What are the drawbacks for using a laptop for audio recording instead of a desktop?

If its processor speed and RAM are the same, and you use an external hardrive or two for extra memory, then does it really matter?

Im preferably talking about Apples/Macs here BTW.

Thankyou
more connections on a desktop, more stable, easier to work on...

you cant run around with a desktop easily but if you want good sound in your recording youll be staying in a nice quiet place all the time anyways.

overall I suggest a desktop mostly for ease of working with and most importantly of all....desktops stay much cooler and wont run out of battery........
so it just comes down to ease and comfortability and which you prefer,? nothing technical and what not if all the specs are the same?
^Oh thats clever.

On topic - personally if you get a Macbook Pro with a good amount of RAM (or maybe even a Macbook depending on what you plan to do), it should handle all your audio needs. The fact is that most of us will not be able to utilize a quad core processor like the ones found in a Mac Pro unless you have a very high track count with tons of effects.

So if you need portability for other things (say if you want to take notes in class), I would recommend a Macbook Pro as it should be able to handle your audio needs and then some (assuming of course you get a good amount of RAM).
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

well, i prefer desktops. but a good laptop should do well. however 1 issue i have with my own laptop is that it doesn't seem to ground properly, and as result it get a lot of noise in my recordings. I never got this with my old desktop.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
desktops have the advantage of being able to upgrade hardware, ram etc. also if your using a pci soundcard (the fastest audio recording connection) then only desktops can allow for such an expansion unless somebody wants to correct me.

i've been a windows user all my life and hate it, get a mac seriously.
Well if you would prefer a desktop than an iMac with a good amount of RAM should fit the bill fine.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

If you can get a laptop with decent specs, that's great, it's just that you're less likely to be able to get something that powerful.

One thing to remember is that laptops tend to be a lot noisier than computers, and you ideally want a silent computer to record with.
^Yeah good point, however the Macbook Pros and iMacs I have all worked with/owned are much quieter than my work associates laptops - or even desktops for that matter. I have a homebuilt PC, though, that is extremely quiet as I made sure that all the cooling systems utilized produced very little noise. So you can get it either way - you should just look into it to make sure.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Yeah, macs tend to stay quiet better.

I need to get my fans replaced on this thing - they're dusty 4" things, I need to get a couple of 6s or 8s in parallel.
hard disk space on a laptop is limited. You need fast hard drive for recording. Its not like playing back MP3s from a thumbdrive.

If you want to record more than one track at the same time, you need firewire. In most cases you don't need to record more than one track at a time though and can use either analog in or more preferably USB.

But the portability of the laptop is very handy. So a newer laptop with 60GB and firewire is a good setup.
I am in a similar situation. I'm looking a buying a new computer soon for general use and recording. Apart from recording my needs aren't too great, I would only use the computer for a bit of internet, itunes and word processing.

I am looking a going with a laptop as I would like the portability. At the momment I am looking at a macbook or macbook pro and running Logic Studio 8.

If anyone has any experiences with macbooks and logic studio I would love to hear what you think, or if anyone has any other suggestions (mac or pc) in the same price range.

Thanks
Dave
Quote by moody07747
more connections on a desktop, more stable, easier to work on...

you cant run around with a desktop easily but if you want good sound in your recording youll be staying in a nice quiet place all the time anyways.

overall I suggest a desktop mostly for ease of working with and most importantly of all....desktops stay much cooler and wont run out of battery........

he's talking about Macs they're all stable
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.