I have just started the 2nd year of an Architectural Engineering course. I gained direct entry as i have an HND for Architecture but due to certain circumstances i couldnt continue purely with Architecture so i am now in this course. Its been 3 years since i done maths and to be honest i have forgotten the basics for Differentiation and Integration which is obviously a big part of my maths class.
My lecturer has basically launched straight into complicated stuff and he goes at a very fast pace so it is hard to take notes and take in what he is saying and when i say i'm not sure what he is talking about he just says look up on it which i haven't been having much success with as i just get confused. I have been looking on the net, sitting in the library trying to work from my mathematical engineering book and watching some tutorials on youtube.
He has given us 8 equations to solve and i can't do 1 of them this is really annoying me
So could anyone point me in the right direction as to how to learn this? We are working on Ordinary Differential Equations just now. I have put any 2 examples down this stuff is simpler than than material the lecturer goes over in the class. Could anyone please guide me as to how to go about solving these? That would be much appreciated sorry, for rambling on i'm getting desperate on how to be able to solve these.

dy
x(2y-3)+(x^2+1) --- =0 I'm not 100% sure but is to the power of sign ^?
dx

dy
--- =e^(x-y)
dx

Thank you
i think when u differentate e^ wotever its wotever-1 E^wotever

not too sure biout tht, did it last year
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
oh dear, this is much more complex than separate and integrate, isnt it? if its not, id go with separate and integrate. if not, i cant remember cuz its been 3 years since ive taken differential equations and havent had to deal with them since. although i distinctly remember something about eigen vectors and eigen values. those are EVIL. g/l tho
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Differentiation is barely University level maths.

the general rule is: x^2 becomes 2x
3x^2 becomes 6x
x^3 becomes 3x^2

so, dx/dy ax^n = n(a)x^n-1

and dx/dy ax = a

and dx/dy a= 0

also;

f'(x) of sinx = cosx
f'(x) of cosx = -sinx
f'(x) of tanx = sec^2x
f'(x) of ln(x) = x^-1
f'(x) of e^x = e^x

And I cant be bothered going into more depth.

But you also have the quotient rule, product rule, and chain rule.

If you want, I can write up a guide on how to do them in notepad, and copypasta it onto here.
What's up with all the pluralization of math? Here's my advice, seek out a tutor, I know there are tons of different programs at my college where people can go to get help, free of charge. Thus, since American schools are apparently so much worse than European, you should have no problem getting help!!!
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Differentiation is barely University level maths.

the general rule is: x^2 becomes 2x
3x^2 becomes 6x
x^3 becomes 3x^2

so, dx/dy ax^n = n(a)x^n-1

and dx/dy ax = a

and dx/dy a= 0

Remember i said those questions were alot simpler to whats been going on in the class. Thanks for that though im doing more basic sort of stuff and trying to remember how to do it all since i last did it in high school and i ain't got the best of memories

I would love to get a tutor but i can't hire anyone i have no money to do that at all so i need to depend on books, the internet and the lecturer whenever he can help me.
I'm starting to kind of get the hang of this now i will see how i get on with this stuff. Thanks everyone