I am currently considering de-fretting one of my basses, as the frets are disgustingly made & it gets some pretty bad buzz sometimes, plus i want a fretless , anyhoo, i was just wondering how this would affect the slap sound?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Many around here will say fretless slap sounds pretty bad, and I'll agree. But I guess if you play with the EQ enough, you can probably get a decent sound out of it. Don't expect anything near a normal slap sound though....fretless slap is much more "rolled off"
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Doesn't Claypool do some fretless slap stuff? Sounds like he's hitting the side of a washtub, but if you dig it, I guess it's fine.

But generally, fretless basses aren't really meant for slap, seeing as the slap and pop sound itself is basically created by strings hitting frets.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Yeah, if you're going in hoping fretless slap will sound like fretted slap stop now, it won't. It has a very distinctive tone all it's own. I personally don't like it. Sounds a little mellow for slap.
If you like ticking of metal against wood, fretless slap will be amazing for you. And yes, Claypool does it. And he's famous. Therefore it's the best.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Wow, there are so many frets on that bass in the Hellborg video it isn't even funny.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn3uiLZY9Jg Here's one though
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 4, 2007,
sammcl-15 That's not a fretless.
It's a Jonas Hellborg signature, by Sound of Sweden.
My friend has one of thoose. It has 27 frets.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Quote by Puma89
sammcl-15 That's not a fretless.
It's a Jonas Hellborg signature, by Sound of Sweden.
My friend has one of thoose. It has 27 frets.

I didn't watch it. I just searched fretless slap.

It was the first video. So I thought there was no need to watch it.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
I didn't watch it. I just searched fretless slap.

It was the first video. So I thought there was no need to watch it.

Ahh I see.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Holy crap! That was some awesome bass playing!
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B