Hey

I play mainly punk rock ..and im in search for a new amp head ( i dont have a cabinet yet but am looking for a 1x12 or 2x12 used one ! ). I also dont use pedals so i would need something that can give me nice cleans and nice crunchy/overdriven tones.

My budget is around 500 $ ..would go with used aswell.

Cheers !
i got a brand new orange tiny terror on ebay for 499 last week. it still hasnt gotten here yet but they are pretty sweet.
Member #2 of the Mike Patton Worshippers club p.m. lalalama 2 to join

listen to metal.
For punk, my 2 biggest suggestions are both out of your range; a JCM 800 or (preferably) a Fender Bassman (SF or Blackface) 50W head. Actually, I've seen the SF ones go for under $500. Look for one, they've got some amazing tone!
^what about tweed bassmans? lol. they do have amazing tone. dunno if it suits punk though......
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yes a TT is a good deal ...nice steal :P
yeah i was also thinking about a JCM 800 ...but its out of my price ..for now.
Quote by which ones pink
Maybe a Crate Palomino V32? Not a head, but you don't need a halfstack. A 30 watt tube combo is enough power for anything not big enough to have a PA.

The V32 is available as a head for $500. If you're thinking about a JCM 800, the Peavey Windsor will do a nice Marshall impersonation for you for a lot less. You'll need at least a 2x12 with it, as it's a 120W amp. That might be the best way to go.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
damn, it seems like everywhere i go i sing praises about my TT. I would wholeheartedly recommend one. If you play old school punk it will give you the tone you want, simple short path class a tube amps are awesome. Now if you are more into modern punk it might be a little lacking on the distortion side, i don't use overabundance of distortion when i play and the TT gives me about a 1/4 knob too much but it sounds awesome. Another important thing to remember is these little tube amps really sound good opened up to about 6 or so and that is not unreasonable with the TT(which is the main reason i bought it) it is neither too loud to stand nor is it too quiet to keep up with the band(i set my TT's 2x12 cab on top of my old peavey 4x12 just for projection purposes and it is plenty loud for whatever i need it for).

when i first started dabbling in guitars about 11 years ago i would always be dissapointed with my amp and try to get one that cost $50 or $100 more, always ended up with a piece of crap that cost $50 to $100 more. if your ready for an amp then save til you have enough to get something worth buying or else within a year you'll just be trading it in for yet another amp. i whole heartedly endorse the TT(thinking about getting a second one and running an A/B box to switch between them) but whatever it is make sure you actually want it don't just get one because your other one sucks cuz it turns into a vicious and expense cycle
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ Great cab. Never heard of the head, and I wouldn't be interested in some no name (to me) hybrid amp. Seriously, the Peavey Windsor should be much, much nicer.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
im sure it would ! ..but the cab i showed u is a lot cheaper ..its only 300 $ .. u have the website maybe they ship to the US ..good luck if u wanna get one !
the amp head and cab are 300?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Look into laney GH50L. It's a JCM800 with balls.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Slats, I've heard the Windsor has really no usable clean. This may not be true, as i haven't tried it, just putting it out there.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Hybrids in general do not give nice crunchy/overdriven tones (unless you like solid state amps tones.) You might as well get a solid state head. For $500 you can do better. A good tube Fender combo and the right pedal would get you closer to the sounds you want if I understand you correctly.
@fifer : only the head costs 300 $ :P

yes i would very much like to go tube .. and i've been looking on ebay and have seen some good deals on tube combos/heads ..but unfortunately the shipping to europe would cost me a fortune. i will just be on the lookout.

thx guys !
^ Peavey retail in the EU, you know, I'd definitely opt for a Windsor and thomann's Harley Benton G212 Vintage with it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by slatsmania
The V32 is available as a head for $500. If you're thinking about a JCM 800, the Peavey Windsor will do a nice Marshall impersonation for you for a lot less. You'll need at least a 2x12 with it, as it's a 120W amp. That might be the best way to go.

That half-stack is gorgeous , shame we don't get them in britain