When I play live I hear complaints that somtimes I just "stand around."
So I've tried improving my performance by head banging, pogoing, and other things. I guess this is a stupid question, but how do I look cool while playing guitar without pulling out all the old rock and roll cliches and looking retarded?
I'm not a gigging musician but I'd bet that if you're bold about it, and make it look natural, it won't look cheesy. I mean, look at Angus Young. Most people marvel at him, but if most people tried to do that they'd just be like "psh, what a fool" or something.

That's just my 2 cents I guess. There's probably someone around here who can give you much better advice.
hey man if you got room on stage then strut around a little bit. try moving really close to the audience for solos so they can check it out. depending what kind of music your playing than headbanging would also be cool.
Smile, enjoy playing and show it (unless its br00tal metal, in which case it probably isn't very enjoyable). Move around, maybe jump a bit, simply do what feels natural. The number one thing is definitely to relax and feel happy about it.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by 6Slay6tanic6
got long hair?

Circle headbang til your head falls off.

thast better than vertical headbanging(is that what you call it? going back and forth?)
but bad for your neck

man dude i know when you practice you can do w/e you want, but once on stage, its terrifying so just think this, "youre on stage theyre not, they all wud like to be in your place, and youve got what they dont, so let em see what you can do" read dat in an article on UG, it really helps

and try headbanging, kinda walking around with your guitar, go next to your bass player and your drummer, do all kinds of stuff
don't force anything. if you put too much effort into looking cool, you're probably gonna end up not looking cool.

but at the same time, you have to realize you're putting on a show for people. they don't want to see standing there looking like you're just practicing scales (well I'm sure fellow musicians wouldn't mind, but I doubt everyone in the crowd is going to be a musician). so if there's something you wanna add to your live performances, practice it to death. Practice it to the point where you do it live without even thinking about it. If you find yourself going, "oh man, I better start jumping, now!" or "I didn't fling my hair around last chorus.... I think I'll do it next chorus.".... you're probably putting to much effort and thought into it.

But above all, if you're jumping around too much and it causes your playing to be sloppy.... well, that's just lame. (I'm looking at YOU, fall out boy.....)
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Get your wang out. Unless it's tiny.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Dude your forgetting ... always have a few of beers before you rock out!! and spread you legs, practice songs in front of a mirror, make sure ur confident with how you look.. but seriously man have a few beers before you put on a show!!

ALSO! Don't listen to fool's who tell you to lower your guitar!! you can look cool with ur guitar at almost any height with the right stance!!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Last edited by synth002 at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by synth002
ALSO! Don't listen to fool's who tell you to lower your guitar!! you can look cool with ur guitar at almost any height with the right stance!!

Axtually, you lower you are and more smoothly you play, the cooler you look.

>.>

<.<
I had the same problem. I grew longer hair, and learned to headbang.

I enjoy circling, and for the heavier **** straight up and down. Watch a decent live video from some bands, like gojira or slayer.

Don't pogo. It's homosexual.

One more thing! (jackie chan!!)

wear your guitar the way it's comfortable. lower isn't better.
Last edited by killadelphia222 at Oct 4, 2007,
Don't worry about putting your guitar lower, no ones gonna think you're cool if you can't play. Look at Tom Morello, he could probably bite his guitar, but because of his stage movements, riffs and energy he's a weapon on stage.

Just be natural and relax. A lot of people tense up and that usually isnt good. Dont stand with your feet together, walk around a bit, look up occasionally and enjoy it. Playing live shouldn't be something that you dread, it should be something to look forward to and blast the masses with your awesomeness.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Axtually, you lower you are and more smoothly you play, the cooler you look

I totally disagree with the whole low guitars look cool, ........

ALTHOUGH!! When I see these indie fool's wearing their guitars round their nip's I can't figure it out!, I mean all they're gonna do it play some chords and MAYBE play a couple phrases with a delay pedal and a few notes!!... ANYWAYS..... LOL...

.. as far as im concerned a guitar whould be worn at the proper height! I know its all personal but when I hang out with other guitarist's (metal head's are the worst!, not that im not a metal head lol) I always notice that their wrestling their guitar to get the fingers where they want them for solo's and whateva and its really messing with their playing! and lots have thier guitars so low it just looks stupid!.. I spose as long as it doesn't affect playing it don't really matter! lol
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Try playing pick slides, but replace the picks with mikes.

