Page 1 of 4
For those of you who have been keeping tabs on the recent trial between the RIAA and the single mother whom they though had downloaded songs off of KaZaA, the jury ruled in favor of the cunts over at the RIAA. The court has ordered that Jammie Thomas pay $222,000.00 in damages to the record companies. That averages out to around $9,250 per song. Ridiculous? You bet your fucking ass it is. The RIAA has basically ruined this poor woman's life. Way to go RIAA, you really know how to raise peoples' opinions about you.

Anyway, here's the article...

Fuck the RIAA

Oh, and if there's already been a topic on this, don't post or whatever. I looked and didn't see anything.
Those mother****ers deserve to be shot. I would do it myself this makes me so pissed off.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
We should all send her a dollar or two. If everyone does...
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I live about 20 miles from where this happened. It makes me glad I don't download music, but I feel horrible for her.
Quote by Gunpowder
We should all send her a dollar or two. If everyone does...

I'm all for that. If someone were to get a-hold of her address or something I would totally send her some cash.
how many did she download? If i were a published artist i would have no problem with people downloading one or two of my songs to see if they like them (i myself dont DL music) but most kids these days download ALL of their music
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Jesus fucking Christ. That's ridiculous. See, that actually dissuades me from buying music.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Stoner stone
how many did she download? If i were a published artist i would have no problem with people downloading one or two of my songs to see if they like them (i myself dont DL music) but most kids these days download ALL of their music

I read somewhere that the name "tereastarr" had been recorded downloading and sharing over 1900 songs but I think they only sued her for 24.
**** the RIAA it should be up to the ****ing artist for ****s sake. It's legal in Canada why not here...
We should buy her that t-shirt from t-shirt hell...

"Sharing is Caring - **** The RIAA"
"The poor didn't want this one."
Holy ****, $220,000?

As if they could stop everyone from DLing music... ****ing idiots.

Quote by happytimeharry
I'm all for that. If someone were to get a-hold of her address or something I would totally send her some cash.

I would too.
So wait guys, she didn't get caught for downloading the music, but for uploading it or whatever to file sharing programs right?
Be cool.
I hate ****ing greedy record labels and i hate the RIAA. Music is an art form and should be free. I'd send her $10 if I could get her adress.
Quote by StreetLight3989
I hate ****ing greedy record labels and i hate the RIAA. Music is an art form and should be free. I'd send her $10 if I could get her adress.

Musicians need to make a living.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Musicians need to make a living.

And they don't make a living from record sales. Wanna know how to support an artist? Buying merch and seeing them live. Out of that $222 grand not a penny of it is going to the artists. I'm willing to bet my right nut on that.
Oh fuck, well this really has no regards to her, but I covered this story for a current events article make-up I had to do yesterday. And the article yesterday said the RIAA couldn't make a move, and thats basically how I covered it.

Looks like I'm screwed on that paper now, because I already turned it in.

Thats really fucked up for that amount of money, but really people, don't fucking download music, its not worth the hassle. Honestly, she did something bad, so she should be punished (not to such an extent as the RIAA gave her, but what can you do?).
Quote by JC13
I saw the beginning of this story on Blabbermouth, and I thought she'd win. That is just ridiculous, I can see her making pay for whatever the songs are worth, but why like 10 grand per song? I doubt the artists give a flying **** anyway... Greedy people, they'll be caught doing something illegal someday.

Because she didn't just download the sings. She uploaded them to P2P file sharing programs. If she just downloaded the songs, nothing would be happening to her. But she uploaded them so others could download. Thats why shes paying 10 grand for every song.
Be cool.
^Do a short follow up paragraph and give it to the teacher. I'm sure she won't mind.
"The poor didn't want this one."
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr

Thats really fucked up for that amount of money, but really people, don't fucking download music, its not worth the hassle.

To tell you the truth, the way the RIAA is handling this whole thing makes me just want to download more.
Quote by happytimeharry
And they don't make a living from record sales. Wanna know how to support an artist? Buying merch and seeing them live. Out of that $222 grand not a penny of it is going to the artists. I'm willing to bet my right nut on that.

Then you just lost your right nut. OF COURSE PROFITS FROM RECORD SALES GO THE ARTIST. THINK ABOUT IT.
Be cool.
Quote by happytimeharry
To tell you the truth, the way the RIAA is handling this whole thing makes me just want to download more.

