I'm a bassist, but I want a guitar to play around with.... I play a diversity of metal, power, hardcore, trash, death, black, FOLK!!!, etc.
I have let's say $450 to spend... I need an amp and a guitar... suggestions?
Roland Microcube (don't get the 15x or the 20x, they are worse than the Microcube) is right up your alley.

Hagstrom F-20 - The Hagstrom F series gives you the most guitar for the money in that price range from everything I've played. Good build quality, solid electronics and pickups, and a very comfortable neck.

I'm also a big fan of the Switch Stealth. Once you get over the fact that it isn't made of wood, you realize how freakin' lively and resonant it is.

I normally shy away from Rogue products, but it's hard to argue with the great specs that the Rogue HH Ash has.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
Roland Microcube (don't get the 15x or the 20x, they are worse than the Microcube) is right up your alley.

Hagstrom F-20 - The Hagstrom F series gives you the most guitar for the money in that price range from everything I've played. Good build quality, solid electronics and pickups, and a very comfortable neck.

I'm also a big fan of the Switch Stealth. Once you get over the fact that it isn't made of wood, you realize how freakin' lively and resonant it is.

I normally shy away from Rogue products, but it's hard to argue with the great specs that the Rogue HH Ash has.

Thats a 2 watt amp. :O.
Quote by kaossurge

Its a loud two watt amp. If I can hear it over the crap at GC, its loud As for a guitar, check out a used Jackson Dk2 w/ Seymour Duncans. an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top may also be an option, but I would advise just going into various shops and playing guitars to see what you like.
Well, i'm going to the shop tomorrow, but I want some suggestions on what I should try out tomorrow.
Quote by kaossurge
Well, i'm going to the shop tomorrow, but I want some suggestions on what I should try out tomorrow.

Just about everything man Seriously, I feel thats the best way to do it when you need something to do a lot of genres or you're not quite sure what you want.
Quick Teach me a riff to play, so i dont look like an idiot, trying to play guitar out there.
Quote by kaossurge

r u gonna play at a gig?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
r u gonna play at a gig?

For gigs i'll use one of my friends amps... but I need something that can be heard with my friends amps when we jam.. they all have 100+W
probably a Roland Cube 60, or hunt for a used peavey 5150 for $450. good luck. they often come in at $500ish on ebay though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
probably a Roland Cube 60, or hunt for a used peavey 5150 for $450. good luck. they often come in at $500ish on ebay though.

dude... i need a guitar AND an amp.
lol so... generally like $100 guitar and $350 amp? iono how loud ur friends play their 100w amps, but i think it won't happen for $450. save more. or it'd be your worst $450 you'll ever spend.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
You won't find anything you would be able to practice in a band with for that little money.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by kaossurge
dude... i need a guitar AND an amp.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy one of those starter pack things *shudders*

Just pick an amp out first, then try out some guitars that the rest of the money will cover. Take your time and don't just pick something pretty
Guys I really have around $530 total to spend, but I said $450 because usually when I say a price, I get suggestions for $50-$100 over my said budget :P. PLus I also wasnt planning on spending all my money, but it looks like i will be.
Well, if you are a bassist, do you need a new amp 0.o?
Rap is music too. It is just another evolution of the medium. Don't be a douche and say it isn't.
pedals?

that would be like 50 bucks for a simple DS-1
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by .fallen
pedals?

Can I use guitar pedals on a bass amp?
Dean Palomino is a good wide-range guitar. it plays opeth well.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by .fallen
pedals?

A DS-1 and a bass amp will not get you a metal tone ...
Quote by kaossurge
Can I use guitar pedals on a bass amp?

I do it all the time.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
o rly? (about the not metal tone)

what do you think is metal than? super computerized buzzsaw? aka no tone at all?

then get a more "metal" (read uglier sounding) pedal

and i play metal. so dont be like homg wtf u dnt kno wat teh metalz are n00b
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by FacingUsAll

I've got the 20x, I picked it over the microcube too. I tried them both out and did quite a bit of research on both of the amps. The 20x seemed a better fit for me than the microcube. Plus I wanted something that I could trade up for a better amp in about a year, to a year and a half. I'm hoping to trade my amp up for a small tube amp, plus some cash of course in a lil while. While the microcube would have been just fine I wanted something that I could go over to a friends house and jam with his 30 watt valvetronics or how ever it is spelled, the vox partial tube one I think.