I need a pedal that can do metal I have about $200 budget unfortunately it is hard to come buy any of the specific pedals I was looking into in Canada:

Emma ReezaFRATzitz
Carl Martin Heavy Drive
AMT California Sound
Sans Amp GT2 - This is actually available in Canada but I don't need the sound variety.
T-Rex Bloody Mary - expensive, worth it?

So I was thinking about buying one of these online, but I never heard any of them, most of the time I can return it but I have to take shipping and sometimes restocking costs.

Any thoughts? Should I just go to my store and try whatever pedals they have?
never a good idea
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
id say a Fulltone OCD if u have a tube amp. Maybe a Boss pedal.
But do go to a store and try some stuff out.
B4 u buy anything from the internet, check out the return policy on stuff like that.
^ OCD for metal? I think not. That thing gets crunchy at most, at least with my equipment.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid, you gotsa use the OCD along with your amp's natural distortion at near max. But I'd go for a EHX Muff, Double Muff, or if you want heavier distortion, go for the Metal muff.
not to mention you're running it through a fender champ, lets face it, that was never a metal amp
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Sid McCall
^ OCD for metal? I think not. That thing gets crunchy at most, at least with my equipment.

That's b/c your champion 600 isnt meant for metal at all. If you put it over the distortion channel of a mid gain amp, then you should be able to get some nice high gain tones.

But i'd rarely ever suggest buying something without trying it first. Try it with your own gear, even, if the store will allow it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I dunno I also have a Fender Champ, If I crank the volume and drive knobs on the TS9 I can get a good amount of distortion but it's more like rock distortion.

I already have a muff pi and I can get great metal sounds out of it but I am using it for standard rock distortion and would rather not fiddle with the knobs every time I want to switch.

I know the Champ isn't a high gain amp, but surely a pedal will remedy this problem, yeah it's not the best way but a pedal will do for my purposes.
Last edited by ixelion at Oct 4, 2007,
Well, if the champ is your amp, and there is no way you're getting a different one, the only way i can see you even coming close to metal is a pedal. That said, the champ is a very vintage-voiced amp, and it sounds like you're after a more modern tone, and really, no pedal can remedy that....

BUT, a pedal may get your gain high enough if you find the right one. Maybe consider saving up for a more metal amp, if that's mainly what you play?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
No I play mostly blues/jazz/rock I just need the option for metal.

"vintage" voice, "modern" voice those terms really don't mean much to me if it sounds good to me then its good.

Anyway I am not concerned with amps so returning to the original topic:

What online store has a good return policy? Any way I can buy one online try it out and return it with little or no loss?
Quote by zapatista89
never a good idea

Depends. I'd buy a teese picture wah in a heartbeat, despite never hearing one.

I bought my Hermida Zendrive without hearing it, and loved it, they only make about 300 a year. Bottom line is, if you can get your money back, go for it, or at least get a pedal with high resale value, like the ones the TS listed, which some of are pretty good boutiue pedals.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
For $200 USD, you could get a Damage Control Solid Metal. I haven't played one in person, but this video sold me:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FUkG1Omoixw

It has dual 12AX7 tubes in it, and employs a 250V bias. At least to my ears, this sounds like the closest you're ever gonna get to the sound of a Marshall stack or an EVH 5150 turned up to '11' for $200. It's a real tube sound, since it has real tubes in it. I'm ordering one blind from zzounds.com. I just returned a synthesizer I bought from them, and they refunded all my money, including shipping costs, both ways, with no restocking fee. They have a pretty liberal, 30-day return policy.

For $300, you could also get the Damage Control Demonizer. Same thing as the Solid Metal, but adds a direct-recording output and a built-in compressor (this is actually the one I'm getting).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 4, 2007,
I don't know about under 200 USD but if you can afford a Damage Control, look at a Mesa Boogie V-twin Preamp pedal or Bottle Rocket used on EBay.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM