I was in guitar lesson with me teacher and just in the end of it he talked about the emotion of the chord. like he said, for example, an added 11 chord (like E with G#), sounds like hope, or hopeful. I'm just asking if you know what notes you can add to the chord to make them sound like certain emotions(like fear, hope, saddness, joy or whatever)?
The main purpose of a TV is to have a place to point your furnatures to
Last edited by arondadi at Oct 4, 2007,
E normally has a G#..
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
It depends on the context. In a major key, a dominant 7th chord can sound bluesy; in a minor key it can sound dark and proggy. And it depends on how you play the chord - strumming it, arpeggiating it etc.
E normally has a G#..

+1

It deffinately does!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
In an Eadd11 chord though, it means a G# above the top fifth in the chord (eg E B E G# B G#).
I think C9 has a very emotional sound, although i cant pin down what emotion exactly.
Harmonic context is what allows chords to have "emotional" voice. A chord in isolation doesn't give a whole lot of emotion.
It Eadd11 with the 11 in the bass
The main purpose of a TV is to have a place to point your furnatures to
In an Eadd11 chord though, it means a G# above the top fifth in the chord (eg E B E G# B G#).

I know, i just felt like being an asshole.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by blue_strat

If by Eadd11 you mean Eadd10, then you've got it spot on. The eleventh (fourth) degree of E major is A, so Eadd11 is some E, G#, B with a high A over it in root position. Inversions make add11s and add9s sound very different, so have fun.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
Last edited by MmmCesium at Oct 4, 2007,
That isn't Eadd11. That's Esus4/G#.

^ Ah, yes, you're right .

It's more chord progressions that are emotional, than individual chords imo.
Quote by MmmCesium
If by Eadd11 you mean Eadd10, then you've got it spot on. The eleventh (fourth) degree of E major is A, so Eadd11 is some mix of E, G#, A, and B.
Yeah, I thought something wasn't right there. From what I read, add11 = sus4 but with the third (if that makes sense).
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Yeah, I thought something wasn't right there. From what I read, add11 = sus4 but with the third (if that makes sense).

Pretty much, but as has been pointed out, if the third is only in the bass note then it is generally called Esus4/G#.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
add9 and m7 chords tend to work together to beautiful effect, in my opinion.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You ever watch one of those old mystery movies/tv shows where the detective is like "So and so did it!" Then the piano plays a chord? Usually, the chord played is a minor chord with a major 7th. I guess that's the chord to use when you want people know there's been a twist in the plot.