Just got an epi g-400...sweet ass guitar. I played it for like two weeks at home (my drummer was out of town for a couple weeks, no practice) through my gig amp but at a moderately quiet level. Drummer gets home, time for band practice. Pack up my stuff and head over last night.

Get everything set up and crank to my practice volume, not super loud but certainly louder than my volume at home. I start playing around, warming up, and there's this horrible squeel, like mic feedback kind of, that I figured was coming from my singer's PA. Well he turns off his PA and it turns out it's coming from my amp.

It only does it if I'm touching the guitar and not playing anything -- but it doesn't do it all the time, just when it decides it's a good idea. Is this a short somewhere? What's going on It sort of does it with my Jag-Stang, but the Jag-Stang is also a ****ty guitar so I can't completely rule out the guitar.

I have a gig tomorrow night and would really like to get this figured out before then. Is this something I can fix myself?
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
Which amp are you playing it through?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Have you ever played in that particular room with the same equipment before? Sometimes the amps settings have to be changed to accomodate room size and other acoustic concerns. Try turning your gain down and/or repositioning your amp. And you know to stay away from the speaker at high volumes.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Which amp are you playing it through?

My Fender 212R. I never really had this issue before with my Ibanez, I've been putting my Ibanez through it for about 8 months...but weathers changing, etc. so maybe its the amp reacting poorly to the cold or maybe something died in it? I dunno
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Buncha pedals
Quote by uldhppi
Have you ever played in that particular room with the same equipment before? Sometimes the amps settings have to be changed to accomodate room size and other acoustic concerns. Try turning your gain down and/or repositioning your amp. And you know to stay away from the speaker at high volumes.

Ooh, that's a good one -- I didn't know about the speakers thing. I have my amp set up right below one of the PA speakers (it's raised up on top of a dryer).
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Buncha pedals