Poll: How often do you change your strings?
Poll Options
View poll results: How often do you change your strings?
Daily
1 1%
Every few days
1 1%
Weekly
1 1%
Every few weeks
17 21%
Monthly or more
61 74%
Voters: 82.
I've, for the past week, been stuck in a rut. I had no motivation to pick up my guitar and no feeling of joy when I played. Then I decided to replace my strings a few hours ago and suddenly I cant put the ****ing thing down.

So, how often does UG change its strings on its guitars and basses?
Daily shouldn't be an option. That's just complete idiocy.

For me, it's about every three weeks on my Fender and every month and a half on my Ibanez.
I used to put new bass strings on every 2 or 3 months, now its like once every 6 months. For guitar I would put new strings on every time I broke a string.
New bass strings every month. I probably won't need to as often now I've left my band, but when I'm actively gigging I often find myself needing to even more often than that.

On my acoustic, every two weeks. Never snapped one yet.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Whenever I feel like it really... Usually about once every month or so, but I don't really play that much.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I have owned my guitar for 2 years and i havent changed the strings once
Quote by Crepe
I have owned my guitar for 2 years and i havent changed the strings once

I bet the strings feel oh so lovely too, and probably don't sound so good.
If you change your strings every day, you seriously are a bit loco.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

About once every year and a half. The last time I changed my strings was well over a year ago. Maybe in the summer of 2005.
Months. I don't like the hassle, and my strings are fine for a long time.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Not often on the electrics because my band is all acoustic now, but every 2 - months on the acoustics.
it really depends. i play several guitars. if i play on one more often, monthly. if i go between my strat and tele and a couple ibanezes and acoutics... before i do a gig, which may be two or three months in between. it really depends. plus, the strings on my strat last longer (11's), but the 9's on my tele and 10's on my ibanezes... not so much.

oh, and on the ones with floyds - i usually wait about as long as i can stand it. i hate restringing a damn floyd.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by makuserusukotto
ever 5-6 days on my main guitar
ever 2-ish weeks on my others

unless your heavily gigging thats ridiculous
EDIT: nah thats ridiculous anyways
and i usually change em every month or so.
Last edited by LaGrange at Oct 5, 2007,
every two to three weeks
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by LaGrange
unless your heavily gigging thats ridiculous

no, but i play about 9 hours a day, and after a few there just so corroded and pitted i cant stand it
i change them when they brake or they lose there tone.

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
every time i break one it gets changed. which has been twice now and ive had my guitar for almost 2 years. i dont play much though. maybe only 5-6 hours a week. therefore they dont really need to be changed that often at all
I change every few weeks, I like how new strings feel and sound, I have a JS1000 and an ESP Xplorer, I've never broken a string on either guitar..and it stays in tune on the js, always
Every guitarist should change their strings every 10 hours..after that they start falling out of tune and the worst part of that is the player gets used to playing out of tune..so change your strings every 10 hours you play

bassist should change every 3-6 months..i change every 5
I change every 2 ish months on my acoustics which are what I mainly play. Electric I've had for three years and I've only changed the strings twice, but I rarely play it to begin with.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I used to put new bass strings on every 2 or 3 months, now its like once every 6 months. For guitar I would put new strings on every time I broke a string.

the bass player in my band hasnt changed his strings for 8 years
I just change mine whenever they break, or if they start to feel like ****.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
I only change strings when a string breaks, and even then just the string that breaks.
I really should change the strings...
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I haven't change mine since 2005.
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Every monthish for my guitars.

Every 3-4 months for my bass.
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
every couple of months. matter of fact i bought a new set yesterday and you just reminded me to change them. thankyou TS
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by Stormx
oh great man god, pray tell: how do I become as cold and emotionless as you?!
i chose every few weeks, but on my jackson it's more like every few months.. i can never be bothered with the floyd and stuff :/