hey can you help me out, i was wondering how to get a blues sound out of my guitar. it has 2 double coil pickups. i have a marshall mg15dfx. and it has bass, contour, and treble, as well as gain.... i was wondering what i should use to get that blues sound. should i have the treble and bass up, but the midrange down. Or maybe vice versa, what should i do?
A new amp?

Put your guitar on the neck pickup and just have some slight gain.

I like lots of mids, but it's really up to you how you eq it.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Don't scoop mids. Good blues tone requires mids. Turn the bass up to at least 7, mids to 6-8, tone to 5-6. Play on the neck pickup or middle position. Set the contour in the middle and adjust to taste from there. Use a minimum of distortion but not zero.
There's no hard rule.. blues can be clean ala bb king or distortion and dirty ala cream. It's more knowing how to use the blues scale and syncopation.
tone nob on the guitar can be turned down a tad too, for that warmer sound
texas blues would be kinda like... treble 8 mid 8 bass 4 volume 10 tone 9-10...
psychedellic blues would be like... treble 5 mid 7 bass 8 volume 10 tone 7...
modern cream tone is... treble 9 mid 7 bass 8 volume 10 tone 7-10

well that's how i like it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Turn down your tone knobs, use the neck pickup, and turn up the bass. Oh by the way, that amp isn't very good so if you can't get the perfect tone you want don't get frustrated.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
i use a HSS squire strat (it sucks dont get it) it was in a starter pack i got 2 1/2 months ago along with a Fender 15G practice amp. i play blues putting it in the neck/midle postition and putting that crappy little amp on clean, sounds pretty sweet.
When I first started playing and learning some Pentatonic minor scales, the blues are all my fingers would produce for about four months. It was getting annoying! lol
Wow I'm really surprised this didn't turn into an MG bashing.

I see it all too often...
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
No overdrive, keep it on clean. You can have clean distortion too if you like.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
There is no definitive blues tone. It can be as jazz inspired at BB's, or as Ibanez-esqe as Bonamassa's. It's all preference. I'd focus more on learning to play the blues, than sounding like the blues.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I like to use some gain for blues but more of a saturated kind of gain than the metal type of preamp gain if you kno what i mean.. And yeah lower your tone knob on the guitar up the mids and shape from there.
im a newbie when it comes to settings. What does scooping the mids mean?
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
Quote by uldhppi
Don't scoop mids. Good tone requires mids.

Fixed.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by darksauce
im a newbie when it comes to settings. What does scooping the mids mean?

it means turning the mid control down on the amp so that you cut out the midrange frequencies which are the main frequencies that the guitar produces, it kinda gives it a thin sound with more harmonics than the actual note that is played.

I don't see why people bash mid-scooping though, if you want to scoop mids, you can ****ing scoop mids. but as a general rule its not going to give you a "good" blues tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I usually get a good blues tone with

treble 9
mid 6
bass 7
gain 5

but thats for my amp and im using a jaguar, so i dont think that will be much help
Quote by Blompcube

I don't see why people bash mid-scooping though, if you want to scoop mids, you can ****ing scoop mids. but as a general rule its not going to give you a "good" blues tone.

If you are in a band situation you'll have problems with "cutting through" if you scoop the mids.
The low frequenses are competing with the bass and the highs are competing with the cymbals. Then if you scoop the mids what is left to be heard?
Or that is atleast what I've been told anyway.
Quote by Guitarmike123
If you are in a band situation you'll have problems with "cutting through" if you scoop the mids.
The low frequenses are competing with the bass and the highs are competing with the cymbals. Then if you scoop the mids what is left to be heard?
Or that is atleast what I've been told anyway.

not really. i guess it depends on the range of mid frequencies you cut out. most amps will increase some mids if you boost the bass and treble controls. Theres also the whole argument of whether you want the guitar to cut through, or just sit in the mix with the rest of the rhythm section.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
For some genres scooped mids works, especially with the proper amp. For blue and classic rock I wouldn't scoop. I don't like the scooped sound but I don't play metal. The eq knobs are somewhat interactive, so the bass does effect the midrange. Unless you have an amp made to project guitars with scooped mids (usually a rather expensive amp) doing this generally does not project very well.
i would consider blues a style not a tone. gary moore on occasion uses metal levels of gain and still sounds very bluesy
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I have an the same amp. I got frustrated with it and put a Boss OD-20 behind it and then followed with a CryBaby 95Q wah. I have left my Marshall set to clean ever since.

Boss OD-20 Drive Zone - $99 (took the display one home so I got it for cheap)
CryBaby 95Q - $118

I also believe that some of the tone comes from the fingers

Chris
Anybody who says Gary Moore can't play the blues is crazy. The only guy I have ever heard who can "shred" the blues and do it well.
Quote by uldhppi
Anybody who says Gary Moore can't play the blues is crazy. The only guy I have ever heard who can "shred" the blues and do it well.

+1
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Go get a "Blues Driver" pedel....
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III