This works best when you have a mouth full of water, so you can spray it around yourself ala Triple H.
Quote by synth002
I totally disagree with the whole low guitars look cool, ........

Sorry, experts have done some pretty grueling research on this.
Lower = Cooler
You may also be interested to know that these scientists are the ones who theorised and proved that your playing ability is directly proportion to your hair length.
Last edited by Retro Rocker at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by monkey_dancer
Smile, enjoy playing and show it (unless its br00tal metal, in which case it probably isn't very enjoyable). Move around, maybe jump a bit, simply do what feels natural. The number one thing is definitely to relax and feel happy about it.

Who's to say br00tal death metal isn't enjoyable?

otherwise, just follow this guy's advice. Relax, and let the music move you.
uh, wear mirrored sunglasses? eh-heh....

Uh, yeah, I'd just look as at-ease as you can be.....

Or, uh, maybe you could intentionally act tense. like, jerky, seizure-ish tense. develop a stage act on that or something....
WALK! headbanging is great,but u gotta move to. the bassist in my band stands frozen,his feet dont move.he headbangs,but he doesnt move. i love to walk around, face on particular part of the crowd for a certain part of the song.do w/e suits you. just look comfortable,and WALK!
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by AppleQueso
Who's to say br00tal death metal isn't enjoyable?

otherwise, just follow this guy's advice. Relax, and let the music move you.

first off dont say br00tal its brutal only little emo kids call it br00tal.

secound the circle headbanging is called the windmill

and thirdly forgods sake dont headbang with hair shorter than shoulder length otherwise it just looks stupid and very few people can make it look good with short hair
Quote by TheSmilingGoat

and thirdly forgods sake dont headbang with hair shorter than shoulder length otherwise it just looks stupid and very few people can make it look good with short hair

1) Dude, relax, they were just joking.
2) Who cares what it's called?
3) They'll do what they want. I have less then shoulder length hair, but I can pull off head banging on stage.
I had the same problem, but after a couple of gigs i lossened up, heres some tips

Smile
If your having a good time, the audience will be having a good time

Mindless headbanging?
You dont need to headbang to look lively, try just walking around and hanging with the other members, try getting back to back with your bassist during a solo, that always looks good

Lower is not always cooler
I consider Tom Morello to be one be on of the most innovative guitarists of the 90s and early 2000's, he plays his guitar up high and he gets awwwed at all the time.
If you can solo like a freak with a low guitar you can solo even better with a higher guitar, i think a good medium is so you can still see your knees and you can still see your chest, having the bottom of the guitar just covering your waist is good i think
Quote by TheSmilingGoat

I only called it "Br00tal" because that's what the poster I was quoting called it.

On topic though, I think it's always a good idea to have at least one especially extravagant stage antic under your belt. All it takes is one crazy move and people will be talking about your band for weeks.

I saw a band once where at the end of thier set, the singer/guitars dived at the drummer and completley knocked apart the drumkit. It was awesome. I don't even remember anything about the other bands at that show.
Why I'm not going to get into what length you should have your guitar at (I haven't decided for myself yet.) I believe I can give you some usefull tips.

-Only stand around if your also singing (lead or backup.) otherwise I advise you to move around as much as you can.
-Tell afew jokes or something between songs, nothing that can be considered pollitically incorrect or anything but I do suggest some dirty jokes.
-Move about, dance, Dance and sing the ****ing macarena if you get the chance just KEEP MOVING!
-if you get a chance run up the drum kit and kick a high hat from the bass drum.

For good stage form I suggest looking up the fall of troy and at the drive in for good stage form. I hope that helps.
Have your guitar swinging a little low, but not so low that it puts strain on your back. Having your guitar HIGH is bad for your back, but mostly your arms. One of my music teachers got major tendonitis from playing his guitar too high.

Just loosen up, act natural, and move around as much as possible. You have space onstage, so use it.
Stand absolutely still while playing your guitar and just have a psychotic look on your face while you stare at the audience.
This is the best way to look cool for lazy people.
Of course the psychotic stare can be mixed with hyperactive stage behaviour too. For an example of this, check out Wilco Johnson from Dr. Feelgood

Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 11, 2007,