is a gibson explorer a good buy. my mom is gettin me a new guitatr for christmas and i was thinking about an explorer( yes a gibson this would be my only gift meaning im not rich) anyway my other option would be a schecter hellraiser but im leanin towards the explorer. i play metal and modern rock and i have a line 6 120 amp

thanks in advance
GuItArS
Epiphone Les PAul StandarD

AmPs
Line 6 Spider III 120

group http://

group join if u want Ug hockey fans
most people will tell you to get a new amp instead. an epi LP standard is a decent guitar, and would sound pretty good through a new amp (especially if you switch the pickups), while nomatter how nice a guitar you get, it'll be limited by your amp. The problem with the spider is that, being a modelling amp, it tries to let you get any tone almost regardless of which guitar you use... which means it almost defeats the purpose of buying a new guitar.

of course, this assumes your epi is in playable condition, and you don't utterly hate it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i dont hate it and in the future i will be getting a new amp. i actually love my lp
GuItArS

AmPs
Line 6 Spider III 120

then save for a nice tube amp instead!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by Dave_Mc
The problem with the spider is that, being a modelling amp, it tries to let you get any tone almost regardless of which guitar you use... which means it almost defeats the purpose of buying a new guitar.

key word = try
A gibson explorer as your only gift for christmas? I got a Gould strat copy as my only gift one christmas
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
so, you're "not rich", but you're getting a guitar near $1000? sounds like somebody is rich
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
get a nice 30watt tube laney and some new pickups for your LP.

Dave Mc was right in what he said...probably the irish in him
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
uhm your not rich are you?
****ing hell man I had to pay for half my ibanez for christmas
that was all i got
anyway ya fine guitar, overpriced
i gotta pay 300
if i wanna get it
GuItArS

AmPs
Line 6 Spider III 120

New amp, ftw.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
and my bday is the day after christmas so itll combine
GuItArS

AmPs
Line 6 Spider III 120

Quote by tba50333
is a gibson explorer a good buy. my mom is gettin me a new guitatr for christmas and i was thinking about an explorer( yes a gibson this would be my only gift meaning im not rich) anyway my other option would be a schecter hellraiser but im leanin towards the explorer. i play metal and modern rock and i have a line 6 120 amp

thanks in advance

lol made me chuckle...

if i was able to get an explorer id cry, i love explorers

there percectly balanced, and (although many ppl dont believe so) are very diverse and can play ne thing from blues to metal
Quote by tba50333
i dont hate it and in the future i will be getting a new amp. i actually love my lp

that's fine, just make sure you're willing to spend a similar amount on the amp.

Also, try a bunch of thos gibson explorers, so you can cherry-pick the best one.

Quote by makuserusukotto
key word = try

haha, yeah, that's true.

Quote by tpot06
Dave Mc was right in what he said...probably the irish in him

haha, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Gibson Explorer is a great guitar, but I would buy a new amp if I was you instead
Laney GH50L or something like that

and the rest of you, stop with the "you're rich, right?"-crap, mkay? it's just depressing
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
that's fine, just make sure you're willing to spend a similar amount on the amp.

+1. I also agree to whats been said about making sure you pick out the Explorer, as they aren't consistent (are any Gibbys?). And guys if hes happy with his amp, he's happy with it, and he would rather a new guitar.
Word on the street is that Gobson makes spectacular guitars.

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
so, you're "not rich", but you're getting a guitar near $1000? sounds like somebody is rich

Yeah, id be lucky if i got $400 dollars in gifts from my parents...which seems like a lot, but then when i come on here, peoples parents buy them all kinds of ****...wtf?
Between birthday, and christmas, ill bet i get $500 in gifts from my parents.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Yeah, id be lucky if i got $400 dollars in gifts from my parents...which seems like a lot, but then when i come on here, peoples parents buy them all kinds of ****...wtf?
Between birthday, and christmas, ill bet i get $500 in gifts from my parents.

Blah blah blah blah we live in a capitalist country.

Deal with it.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
Blah blah blah blah we live in a capitalist country.

Deal with it.

no. We live in a country with people who think they are unfortunate, but they are auctually more fortunate than most. Its called appreciating what we get, and i do appreciate.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by ChaoticVengence

A $1,000 guitar doesn't make someone rich.

Some kid got a Nissan 350Z for xmas at school last year. That is more along the lines of rich.

I would recommend a new amp instead of a guitar as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by gotarheelz14
Get a new amp bro. A tube amp to be precise

This is the problem with UG. Everyone automatically recommends tube amp after tube amp, just because they're tube, not necessarily quality, while there are quite a few solid state amps out there that are much more versatile and sound quite good.

For about $1,000 you could pick up a killer Randall T2 or V2, Used Line 6 HD-147, Carvin Tone Navigator and power amp, Line 6 Flextone II or III.

I would rather own those SS amps to these tube amps B-52 AT series, Peavey Valveking, 5150/6505, Mesa F/Express, Laney VC series, Crate Palominos, Peavey Classics, or Fender Hotrods
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by FacingUsAll
Word on the street is that Gobson makes spectacular guitars.

i also hate how these threads turn into "i'm slightly less rich than you", "i'd call that rich" etc.

Word just in: no-one cares. we're trying to help him get a good guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with whar most people have said. The Epi LP you have is a nice guitar, a new amp a better option, but you do have a nice amp. But like Dave mc said the sound is limited. A explorer is a good guitar, if you want it id say get it but try a few first
Manchester United
Guys, since when does $1000 = rich? For a Christmas present, sure, its expensive, but that does not mean rich. I'm still Jealous though.
Anywho, I love explorers, good shape, great playability and bunch of other things. I got to play one once, and I loved it.
when you said gobson explorer i thought you were talking bout some knock off brand
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
People, who cares if the kid is rich or not? It doesn't matter. To me, my parents buying me a $1000 dollar guitar for Christmas would be way more dollar value than they ever get me, but IT DOESN'T MATTER.

As far as what to do, I'd say get new pickups, and buy a different amp, not nessesarily tube, but if you want good tone, flexibility, and for a relatively small amount of money, but a Vox AD50VT. Or the 100 watt version. They sound very good for the price (about $400 I think), and are very flexible.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Dave_Mc
The problem with the spider is that, being a modelling amp, it tries to let you get any tone almost regardless of which guitar you use... which means it almost defeats the purpose of buying a new guitar.

of course, this assumes your epi is in playable condition, and you don't utterly hate it.

That is simply not true. I play a gibson les paul classic and a fender strat through my line 6 spider 3 150watt head and there is a big difference in tone between the guitars. A modeling amp doesn't mean it doesn't show the character of a specific guitar. Many of my friends have plugged all kinds of guitars in there and hell even a bass or two and there is a difference in tone between guitars.
Quote by M Power
That is simply not true. I play a gibson les paul classic and a fender strat through my line 6 spider 3 150watt head and there is a big difference in tone between the guitars. A modeling amp doesn't mean it doesn't show the character of a specific guitar. Many of my friends have plugged all kinds of guitars in there and hell even a bass or two and there is a difference in tone between guitars.

That's not what he said. Reread.

...and get a new amp
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by M Power

It feels as if a small part of my soul dies every time I read about someone playing such an amazing guitar through such a **** amp...
Needs pickup replacement,
yes I've played one.
I don't even shred
Quote by ChaoticVengence

Having $1000 in today's society is hardly rich, I wouldn't even call it rich. There are plenty of people who make three times as much in two weeks to a month.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by FacingUsAll
That's not what he said. Reread.

...and get a new amp

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?