so i'm trying to decide between a jackson ke3 kelly and an ibanez rgdxgp2. they both have floyds but the jackson has a compund radius

thanks in advance
Up the Punx!
What music do you play and what amp do you have?

Quote by minibrowny
Jackson.

Your powers of persuasion should be commended...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Liscenced floyds? If so go with the nez, cause Jackson liscenced floyds NEVER LAST! Take my word, and trust it.
My Setup

Guitar-Jackson Dinky *Black*

Pickups- 2 Seymour Duncans

Tremolo- Floyd Rose

AMP- Line 6 Spider II

Men are monkeys, monkeys are monkeys.

Wait.. WTF?!
Quote by FacingUsAll
What music do you play and what amp do you have?

Your powers of persuasion should be commended...

i play speed and thrash metal and i have a 65 watt kustom kga-65
Up the Punx!
Last edited by Dvnc at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by PJBRoC
Liscenced floyds? If so go with the nez, cause Jackson liscenced floyds NEVER LAST! Take my word, and trust it.

i think the ibanez has that edge 3 thing. (probably not liscensed)
Up the Punx!
Well a jackson would then fit deff well, they play nice and have amazing fretboards. But the floyds suck, SUCK.
My Setup

Guitar-Jackson Dinky *Black*

Pickups- 2 Seymour Duncans

Tremolo- Floyd Rose

AMP- Line 6 Spider II

Men are monkeys, monkeys are monkeys.

Wait.. WTF?!
i'm probably not lookin' at real heavy floyd use anyway, i think just divebombs and natural harmonic wiggles and stuff

p.s know any good whammy bar tricks?
Up the Punx!
Both of the trems suck ass, so don't expect any miracles there. The pups on both of these guitars are going to be o.k., but not much more than that so it's pretty much down to what you prefer in terms of feel and shape. Personally, I love the feel of Ibanez, but I like the look of the Kelly and given that Jackson necks are great to, I'd go for the Ke3.

Edit:

The Kelly has Seymour Duncans, making the choice for the Jackson even more obvious.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Dvnc
i think the ibanez has that edge 3 thing. (probably not liscensed)

It is liscensed; every Floyd that is not the OFR is liscenced. However, you can get GOOD LFRs and BAD LFRs. Good ones are like the Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro and Lo Pro etc. etc....

Anyways, I am not sure about that Ibanez so I won't comment on it. However, the Jackson is pretty nice, the trem is meant to be alright and a direct swap for an OFR, comes with Seymour Duncans and Japanese made. Make sure you try one out at first though, you may not like the feel.
Quote by Mwoit
It is liscensed; every Floyd that is not the OFR is liscenced. However, you can get GOOD LFRs and BAD LFRs. Good ones are like the Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro and Lo Pro etc. etc....

Anyways, I am not sure about that Ibanez so I won't comment on it. However, the Jackson is pretty nice, the trem is meant to be alright and a direct swap for an OFR, comes with Seymour Duncans and Japanese made. Make sure you try one out at first though, you may not like the feel.

i played a performer at a guitar center and absolutely loved it, but it turns out they don't make kelly performers anymore. thats why i've been thinkin of the kelly.
Up the Punx!
plus, i'm on a fairly tight budget and the ibanez is way cheaper. the question is, do i sacrifice lots of quality for the cheaper price tag
Up the Punx!
Quote by Dvnc
plus, i'm on a fairly tight budget and the ibanez is way cheaper. the question is, do i sacrifice lots of quality for the cheaper price tag

What you sacrifice are the pups and the unique bodyshape.

With that being said, the pups on the Ibanez aren't bad, they're just not that great. The quality of the Ibanez is fine and I find the necks very comfortable. You could just buy the Ibanez and eventually change the pickups, if you'd like to, that is.

Try it in a store and see if you like it.

Also, if you're getting an non-Prestige Ibanez RG, I'd recommend getting a hardtail.

http://ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=rg_fixed

These are some fine guitars.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
What you sacrifice are the pups and the unique bodyshape.

With that being said, the pups on the Ibanez aren't bad, they're just not that great. The quality of the Ibanez is fine and I find the necks very comfortable. You could just buy the Ibanez and eventually change the pickups, if you'd like to, that is.

Try it in a store and see if you like it.

Also, if you're getting an non-Prestige Ibanez RG, I'd recommend getting a hardtail.

i want a floyd on my new guitar for sure though. no ifs, ands, or buts
Up the Punx!
Quote by Dvnc
i want a floyd on my new guitar for sure though. no ifs, ands, or buts

I bet you're going to be really anal about this

Anyway, if you really want a Floyd, get the S with a ZR trem or an RG with an Edge Pro, original Edge etc (found on Prestige and older Japanese models)...

The Edge Pro III really isn't worth it, like many cheap LFR's.
link me to the ibanez, according to google and the ibby website it doesn't exist.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^ touche , i have played that guitar many a time and recently just talked my friend out of buying it. I managed to break the edge 3 trem within 5 mins in a music store on an rg350dx (same guitar but with a pickguard) so, i'd go with a jackson, my friend has a dxmg and the lfr isn't overly shabby
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ touche , i have played that guitar many a time and recently just talked my friend out of buying it. I managed to break the edge 3 trem within 5 mins in a music store on an rg350dx (same guitar but with a pickguard) so, i'd go with a jackson, my friend has a dxmg and the lfr isn't overly shabby

Edge Pro III aren't supposed to be that bad, in fact, with a good setup they can be called decent. The thing is they just wear out after a few months. However, despite the fact that they wear out quickly, they shouldn't die that fast.
it didnt wear out, it came out of the body lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

d00d! U R s0 br00t47z!!!!

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

I'd hate to return it to the staff after that. I can just imagine the look in their eyes when you hand them a guitar with the trem ripped out of the body and hanging by the strings.

What the hell did you do to it anyway?