slowly practice it, and speed it up (with a metronome) and that way I'll be able to play it perfectly. I try not to let any difficult things limit me.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I wish i was able to say F U to difficulty like you do. But sadly i cannot, it overpowers me.
My Setup

Tremolo- Floyd Rose

AMP- Line 6 Spider II

Wait.. WTF?!
Then slowly make your way to overpowering it. It takes time and practice, but its really rewarding, and hey, you got a new riff/lick in your library. All the guitar gods didn't just pick up a guitar and start creating breath taking, beautiful music. They had to face difficult areas and they got through them.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
i think of sum killer riff thats gonna be piss easy get home pick up my axe and think ...... balls
bluesrocker101 was spot on, that's the way to do it, it's obvious that you're not ear trained, that's all, start learning songs by ear or something, go do some intervallic ear training, that helps.
Yeah, I understand what your saying, but I find the more I play, the better i get at playing ideas in my head.
Ear training. Get on it.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
No, i can play almost anything by ear, but i cant tink of a good riff
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
im the same i cant play anything that i think of especially solos thay are hardest
The only thing that has inspired me to actually take up theory and learning scales, modes, training my ears etc. is the UG Jam.

That was earlier today - now I'm starting to believe that I suffer from Bipolar.
haha i never learn covers ive been playing guitar for like 2 years and i know maybe 4 songs written by some one else altho i learn others riffs here and there.. to me learning some one elses **** is just incredibly boring all i do is just sitt there and play with my guitar (using theory and write songs) give me 4 hours and i can write u a killer guitar song haha i can play pretty ****ing fast to give me a hard song to learn tho and id rather cut my self rather than memorizing all the notes in some English dudes solo lol
i can do both

i find i am quite adept at playing something outta my head and i'm also good at hearing something on the radio and just goin at it
not really

i AM the bad. i've tried out for bands and nobody wants me, i don't know why. but its all good cuz i can still write my own stuff and make it sound like i want it to and not have any conflict. i do everything, i have songs on my profile. be warned, it's not punk
i'm... the opposite... i can play a solo when it's time... but i can't think of it in my head when i'm trying to "write" a solo... and i can't recall a solo either...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ i usually don't "write a solo" its all always improv. im gonna get a tape recorder or good webcam this time round so i can catch all my solos on tape and play them back and learn'em. really though i'd prefer to just solo over something and do something different each time.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i usually don't "write a solo" its all always improv. im gonna get a tape recorder or good webcam this time round so i can catch all my solos on tape and play them back and learn'em. really though i'd prefer to just solo over something and do something different each time.

haha oh man that sounds kind of familliar..... im a big fan of improv solos altho my solos are to long to write... annoys my freinds tho they call it gay ass wanking and shredding (they hate shredding) and my names natedapunk because punks whats got me into music but i find punk boring to play its just not techincal enough...
^ well, haha, my musics not really technical either (at least not the old stuff on here) but i think its a good listen. most of my solos go on for awhile too. i figure for the solo thing i can always find something new to say with a solo so why not?
im not like that.. i just freestyle on my guitar instead of in my head.. I have many friends like you who talk and know alot about guitar but cant really play worth ****, I'm almost the opposite where I don't know too much about different types of guitars and models. i just play and it sounds great
I broke my G string
Quote by PJBRoC
Who thinks of amazing solos,riffs in your head. But couldn't play it if your life depended on it? I know i am, im the kind of person who would rather talk about guitar rather than playing it because it actually makes me seem like im better than i am.

no not really lol. im at the point where i can play pretty much anything i hear in my head. but actually most of the time i dont think of much while playing. i just kind of do it. there are some things i think about but for the most part it just comes out. probably because i never stop playing. i never get lost or anything like that anymore. but i do love to talk about guitar and music in general.
Quote by z4twenny

same. i dont usually bother writing any solos. i just improv something. ive onyl ever written one solo ever so far. the only reason i did it was because i had a small spot for a solo and everytime i did it i ended up with some stuff i liked and some i didnt. so i just kept adding the parts i liked together until i had a pre arranged solo to do. but that was also back when i wasnt as good at improv. so now i probably wouldnt do that.
yah improvs cool i almost always write riffs by accident personally just playi with my babies lol than figure out what scales it works with and go from there and writing a whole solo just ruins the fun:P