My band's recorded a tune in GarageBand. Unfortunately, the only interface I have can record one track at a time. We ran the drums through a 16-channel mixer into one input on my Mac. Obviously, I've been having trouble getting a decent sound out of the mix.

Our drummer's set is pretty punchy, and yet, the kick sounds pretty lifeless in the mix. Also, the cymbals aren't overpowering, but very harsh sounding.

Has anyone been in this same situation, and if so, any suggestions on how to mix the set to get a better sound in GarageBand (post-recording)?

If I can use compressors and EQ to model the sounds, any suggestions of generic Hz values of different parts of the set?

Probably irrelevant, but our style is something like UnderOath & Vanna meets Dream Theater & BTBAM (Between The Buried And Me). I love how BTBAM's kick sounds, and I'd be happy to get a sound out of the cymbals that doesn't cut your head off.

Edit: He hits his cymbals pretty hard too. He uses a splash, china, crash, ride, bell, and hats.

Thanks in advance!
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Last edited by DougC84 at Oct 4, 2007,
our drummer mics his kick drum, his toms and he has a mic set up in between the his crash and ride cymbal. it works out pretty nicely
Remember the mics your using will also affect the qaulity and level of the recording.

the kick Drum will be the lowest frequency around 100-200. Then toms then snare the symbals. If i cld remember the exact frequency ranges i would tell you, but for some reason i can't remember them :S

Oh also remember to EQ the different stuff during the recording. If u do it to the whole track you will end up boosting different instruments aswell. For example the snare sits in right with most vocals frequencies.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Last edited by Footzyrama at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by Footzyrama
Remember the mics your using will also affect the qaulity and level of the recording.

the kick Drum will be the lowest frequency around 100-200. Then toms then snare the symbals. If i cld remember the exact frequency ranges i would tell you, but for some reason i can't remember them :S

We have a killer set of drum mics. About a $750 set of mics specially designed for drums, and 4 SM57's.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables