Im doing a thing for english at school and I have to give an explanation of art, except I cannot just put “The quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.” as the dictionary says, but i have to write other stuff.

So do you think that for something to be constituted as art that it needs to have some kind of meaning to others who see it, or does it only need a meaning to the one who created it?

why am I asking the pit?
art=expression. thats the answer. just try to write something off that. good luck in your project.
Quote by VivaLaJam
I'd say art is an expression of ones feelings.

So a baby throwing a tantrum is art?

Expression of one's feelings through a physical medium would be a better definition.

-SD
Well be sure to explain that art is not just anything...like those guys who just do one line on a canvas....its so dumb
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by devilscruffs14
Im doing a thing for english at school and I have to give an explanation of art, except I cannot just put “The quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.” as the dictionary says, but i have to write other stuff.

So do you think that for something to be constituted as art that it needs to have some kind of meaning to others who see it, or does it only need a meaning to the one who created it?

it is art if you think it's art, imo.

you've come across one of the biggest minefields south of Religion.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by SilentDeftone
So a baby throwing a tantrum is art?

Expression of one's feelings through a physical medium would be a better definition.

-SD

a baby throwing a tantrum is expressing its feelings through a physical medium.
im not doing your home work for you, but man thats an easy one, almost as easier than what is the meaning of life and i solved that one lol, but ill start you off-art is anything and everything- thats all you get just think about it, i once seen a pic a shed in an art book b4
This is like asking what is music.

Everyone has their own idea of it and what may be art to one person might not be art to another.

Example: I went to an art museum and saw a photo entitled "Two oranges on a piece of paper" and thats exactly what it was. I didn't see it as art but apparently someone else did or else it wouldn't have been there.

What i'm saying is, i think you could write anything as long as you believe it and are able to justify it.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
"Art is anything that you can get away with."

-Andy Warhol

He's got a point.

Warhol's logic wins in my book.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Art is a communication of aesthetics, imo. The communication part is important-- if you threw a jar of mustard against the wall and called it art, for example, it wouldn't communicate to me, or most people probably. "Good" art should get something across to people.
you got soul, or so you say. hey, i say you don't!

Quote by Sol9989
Last edited by Clandestine1 at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by TheCaptain777
i think the real question here is: What is love?

baby don't hurt me...

ok, I lol'd
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by devilscruffs14
...So do you think that for something to be constituted as art that it needs to have some kind of meaning to others who see it, or does it only need a meaning to the one who created it?

why am I asking the pit?
Why not?

I think you're on the right track already. In my personal definition, art is anything that inspires thought other than what might be directly gotten from it. Written words can be art, but not so much if a statement is made directly, or a question is overtly asked. If the words cause you to ask yourself the question without being told to do so, that's art.

Art can be aesthetically beautiful, but that certainly isn't necessary.

IMHO, the greatest art are those things that inspire the most powerful images, and the deepest thoughts with the simplest devices.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Last edited by clincher09 at Oct 4, 2007,
Art is subjective. Just like music. We can't tell you what art is. Only you know what art is to you.
Art is when you move all the furniture in your basement two inches to the left, and then give it the title "basement: two inches to the left."

More seriously, I think that art could be just about anything that someone does for the purpose of expressing, but in a deeper, more indirect way rather than, in an ordinary fashion simply doing something for the mere sake of getting it done, or just saying or writing something in ordinary language. Music is art. Many aspects of the design of an automobile could easily be considered art. Designing a pyrotechnic Aerial Shell is art. Poetry could be considered art. A performance by an acrobat, martial artist, or Gymnast, or Cheerleader is art!

But then again I could just be full of ****.

Actually, forget what I said, I agree with the guy above me:
Quote by JuicyMango
Art is subjective. Just like music. We can't tell you what art is. Only you know what art is to you.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Art is firstly opinion... then expression and emotion (and anything else). What is or isnt art is opinion, the way you look at something which gets different ideas flowing through the brain. And really, anything is art if/when captured within the frame (not literall)

and sorry my explanation is really crap...
Art, is a form of expression.
It can be used in anything; Theater, Art, Music, Poetry, you name it!
Quote by TheCaptain777
i think the real question here is: What is love?

baby don't hurt me...

don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

and art is absolutely nothing, yet everything. you can use that one for a lot of deep things.