Ok so I play in a metalcore band and we have about 5 songs. Now, i've been trying to come up with more complex, progressive sounding songs somewhere along the lines of between the buried and me or the human abstract. I feel like every song i write or riff i play sounds the same. It's always that typical metalcore crap and i'm so tired of it. I've tried listening to all kinds of different styles of music and come away with nothing, i've tried taking a break from playing guitar for about 2 weeks but when i come back my technique has suffered which makes me not want to play. I feel like i've hit a wall in my songwriting and i can't get around it no matter what i do. If you could help me or give me advice on how to get around it, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
its natural man. its especially hard with that kind of music, but thats hard to say because its difficult with all music. keep playing the music you love and maybe learn some new covers and jam with as many people as you can. it will come.
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
a metal core band? well those lyrics are easy.
anything that starts with de- will do.
"Decayyyy!" "Destruction!!!!" "Deli Mart!"
[quote="jpgilbert701I've tried listening to all kinds of different styles of music and come away with nothing,.[/QUOTE"]

Listen to different styles of music and play it. Unless you're Amadeus then I would advice to feel it with your instrument, not just your ears (there is some serious grammar problem with this sentence, I know, I just can't solve it :[ ). BTW I have never hear any metalcore band. What do you suggest?
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Quote by One Way Ticket
Two weeks ago, Yngwie Malmsteen walked up to me at a mall and gave me a bag of donuts. He told me "I don eat no focking donuts".
Quote by CasperNG
a metal core band? well those lyrics are easy.
anything that starts with de- will do.
"Decayyyy!" "Destruction!!!!" "Deli Mart!"

wow.
1) Those "lyrics" only show how narrow minded you are.
2) I'm not talking about lyrics i'm talking about writing music.

This tells me you only read like the first sentence and immediately typed in your useless reply.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.