I understand your reasoning for that, because yes, what the RIAA is doing is just fucking wrong. But honestly, dont download, it is not worth the hassle. Besides, two wrongs don't make a right.
Quote by RocknRoll Live
**** the RIAA it should be up to the ****ing artist for ****s sake. It's legal in Canada why not here...

No it isn't the CRIA shut the Canadian Demonoid system down.
Ouch. I love how they think it is damaging to the record company for people to download music. If it was that bad there wouldn't be platinum records, record stores would be closing down, etc, and that hasn't happened, even though the majority of people download or have downloaded music.
Quote by thedude051
Then you just lost your right nut. OF COURSE PROFITS FROM RECORD SALES GO THE ARTIST. THINK ABOUT IT.

Artists make next to nothing per CD sold. Almost all the profit goes right back into the record company's pocket. Most of their money comes from touring, march sales, endorsements, etc. Oh, and stop using the eye roll smiley. It's beginning to put me in a bad mood...
Quote by thedude051
There's a video of Jesse Lacey of Brand New saying that bands make don't make money off of record sales. They make it off of the tour.

^I guess we said the same thing
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by StreetLight3989
Music is an art form and should be free.

Say you had a band, you spend about $1000 to make an album, you spend hours and hours in a studio, then your album finally comes out but you don't get paid for anything..
Would you do it for free ?
It's like the food chain, you can't stop it, if the RIAA won't take money of some people then others will, and in my opinion doing something illegal and say **** the RIAA won't do any good.

I also feel bad for that woman for having to pay $220,000, but if you can't do the time don't do the ****ing crime, she should be smarter than that but yeah, that's horrible.

AND, in courts corporations > people
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by happytimeharry
Artists make next to nothing per CD sold. Almost all the profit goes right back into the record company's pocket. Most of their money comes from touring, march sales, endorsements, etc. Oh, and stop using the eye roll smiley. It's beginning to put me in a bad mood...

wow, you are a real smart one eh? *cough*cough*Beatles*cough*cough*billionaires from record profits cough*** Son, you have NO CLUE what you are talking about. You aren't even worthy of talking to me.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
wow, you are a real smart one eh? *cough*cough*Beatles*cough*cough*billionaires from record profits cough***
Not every band is going to be the Beatles
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Not every band is going to be the Beatles

still, I proved his logic wrong, didn't I? Artists make large profits from record sales. thats where most of the profits come from. Hes just an idiot.
Be cool.
Quote by Necrolust
Say you had a band, you spend about $1000 to make an album, you spend hours and hours in a studio, then your album finally comes out but you don't get paid for anything..

Duh, he'd do it because like, music is from his soul ololol
Quote by thedude051
still, I proved his logic wrong, didn't I? Artists make large profits from record sales. thats where most of the profits come from. Hes just an idiot.
There's a video of Jesse Lacey of Brand New (signed to a major) saying that bands make no money off od record sales. The make all thier money from tours and merc sales.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by thedude051
wow, you are a real smart one eh? *cough*cough*Beatles*cough*cough*billionaires from record profits cough*** Son, you have NO CLUE what you are talking about. You aren't even worthy of talking to me.

Fuck off and grow up. Happytimeharry is one of the best UGers ever. "Son"? You act about 14, I don't care if your really 30, if you are you should be more mature.
Oh, and guys. I don't think she just "downloaded a few song". As I have stated before, here is a quote from the story "The RIAA hopes that this and the 20,000 other cases serve as a deterrent to would-be file-sharers". I believe she is a file sharer. That is why she got in so much sh**. She was uploading songs for others to download./her fault. No sympathy whatsoever from me.
Be cool.
Quote by Necrolust
It's like the food chain, you can't stop it, if the RIAA won't take money of some people then others will, and in my opinion doing something illegal and say **** the RIAA won't do any good.

I also feel bad for that woman for having to pay $220,000, but if you can't do the time don't do the ****ing crime, she should be smarter than that but yeah, that's horrible.

AND, in courts corporations > people

Artists make next to nothing from record sales. I't all goes to record companys and I have no problem screwing over greedy corporations. If I want to support a band I'll go to a show and buy a shirt.
Quote by thedude051

The Beatles had their own record label.

Also, stop being such a tool.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by happytimeharry

I'll see your right nut and raise you a penis.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
Page 1 of 4